• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Forager

Forager

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:32 PM

This little mutant appeared in a tray of otherwise normal mushrooms. Not sure what caused this, but it could be the substrate. Two PF cakes were mistakenly spawned to what I think was old peat/verm casing material. Needless to say, the tray never amounted to much.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1872_35_1.jpg
  • IMG_1878_4_1.jpg
  • IMG_1868_31_1.jpg
  • IMG_1859_27_1.jpg
  • IMG_1867_30_1.jpg

#2 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:35 PM

are mutants safe to eat?

#3 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

nothing wrong with eating a mutant..

#4 entheogenisis

entheogenisis

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:48 PM

nothing wrong with eating a mutant..

That depends on what she looks like. I definately wouldn't bring her to meet mom. :eusa_shif

#5 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:51 PM

I've had some look like that before too.
I like 'em and I think that they are cool.
:D

#6 drtask

drtask

funguy.of.caps

• Expired Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

i like that mutation. i wanna replicate it cause it's so f-ing cool lookin'. :bow:

#7 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

yea its definately got street cred.

#8 The_Bliss

The_Bliss

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:28 PM

What strain? Foaf has a few EQ growing that look just like that.

#9 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

i like that mutation. i wanna replicate it cause it's so f-ing cool lookin'. :bow:

it is cool looking, but, it prolly won't clone. the mutation is called rosecomb. it's caused by cleaning chemicals and petrolium based products. prolly some residue left over from cleaning.

#10 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:07 PM

yeah I've heard lysol loves to do that with shrooms.

#11 Forager

Forager

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:13 PM

I think the strain was Amazon.

Rosecomb, eh? Sounds familiar...the only cleaning chemical used was bleach. It's possible there was extra residue when the tray was spawned. No Lysol, but it is also possible that some alcohol came in contact. It was used to wipe the utensil the casing was applied with. Otherwise, what about excessive hydrated lime content in the 'substrate' that was actually an old casing mix?

Either way, it's not that uncommon and is harmless. It's just freaky looking!

#12 Forager

Forager

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:25 PM

Definitely rosecomb, after reading the info on it. Thanks for the tip- this site really is a wealth of info. There are some prime examples in that link.

It is interesting how only single fruits are affected, possibly due to the theory about water droplets hitting pins. Makes me think about another possible source, when the lid to the tray was cleaned and loosely fitted during pre-pinning/post-casing, water droplets formed and dripped down on the substrate. The lid might have had excess soap/bleach residue.

#13 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Definitely rosecomb, after reading the info on it. Thanks for the tip- this site really is a wealth of info. There are some prime examples in that link.
The lid might have had excess soap/bleach residue.

happy to be of service :D

yeah, the lid is usually gives me trouble too when it occurs. often i can see residue after it begins to steam up. i switched soaps once and had a lot of trouble too, but have not had any trouble since changing back.

#14 shroomtastic

shroomtastic

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

looks like some weird shit off of total recall lol

#15 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:43 PM

cheshire seems to be having the same troubles http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=20294

hehe here's one of my babies .....

#16 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:19 PM

hey TCO,
I think Hip3 found your shroom all grown up...

Bad%20Apple.jpg

#17 andyspof

andyspof

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:24 PM

Ive been contemplating deliberately trying to obtain a rosecomb mutation, and eventually get one where the entire cap becomes inside out gills on top, top of the cap on bottom. I know that due to the whole enough monkeys with typewriters will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare theory, that achieving that is possible. But can you clone and carry on that mutation eventually? anyways great picture.

#18 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:03 PM

Ive been contemplating deliberately trying to obtain a rosecomb mutation, and eventually get one where the entire cap becomes inside out gills on top, top of the cap on bottom. I know that due to the whole enough monkeys with typewriters will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare theory, that achieving that is possible. But can you clone and carry on that mutation eventually? anyways great picture.

:lol: LMAO CM!!! :lol:

andy - i played around with this a lot in my younger days. never had much luck cloning the actual mutation. mostly got lumps of gills if anything at all. some just produced regular fruits. i think it depends on where you take the cloning tissue from. the more genetically damaged and deformed the sample is..the worse the results.

however, and this is totally theory i have no recorded proof, i believe that susceptibility to the mutation can be bred into a strain. i have a malaysian isolate that is highly temperamental. it not only produces some other mutations but will rosecomb if you look at it wrong. it was taken from spores of a rosecombed parent. like i said, could just be me, but my normal isolate is no more sensitive than any cubie strain.

#19 izzbizz

izzbizz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:56 PM

chosen one, that mutant pic w/ the 'teeth' looks like the head of that little stop-motion animation guy in a Tool video. hehehe

#20 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:48 PM

That depends on what she looks like. :eusa_shif

Especially if it's one of those chicks from the X-Men..like Halle Berry:loveeyes:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!