• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

in a major life change-jj

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Someone asked me what the best long term storage is for spore prints. I told them I was not sure as I did not deal with spores much at all. Told them that with the spore syringes it seems the best method is to keep them out of light and refrigerated.

However what about the spore prints, did some background checking and got lots of conflicting data. The most common reply was to keep them in a cool dry place out of light. Does this mean in an solid air tight container stored in the fridge, or at a cool room temperature?

Could really use some expert advice, especially from you spore vendors out there, how do yall store your prints?

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

in a file, in folders of strains, inside ziplocks.
eg. a cool dry place.
i wouldn't use 'fridge as it's fairly dirty and wet.

#3 entheogenisis

entheogenisis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

I know a foaf that has used 50% glycrol/water solution to freeze syringes for some time and still been viable spores.

Prints have been stored in foil placed in the plastic paper protector sleeves sealed an left in the fridge. As hip said, the fridge is a dirty place. Make sure if you store the prints there they are sealed well.

#4 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:06 PM

I know a foaf that has used 50% glycrol/water solution to freeze syringes for some time and still been viable spores.

Prints have been stored in foil placed in the plastic paper protector sleeves sealed an left in the fridge. As hip said, the fridge is a dirty place. Make sure if you store the prints there they are sealed well.

Interesting cryogenic info, same tek I use to store my cell cultures when working with plasmids. How long have they been good for might I ask, has your FOAF had any go bad yet?

As for the print quality, nice and thick but done out in the open so they are already contamed, plus I am pretty sure some were collected from the wild.

in a file, in folders of strains, inside ziplocks.
eg. a cool dry place.
i wouldn't use 'fridge as it's fairly dirty and wet.

And thanks for the fridge tip H3, and I really like your file idea. If they don't need that cool of temp then why waste the fridge space.
--------------
Anyone else, vendors' feedback???

#5 entheogenisis

entheogenisis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

Never had any for more than a year, but they were still viable. They will clump but a good shake will break em right up. Not actually sure how long one could keep them.

#6 spacecowboy

spacecowboy

• Expired Member
  • 910 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

They will clump but a good shake will break em right up.

Epp tubes with a Vortex ;)...right on man. Time for a deep freeze cryogenic tek. Please keep us informed and thanks for the great info. Might the glycerol cause premature germination?

#7 greenweanie

greenweanie

Post Whore Extraordinaire

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 10:18 PM

I just scraped spores from a foil print, it was a 6 year old print, growing great here :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!