Paradox
©
Fisana

- - - - -

Coir Alternatives For Bulk Substrate Recipes?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mycolumbian_*

Guest_mycolumbian_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:53 AM

In all my readings here it seems that a high percentage of folks like using coir for substrate and casings. While there is a few "grow stores" in town that probaly carry it, I was just wondering if there was an equally good north american product that compares.

any help appreciated

M

#2 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:26 AM

castings?

#3 cheshire

cheshire

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:04 AM

peat moss, vermiculite

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hell yeah...My fave is shredded hardwood mulch ..use it anywhere you would normally use coir...

#5 Guest_greysRDbest_*

Guest_greysRDbest_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

sorry not hijacking, but Golly...you definitly mean shredded not chipped right? just making sure were all clear on that....and do you make your own or process it anyway before usage???

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

for use a substrate proly only worm castings would be on par with coir,
peat ain't gonna cut it.
peat's ok though as a casing,
just understand that nothing is quite the same,
not exactly interchangeable in every regard.

#7 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Only for the substrate and only if you weren't already planning on using straw or poo or a mix thereof, people have posted good results using critter country. Its a straw based kitty litter. I point this out cause it seems to be pretty easy for most people to get at pet stores. Other similar brands too. You can get coir at pet stores too, but its more $$$ there. Also on eBay.

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:54 AM

Yup ,shredded,,,It has lots of fine fibres which mycelium love ...A 3 dollar bag goes a long way ..Just remove the larger chunks ..The nutritional value is similar to coir..
As a substrate with verm and poo - it's excellent, or just spawned heavily by itself ..
I'm using some now with a couple o grows and maybe a hundred times so far....
i think it's actually superior to coir ,except for having to sift out the chunkie chunks...

#9 Guest_mycolumbian_*

Guest_mycolumbian_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:59 AM

What kind of mulch do you use? Any brand name that you can pass on that I can look up?

Thanks

M

P.S: I'm also curious (but dont want to make a whole other thread) can long grass like quack grass ,which grows 3 feet high and has invaded my garden be cut, dried, and treated like wheat straw? I removed PILES of this sneaky grass last spring and just composted it. Has anyone had success using mature grass stalks (not lawn clippings) as a straw substitute?

This also brings up the thought, what about using canary reed grass (grows locally) also known as the DMT bearing Phylaris grass as a wheat straw substitute? Can the alkaloids in the grass be assimilated by the mushroom mycelium?

more random thoughts

M

#10 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:27 PM

might be good to add some other stuff to it

#11 Guest_mycolumbian_*

Guest_mycolumbian_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:30 PM

might be good to add some other stuff to it

I was meaning using the dried, chopped, pasteurized grass AS an alternative additive to a bulk substrate mix. I'm trying to tink of local materials that might work.

#12 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

golly can you get that at lows/home depot?

the grass wold probably work after all straw is a grass compost works to

#13 Guest_mycolumbian_*

Guest_mycolumbian_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:39 PM

Some very cool readings about grass in Space Cowboys posting:

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=6556 chapter 4

actual pdf file is: http://mycotopia.net...39&d=1135019290

The whole chapter describes alternative substrates for mushroom cultivation.

#14 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:46 PM

Those grass materials will work great.

#15 Guest_mycolumbian_*

Guest_mycolumbian_*

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:59 PM

I'd really like to explore what locally generated fibers can have good results. Every area has their special ones that work best.

#16 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Shredded mulch is widely available at nurseries, i get mine in bulk for the garden..Don't know brand names as most is generated locally..It maybe a seasonal product at Hardware and Home stores...

#17 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

Here's a current example of how well mycelium takes to shredded mulch.

BRF cake,crumbled and mixed with the Mulch in a gallon ziplock, then cased with
more mulch ...Spitting out some chunky boomers...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1157.jpg

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:03 AM

mulch can be a LOT of different materials, from leaves to grass to bark.

#19 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:26 AM

Well specifically Hardwood Mulch is pretty uniform ,in that it's primarily sapwood thats shredded from sawmills ,,I have not seen much bark in the mix...From the many different places i have purchased , it all seems very similar but the tree type proly quite variable...

#20 joluvs2gro

joluvs2gro

• Expired Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

I am having some incredible luck with shredded cardboard pasteurized with worm castings. I just take the big cardboard jiffy pots, used for plants, tear them up in little pieces and mix castings in with them. Then dump boiling water in, let it soak overnight, drain and let it dry for a day in the sun. It seems to soak up the water soluble nutes in the castings. I put a little straw on the bottom, then my mycellium, then a layer of cardboard, another light layer of straw with some more castings, more myc, then the last layer of cardboard. The myc is tearing it up! I am going to try mixing in some shredded hardwood mulch on my next bulk though, I am having horrible luck with coir. I got this brand called Big Daddy from the hydro store and it doesn't seem to be doing me any good. Any body else have any experience with this brand?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!