• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Jose_sixpac

Jose_sixpac

Djembe~Woof

• Expired Member
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

I love Kim-chee, Well I think that was her name.

Did a tour 2inf Div Camp Casey, back in 77...besides kimchee there is kok-dugi, which is like kimchee but with this radish they use which seems more like a cucumber when it has fermented. All restaurants have it for their regulars, but they won't serve it unless you ask for it here in J-Zee.

and some Soju to wash it down.

Dup-shi-daw,
STMF
Jose

#42 Coughing_Anon

Coughing_Anon

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

At my fave local korean joint has delicious pickled cucumber kimchee with some kinda red sauce. It's soooo damn good. Hot and cool. :eusa_clap

#43 pubensis

pubensis

Phallic Mushroom rep.

• Expired Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

So, just water, no salt?
Any ideas on what to cover the top with? Is just a lid not screwed on all the way sufficient?

I'm super interested in this thread, as I recently got into drinking/brewing kombucha and beer, therefore getting interested in all other sorts of fermented food and drink.
Do you drink any fermented beverages?

I am working on cutting salt out of my diet completely so I don't use any salt. The salt does make for a better ferment though. Unfortunately it also makes it really salty and messes with my body chemistry too much. The original recipe I made this one from used a shocking amount of salt like a cup or more per gallon of soak water I think.

Personally, I'm using baggies at the moment. Just trying to keep bugs off of it. Loose lids might work. I have used a tshirt and elastics before also.

I drink kombucha and kefir pretty regularly.

Some people say that the ideal diet would consist of 10% fermented food, and I keep this as a sort of guide line. I usually am at about 5% or less though. I can only eat so much fermented cabbage with every meal... lol

#44 Coughing_Anon

Coughing_Anon

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 258 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:40 PM

I see.
I think I might try it both with and without salt and see how it goes.
I used to buy like a gallon jar of kimchee every once in a while at the local international supermart, but I'd only end up eating out of it like 3 times before I decided it was too spicy.
Koreans are pretty damn tough if they can eat that stuff every meal. Which I can attest to because I've had tiny Korean girls kick the crap out of me in martial arts practices before. :p

All my korean friends in high school claimed that eating kimchee with every meal made koreans the strongest people on earth. Funny, cause I always saw them eating cheeseburgers all the time.

#45 pubensis

pubensis

Phallic Mushroom rep.

• Expired Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

After a few days or whatever (when you like the flavor) take the top layer of kimchi (the gross looking one) and throw it away (do all the jars). Put lids on em' and store em'. If you leave them out in warm air they will get more sour faster, in the fridge the process is slower.

Attached Thumbnails

• finished7-8-09.JPG

Edited by Freaky, 15 January 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#46 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:12 PM

nice pube. kimchi is awesome!

#47 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

sweet , :headbang:

im going to have to try this , i do love that spicey funk it keeps the girlfriend out of my face , stink breath ! lol

you say you drink kombucha also , do you make that too ?
just tried makeing some , kinda afraid of it though , lol

#48 pubensis

pubensis

Phallic Mushroom rep.

• Expired Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Yea Jay, I have been making it. I think I'm going to stop soon though. I don't really like drinking concentrated things like juices, and especially don't like things like sugar.

#49 Oblivion

Oblivion

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,473 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:14 AM

I don't really like drinking concentrated things like juices, and especially don't like things like sugar.

That's why you make wine out of your juice and sugar. I always prefer to drink my fruits!

#50 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

first off im not the first to post a kimchee recipe, and probably not the last. here are a couple for reference.

http://mycotopia.net...sauerkraut.html

http://mycotopia.net...nsis-style.html

you will need:

at least one whooler
some beer
big pot
big bowel
quart jars
plastic wrap
rubber bands
water
non iodized salt
5 heads of napa cabbage
2 heads of garlic
two bunches of green onions
9 jalepeno peppers
1 2\3 cup of crushed red peppers
8 oz. chili garlic sauce (totally optional)

first you want to start by cutting the base off and washing your cabbage. just peel of leaves and rinse. stack in layers in a big pot. liberally salt each layer of cabbage. next you will need to cover the cabbage with water to let soak. you will need to use a plate and some sort of weight to keep the cabbage from floating. i have found the longer you soak the cabbage the better the end flavor. most recipes call for a 24 hour soak. i like to soak mine for 48 to 72 hours at room temperature. the reason for saoking the cabbage in a salt brine is to pull the water out of the leaf and make it crunchy. do not worry if it smells like your dog farted, as this is a sign that all is well.

after i have my cabbage soaking i like to start on all my other ingredients. it seems to give the kimchee a bit of a head start, as opposed to waiting for the end of the soak. i start by chopping up my garlic, course or fine does not matter. i leave the seeds in my peppers and cut them into thick slices. chop up green onions. combine all ingredients in a large bowel, mixing well. cover with foil and put in the refer, for the duration of the cabbage soak.

after the soak you will want to rinse the fart water off of your cabbage. reserve some of the fart water you will need it in a bit. next cut the cabbage into 2 inch squares. mix the cabbage into the other ingredients using your hands.

now load up jars, leaving about an inch of head space. pour some fart water into each jar filling up to rim. use a butter knife to get as much of the air out as you can. place plastic wrap over jars and secure with a rubber band.

next i load the jars into a big pot covered with a lid where they will sit at room temp. for at least three more days. i put the jars in a pot because as the veggies ferment water will be purged from the top of the jar. when the kimchee has taken on a flavor you like remove plastic and put lids on jars. store in the refer until you want some.

now you might be asking yourself. why would i want some? and to this i say, cause it is great:
in soups
top ramen
with eggs
on hot dogs
mixed in with hamburgers
or as a side dish all by itself!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• tba 106.JPG
  • tba 093.JPG
  • tba 102.JPG
  • tba 092.JPG
  • tba 072.JPG
  • tba 086.JPG
  • tba 067.JPG
  • tba 064.JPG
  • tba 066.JPG
  • tba 049.JPG
  • tba 057.JPG
  • tba 055.JPG
  • tba 043.JPG

#51 pubensis

pubensis

Phallic Mushroom rep.

• Expired Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

Ok, I have decided that the kimchi is best if re-fridgerated after it reaches the "sourness" that you desire... Thanks:bow:

#52 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. :)

There are many ways to make kimchee, and it's great stuff. Thanks for sharing your method! My method is a lot lazier, heh. I also really like carrots and daikon in it for texture.
  • usagolden likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!