:reb:

#2 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 09 February 2007 - 05:16 PM

Locks only keep honest people out. Arm thyselves.

#3 claykrys

claykrys

Still at it

• Expired Member
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:08 PM

They removed the video, but that is scary. However, Rocketman is right, a lock won't stop a determined thief.

#4 Leary's Ghost

Leary's Ghost

wuzam.o.d

• Expired Member
  • 621 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:54 AM

anybody ever try to "pick" a lock? i have a lock pick tool set. with a little practice you would be supprised how easy it is.

#5 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

In many states a pick set is very illegal unless you are a locksmith.
I have some info on bump keys, never thought to share it here. Allow me to look...http://www.lockpicking101.com/ Can't find the exact link I want but if locks are your thing this site is plenty to get you in trouble and the bump key stuff is there.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

:lol:
lefty,
i'm not trying to help would-be burglars here-
my intent is to warn honest people against
the dangers presented by bump keys,
esp. to folks who might have security concerns
and use a lot of locks.

#7 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:58 AM

So if any key lock can be bumped, what else can be done to protect your shit? The last thing some people would want, is an alarm system that brings piggies to your door. A combination or dial lock would just be a PITA and easily cut with bolt cutters.

What else can be done to keep the burglers out if you aren't home?

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

#9 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

That would work!

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:24 AM

burglars are nervous people
easily frightened away
think layers of security
here's one i use

It is water resistant. Motion sensor activated. The croaking sounds are authenticated by the world-famous Cornel Lab of Ornithology. Motion-activated, realistic-looking Pacific Tree Frog

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/bevfabriccrafts_1936_30217670

motion-detectors make noise but don't summon police
those stickers that say 'protected by brinks', etc. helpful too
it all adds up to deterrence
layers start at the fence, gate should be locked,
dogs in yard and inside house, a few motion detectors,
and locks too, make 'em use their damn bumpkeys
at least it slows them down.
better yet use a few combination locks too.
it's worth it
but in the end
bolt cutters render locks alone inadequate.

stealth in storing valuables helps too,
hidden safes, hollow books,
i used to live in a hotel
where the maids and many other hotel employees had a master key
so i hid money, dope in many places
like inside a telephone or taped to underside of drawer, etc.

#11 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

thier are a few european locks that are side cut and have magnets in them
that ive heard werent bumpable , i dunno

the site lefty linked to has alot of info and is a very good site the myctopia of locks in a way ,
what makes this so bad and somthen you dont hear them talk about is the fact you can bump a "knox box" <-- evil shit and if you know a thing or two about alarms and default installer codes you could almost be a ninja , lol

im always up for sharing info in hopes that it will change things for the better but this is very dangerous and the sad thing is alot of folks depend on this stuff , Security_through_obscurity !

"A system relying on security through obscurity may have theoretical or actual security vulnerabilities, but its owners or designers believe that the flaws are not known, and that attackers are unlikely to find them. The technique stands in contrast with Security by design, although many real-world projects include elements of both strategies. "

here's alot of info on them :

http://www.toool.nl/index-eng.php
http://www.toool.nl/bumping.pdf
http://downloads.ore...ke/lsiguide.pdf

#12 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

Hip, I was seriously wondering. I know how much you endear theives, I was a bit taken aback.
I will share what I know. This comes from a older dealer of a real quiet scene, but I found to be practiced universally in said city. You get a good (read solid) door, install 5 different locks & use three of them. A very skilled theif knows if he locks or unlocks a dead bolt, but some dead bolts are reverse action & unless a theif really wants whats in there he won't waste the time. Or catch you coming out the door & throw a gun in your mouth. Or smash through the wall w/a http://www.firemarkt...om/clemens.html. This is the same fellow that opened a closet across the hall from his door stuffed with bowling balls to greet five police and a dog unit coming up a narrow as fuck stairway. Needless to say he had plenty of time. Big holes in the wall, got 4.5 out of 5.5 on the steps. It would seem some battlements have profoundly little effect on impending large objects and gravity. He should have automated it, but his timing was excellent.
The bump key is the new fad, funny thing is it works better on quality locks. Ironic, huh? It came out of Europe afaIk and the theory behind it is very logical when you think of the tiny springs keeping tension on the pins. A simultaneous shock in the same direction, combined w/a twist at the exact same time, one is in business.
The best padlock, for some applications, is a "puck lock". This is the tool for removing them. http://www.firemarkt...com/Breaker.htm
I was really wondering what H3 was saying here, but if knowing how shit comes off/opens/is destroyed, I'd watch for the DeWalt cordless grinder. Been waiting for one for years. Carry a few batteries, grab a few cut-off discs, your dead bolt is dust, padlocks leave, people cringe.
Applied technology is what it is.

#13 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:29 AM

Lot's of good tips there Hip. Keeping a couple lights on to make it look like someone is home would help too.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

i figure thieves already know about this shit
but many honest folk never give it much thought

#15 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:40 AM

Buy a big ass dog. Someone may go fishing w/a stungun on a stick, but they must come prepared...
Microwave fields are impenetrable, absolutely. A fly can set it off, one must tune for man-sized objects. Add pressure plates. So kill the power, and back-up to it...And do you want the police to respond?
I know someone that has video sent live to his phone if a field is broken. As good as I know of.
Edit: Honesty implies many things. Very few are totally honest, least of all to themselves. Those that engage in illegal activities should know how fast something can happen, as the status from "honest citizen" to inmate is profound yet sudden.

#16 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:50 AM

without getting to mush into my personal life i can say i work in the security field and for 100% without livening in a prison your only as secure as you feel !
locks are meant for honest folks and alarms help with insurance and fire protection , but you have to take into account the respond time from the
alarm to the monitor station , then the monitor station to the police ,to the police getting there ,etc,, only takes a second to smash and go ,
i believe a dog is better then an alarm system when it comes to a deterrent !

#17 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1171129110
http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1171129110
Here's my two attack dogs... (got them to do that by spraying a spray bottle stream at them.. they love it... )
Cut the bottom of your privacy fence about a foot.. (like a little window) then replace with double layer of chicken wire.. your dogs will make more noise.. yes they will.
Also I got a doggy door.. dogs have complete run of outside, and they can come inside too HEHE
One time I found a duffel bag beside my house in the dark area by some bushes... it had canned meat in it (i imagine to get past dogs) and stolen credit cards, tv tuner boxes, and the main thing.. a gun....
I called the po-lice to take all that stolen shit away.. plus the gun was rusted.. mine are much better anyways.
Since then I've installed motion activated flood lights in the dark areas outside my house.
There ARE alarms systems you can buy now that when setup with your internet/cpu can monitor anything in your house from broken windows, to water damage, to fire.. and can send a message to your cell phone only.
I saw one in a magazine once too which used a broke apart prepaid cell to call your cell if it went off... there are stuff out there.. just need to research.
If I end up going down this road someday I'll tell ya which I used. ;)

#18 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:24 PM

The secuity company sticker alone decreases your chances by alot, if I remember right around 80%. It also raises your neighbors chances by the same amount. I have an alarm system that almost bit me in the ass once. My dog set the motion detectors off and I had the cops there waiting for me when I got home from work one day. They easily could have gone in and found enough stuff to lock me up for a while. That is the downside to alarms hooked up to the cops.

#19 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

Alarms are good, but watch for the fellow that bricks the window and waits 'til the boyz leave. And they do just that if you ain't handy. Also, if they can't approach the house safely they often take the dogs with them. So call & shut their phone off first.

#20 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

There are also cameras. Ones that work are affordable now- especially if you have broadband. But there are good looking fakes as well. They have lights and move and everything. I know all they have to do is hide their face- but like hip said: layers.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!