Fisana

- - - - -

Tom Volk's Site worth a look

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_karl_*

Guest_karl_*

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:58 PM

I lost this site a while back and found again. He also has some stuff on indoors morels if U ask.?
http://TomVolkFungi.net

#2 Guest_realschmeal_*

Guest_realschmeal_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:53 AM

I like that website alot, that guy loves fungi. Thanks for the link man.

#3 Guest_phungi_*

Guest_phungi_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:48 PM

Thats crazy, the city of La Crosse and UWL are near and dear to my hart. Much love for that area of the US. Never would have guessed that they had Myco Courses there.

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:54 PM

Cool sight! Thanks for the link.

#5 Guest_karl_*

Guest_karl_*

Posted 13 February 2005 - 08:27 PM

more Volk goodies.

http://botit.botany....i/nov2004.ht ml
============================
Surprisingly, another industry that benefits from the enzymes of Trichoderma is the blue jean industry. You probably have heard of stone-washed jeans, or you may even own a pair or two. So you're probably thinking, "hmmmm, stone-washed jeans-- that must mean they hire little old ladies with babushkasTM to beat the jeans against the rocks in the nearby stream." In fact nothing could be farther from the truth. They dump the regular jeans into a large vat of water and add Trichoderma reesii cultures to the mix. The cellulases of the fungus partially (but irregularly) digest the cotton of the jeans, making them soft and appearing that they were washed using stones. In reality, "stone-washed jeans" should be called "fungal-digested jeans." Mycologists may be the only people who would buy jeans called by such a name. However, you probably know that it's all about the marketing. Interestingly, T. reesii was isolated from a decaying tent on the south Pacific island of Samoa. (Thanks to Gary Samuels for this information.)
==========================================

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!