Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

:rasta:

Attached Files

#2 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

cool!
he 'nocs up substrate straight with LC
would that affect the period of colonization?

#3 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

bump...i wanted to bump this as i think it's a great write up. I love details!!!

FOAF may have to try this one.:bow:

#4 kiddo

kiddo

Haus Of GAGA Presents:

• Expired Member
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

How long does colonization usually take?

#5 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:59 PM

It really depends on alot of variables, kiddo. Strain, temp, substrate. . .

#6 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

It also depends on the substrate you are trying to colonize. I've done a little work with just straw and vermiculite. Pc'd in some tupperware quart cups and injected with lc. Took a little over a month to colonize completely. That is really too long, imo, but they did fruit just fine.

#7 snailsnot

snailsnot

i'm a monkey!

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:58 PM

I tried these and colonization is SLOW!!!!! so fuckin slow i will not repeat this method. Why is the diatomaceous earth included in the mix and is this one reason these are so slow that the bags are drying out??

Hey Dialate??---What would you recommend for a substrate that both colonizes quick and supports big, multiple flushes???

grr--frustration....the cost per bag is quite high so failure on these SUX!!

#8 fedshtkpndrk

fedshtkpndrk

Prodigal Son

• Expired Member
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:05 PM

If I am not mistaken this is the same guy who sells these bags on ebay. I had bought one a while back, and I had tried to colonize from rye with PESH. It took a while, but it may have been too small of spawn volume to colonize quickly. I have had awesome success with Cubes by using 5 parts h-poo/ 5 parts coir and 1 part BRF and a lil wheat straw; I sterilize it, wait for it to cool, then spawn with Rye or PF cake. The same amount of spawn in comparison takes off like a bat outta hell. Like many have said, speed of colonization if vital to yield.

#9 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:04 PM

I am confused with the method posted above. Hip or someone that's done bulk subs before should be able to answer this question, as I've never had any success with bulk subs of manure.

In the above PDF manure is mixed into the recipe and then PC'd at 15psi for 3.5hrs. I was always under the impression that raising the temperature above 170F was very very bad, as it would go beyond sterilizing the substrate and kill necessary bacteria. Can someone explain this to me?

#10 Guest_cap_*

Guest_cap_*

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:39 AM

I am confused with the method posted above. Hip or someone that's done bulk subs before should be able to answer this question, as I've never had any success with bulk subs of manure.
In the above PDF manure is mixed into the recipe and then PC'd at 15psi for 3.5hrs. I was always under the impression that raising the temperature above 170F was very very bad, as it would go beyond sterilizing the substrate and kill necessary bacteria. Can someone explain this to me?

sure apok... good question too :)

the only reason one can pressure sterilize a sealed bag of substrate is that there are no airborne contaminates landing on the surface of the sub. and germinating thereby ruining your project. its the same idea as cooking jars. if you are planning on exposing the sub. to open air at any point in time, pasteurization, instead of full-blown sterilization is the path to take.

so for example, when using the traditional technique of spawning to tubs, pasteurization is the only way you'd want to fly. this keeps a healthy colony of beneficial microbes present in the substrate and destroys all the nasties, since they can not tolerate the temps that beneficials can.

these beneficial microorganisms play a crucial role in protecting your projects from airborne contam's. these microorganisms are your substrate's immune system.

#11 apokalypse

apokalypse

Dr. Durgs

• Expired Member
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:22 AM

;) thanks Cap, I knew there was something that I was missing heh

#12 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:35 AM

Horse poo and verm

I tried these and colonization is SLOW!!!!! so fuckin slow i will not repeat this method. Why is the diatomaceous earth included in the mix and is this one reason these are so slow that the bags are drying out??

Hey Dialate??---What would you recommend for a substrate that both colonizes quick and supports big, multiple flushes???

grr--frustration....the cost per bag is quite high so failure on these SUX!!

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:43 AM

sandbags <
donkey doo + coir

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!