203 replies to this topic

#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:29 PM

from CBS tonight

Beekeepers in 22 states have reported bees dying in huge numbers.

Jeff Pettis of the U.S. Department of Agriculture says parasites and disease have killed bees in the past, but never anything like this.

"We went through multiple hives and we couldn't find anything that I would even call a beehive, so it was depressing," Pettis says.

Part of the mystery is that colonies can go from active and healthy to dead and gone within days. For beekeepers, that's a loss that stings.

They "just disappeared," says beekeeper Louise Rossberg. "There's nothing there. There's no bees on the ground anywhere. There's just a completely empty hive."

In just a few weeks, Rossberg has seen hundreds of her hives go empty. "I don't know what to do," she says. "And I'm not alone."

For now, plenty of beekeepers are stacking up silent and empty hives. But scientists are working hard to find the cause and a cure for what's ailing the bees

#2 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:36 PM

WTF?!?! That's crazy. I've heard of a lot of other bee probs but nothing like that. Hope they figure it out b4 it affects food or honey stocks. mmmmm, honey...

#3 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:40 PM

Dane Cook should be thrilled to hear about this :neutral:

#4 dr.gonzo

dr.gonzo

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:25 PM

honey prices will rise. is it because this winter has been the coldest in 4 years? I know oranges are taking the hit right now. I read a sign at the store and they put a limt on them and the price was a doller higher. NOW IS THE WINTER OF OUR DISCONTENT! I know I cant work because of how much frost is in the ground.

#5 shroower

shroower

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:36 PM

Aliens like honey. They took the bees for mars colonization.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

DADE CITY - Dave Hackenburg was the first to notice it - a mystery disease that's killed half the nation's bees.

"It's basically in 22 states, maybe more than that," he said.

The mystery illness hit Florida first, and Dave's farm hard. He had 1900 hives with millions of bees - now most are gone.

"You have a hive of bees that are there, and within a matter of weeks the bees dwindle down, disappear, and fly out - don't come back. When you get done, you have a hive empty - no dead bees on the ground," said Hackenburg.

It's a staggering and unprecedented loss - one that scientists can't explain.

The dead bees have traces of almost every disease that's affected bees for the past hundred years.

There is something knocking down their immune systems - their ability to fight off disease," explained Entomology professor Diana Cox-Foster.

Every year, bees pollinate crops across the nation.

"One out of every three bites of food we eat is dependent on the honey bee," offered Hackeburg.

#7 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,031 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:04 PM

Maybe the bee's are on strike....

It says "the dead bees" but no bee bodies are ever found...

#8 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:09 PM

The implications are terrible on this one....as stated above....it could drastically affect our foods supply! The possibility of limited quantities will drive prices sky high..scary shit...I like to eat!

#9 Bio_DUD

Bio_DUD

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:21 PM

I just bought two hives last year.
Hopefully they are fine buried in this snow!
I wish I would have built my indoor observation hive which would have been fun...
Buy honey now cause shit's about to flow:thumbdown:

#10 dr.gonzo

dr.gonzo

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:28 PM

http://www.cite-scie...e=14&prov=index

what better time than to post this pic

Posted Image

Whos up for living like the indians did? and of course bring the steroid chicken.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:28 PM

Maybe the bee's are on strike....
It says "the dead bees" but no bee bodies are ever found...

no, they aren't found near the hive
but some have been found-

an analysis of dissected bees turned up an alarmingly high number of foreign fungi, bacteria and other organisms and weakened immune systems.

honey isn't the problem, we get most from china
the problem is that
about 2/3s of all flowering plants, fruits and vegetables
rely on bees , and to lesser extent birds and bats,
for pollination -
without bees to pollinate
there won't be any apples or almonds or many other crops.

#12 dr.gonzo

dr.gonzo

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:35 PM

put what bees you have left in an organic green house w/o toxic chems and keep inside for a while

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:39 PM

apparently this Colony Collapse Disease {CCD} is just killing bees in the USA for now,
hopefully we'll be able to import & breed more
once the problem is identified and 'solved'.
but yeah,
i figure food prices will increase considerably by this coming fall harvest.

#14 dr.gonzo

dr.gonzo

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:41 PM

"In France over the past thirty years, the bee population has been diminishing and becoming increasingly fragile. The blame can be placed squarely on man’s shoulders: the industrial exploitation of nature, the excessive addition of chemicals to produce better quality honey in greater quantities. The quest for more has backfired" from that science link.

and you cant get everyone to listen, too conditoned to this comy life style and taken granted for by billions. cant beat em' join em right? Im goning to start melting plastics right away.

#15 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:46 PM

honey isn't the problem, we get most from china
the problem is that
about 2/3s of all flowering plants, fruits and vegetables
rely on bees , and to lesser extent birds and bats,
for pollination -
without bees to pollinate
there won't be any apples or almonds or many other crops.

true but like gas they will raise the price

they talk about the immune system getting shot BEE AIDS

#16 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 11:54 PM

this is not good.

things are changing allot faster on this planet lately :mistrust:

[on a side note: i love the new feature where double posting is detected and disabled because it just saved me from doing so] :lol:

#17 Xerces

Xerces

Embedded Spirit of Love & Power

• OG VIP
  • 971 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:42 AM

hmm.. funny this is happening in the US.
scary shit is happening all over the world, nature-related, and much more scary things will happen. maybe then will man dare look at his own face.

#18 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:40 AM

the world is comming to an end

#19 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,615 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:11 AM

The world has come to an end many times (ask an Apache, among others). These days are just the beginning of our turn.

Honey bees are not native to N. America, like a lot of the crops they pollinate (they were brought together). We in N. America do have natural pollinators, like carpenter bees, but they don't quite do the job as well as the little swarming guys, and I don't know if carpenter bees pollinate the crops that honey bees do, nor if they could do it on a significant enough scale to replace the honey bees. This honeybee sudden death problem has been going on for years, I guess it's now getting severe enough for the media to catch it. At least staples like corn and wheat are self-pollinating...

One thing that I find interesting is the mention of the fungi found inside their bodies. I wonder if the kill off is not due to a parasite but perhaps the fungi plays an active role? After all, this phenomenon is the basis of Paul Stamets' mycopesticide patent, so maybe this is the same thing in an undesireable context? I wonder if this is killing the Africanized "killer" bees as well? They also pollinate, but are less desireable to have in colonies around your farm!

Monsanto will probably come out with a Deluxe Farm Combo Package someday soon where you buy GM "terminator gene" seed, special compatible herbicides/pesticides, and GM "Super Pollinator" Parasite-Resistant Frankenbees. But it won't work over the long term, and 'genetic drift' will screw us all someday.

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

this is not the same slow die off that has been going on for years-
this is sudden, only a few months into it,
and new.
billions of dollars in crops are already at severe risk .

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!