• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

While plain ol'e ziplock bags can't be PC'd without rupturing ,they can be steamed..
So ,in this experiment i used the fractional sterilization Tek [ two steams 24hrs apart ] on 1 gallon ziplocks, filled with one pound of BRF/Horse poo..

After sterilization the bags are still supple/flexible and not brittle or weaken'd
at all...

First pic shows the "Hefty one zip" bag used ..25 bags for 4 Bucks...

second pic - the Polyfill needed for a filter and a wire tie to hold in place..

Third pic - the assembled bag, ready for steaming...The filter and zip was trimmed to ensure that the innoculating needle will penetrate through the
filter base after sterilizing...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1114.jpg
  • IMG_1112.jpg
  • IMG_1113.jpg

#2 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

The Trick for making the polyfill filter nice and secure ,is to grab a loose handfull and stretch so that it's 3 times longer than wide -then twist it, so it compresses abit, then fold in half...
This creates a nice bulb shape which can then be mounted in the bag opening.

The wire tie is easiest to work with if its a bit longer than the one pictured..
8 ins is about right...

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 09:53 AM

:cool:
yep, i use ziplocks to pasteurize my donkey doo in,
they do get soft while hot but can take it ok.

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:06 AM

When the bags are ready ,they are placed in a large covered pot for the steam..

Bags are on an elevated rack above the water level [1.5 inches]

This part is important ,,I used a flannel shirt to insulate the bags from any direct contact with the metal ,also the sleaves were used to seperate the bags from each other..[the bags have a slight tendancy to stick to each other but actually not enough to be a real problem] .....

The pot was heated on a medium flame till steam appeared ,then turned down low ,to just a very slow steam..Approx a half to three quarters of an inch of water per hour is lost..

The last pic shows the bags after steaming [60mins for the first run and 75mins second run]...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1118.jpg
  • IMG_1127.jpg
  • IMG_1116.jpg

#5 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:22 AM

Yep ,,I'm pretty happy with what i see so far,,The first test bag is about 12 days old and half way colo'd , but it has no filter, just zipped shut...

Another important point is to let the pot cool completely b4 removing the bags , as they are soft when hot...
These newer filtered bags were knocked up 4 days ago,,Hope to see some action soon..
If this works then it could be an easy n' cheap no PC method for spawn or
fruiting invitro dealio...We'll see..

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

pretty clever going the fractional sterilization route with these
:bow:

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

Thanx....:)
This is the first test bag ,11 days old, had just been massaged yesterday, so myc is recovering..It's kinda hard to see white on white but doing fine..

I double bagged this first one to be safe but it's not nessessary...Also no filter so it may slow down..
I weighed all the bags so i can track the moisture loss ,through the filter and also through the bag itself...

Debating whether or not i should cover the filter on the other ones, with foil to slow any avapouration...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1134.jpg

#8 cheshire

cheshire

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:52 PM

:meditate:

#9 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

this is awesome golly!
this would save people like me who have no access to poly bags!
i hope all goes well! good luck!

#10 Guest_Water_*

Guest_Water_*

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

So might this work for growing pans?

#11 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

If it works for Cubes then should work with any,,but invitro Pans could be a real challenge...

#12 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Very interesting.:eusa_thin

#13 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:37 AM

Great thread Golly! I found when I used ziploc's they held up really well. I only used the freezer bag style though.

I understand you are using these as spawn bags, so are you inoculating with lc or grain?

I would think even just steam past. like folks do in jars, then spawning your colonized grains would work with this method really well also.

Makes me excited to use the freezer bag of poo I've been saving. Thanks for such a great and informative post.

#14 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

Always dig ur experiments Golly!
Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

#15 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

Thnx...The bags should be good for any innoc with a needle, like LC or spores.

G2G would be a real pita though, as u would have to remove and reset the filter...Of course if you just use the ziplock as is, then G2G would be a snap, but another air exchange method would be needed...

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

obire

http://mycotopia.net...65&d=1118464157

see
http://mycotopia.net...highlight=obire

#17 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:47 AM

Intersting, although I read a long ways back that brand new bags are sterile until opened. So with this concept in mind I have successfully used new zip log bags to either grow out into straw, or another substrate,of course, using a good inch thick verm layer as my filter.

In fact, I've had a greater success rate than trying to use spawn bags. But this steaming process may prove better yet, so I will give it a try soon.

Thanks for the tip.

#18 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

Ok... for a slightly bigger challenge - sterilizing these three Rye Grass seed bags by steaming twice for 80mins...
Also a bit different filter. Polyfill just jammed into the zip and glued the slider in place with "goop"..

Seems to have held just fine..There was some temporary stickyness where the two sides of the bags had to be pulled apart after the steam,but seem ok..
Being as less of the bag is cut off with this filter method , it gives more room inside...
The bags actually gained 2grams in the proccess..

The other filtered bags have lost 5 grams of water in 7 days while sitting in a very dry atmosphere ,so i may have to take some steps there...

The fully zipped bag has lost 2.5grams moisture in 13 days...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1139.jpg

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

maybe smaller vents,
like get some 1/2 inch plastic pipe cut into like 4-6 inch section,
stuffed with polyfil ?

#20 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

Yeah the polly was a bit hard to get the needle through for innoculation..It's proly best to make a dot with a magic marker on the side of the bag and shoot through that,,then goop the hole..Have to wait for the glue to dry though, B4 shaking the bag up..
I want to keep it as simple as possible ..
One bag is Panaeolus ,the others Cubes ,,Going to fruit in the bag as semi-invitro...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!