:rasta:

Attached Files

#2 JazzCatCF

JazzCatCF

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

Hey hippie,thats the exact same tek im using,although due to cold temps its took a long time to fruit,but they are finally fruiting.I got 4 total.2 that are cased with 50/50(verm/peat moss,and 2 that are cased with mgmc.and both have just suddenly started booming with pins.

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:53 PM

any pix ?

#4 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:52 PM

whoever wrote that tek is being very misleading... cuz that aint coir they are spawning to... :eusa_naug

fahtster

#5 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:58 PM

heres a tub of spawned coir with a 1:1 ratio of wbs...

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1164782094

The coir was hydrated and thats it... no pasteurizing done at all. after i picked the tub and cleaned it, I inspected the substrate and all looked fine, no green anywhere... and actually, when I sterilized OR pasteurized coir, I got more contams than if i just used straight from the hydrated brick. it was Maz and as you can see, did OK but thats about it. I attribute most of the fruits i got with this tub to the 50% being high nute, wbs. I highly doubt that coir is just as nutritious as Poo. but thats just my .02 :)

fahtster

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

1:1 is pretty high ratio to be calling it 'spawn', imo.
what did you think he was using when you said that
wasn't coir, 'fraid i didn't notice ? why lie ? little point..

#7 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

well... if you look at the pics... coir is only in the first two of that .pdf... if you look at the other pics... thats poo and straw they are spawning to. why lie, good question. as far as the 1:1 ratio goes... i've heard (read) you call a verm rez a verm spawn over at shroomery. so i would call a 1:1 a spawn by your own account. I just think from my own experience that coir is not a very good spawn... and if I went even smaller in my ratio, the results would be even worse, so I'm not understanding your point on that. I just think that the info should be properly presented... if they are spawning to coir, then show coir being spawned, thats all. :)

fahtster

#8 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:14 PM

I guess all i'm saying is that coir by itself isn't a very good substrate. it's probably kickass with something like straw or poo but not on its own. I don't think that it can sustain a heavy crop and that .pdf definitely didn't persuade me to think differently, esp. with the poo and straw pics in there. the author states.. "going to spawn to straight COIR and nothing else" then I see poo/straw being spawned to and then kickass results... I'm definitely skeptical. but maybe i'm wrong and thats coir in there and no one is trying to pull wool over my eyes... in which case it doesn't really matter. lol

fahtster

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:11 PM

don't tell roger rabbit that,
he swears coir is as good as horse poo.
or tell him,
i double-dog dare you,
then we can be banned together
:lol:

#10 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:20 PM

lol yeah... I hope i don't get banned over there... I can still hear some voices badmouthin cakes.... /fahtster listens intently then run towards the whining..

faht

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

speaking of things said/seen over there
would you plz repost your comments on pcorn endospores and proper techniques for pcorn ?

#12 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,705 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

sure thing. :thumbup:

fahtster

#13 izzbizz

izzbizz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

Could coir (by itself) be used as a substrate for Oysters? (for a small scale grow)

#14 rygo796

rygo796

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:07 PM

I've seen old newspapers used as oyster substrate.

#15 izzbizz

izzbizz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:39 PM

I know about using newspapers.. but coir (if it works) is preferable cuz it's an organic source. One could, of course, add bleach to the water that the newspapers are soaked in (as shown in another thread).
But I wouldn't feel comfortable eating something that has been grown on a substrate exposed to bleach (though dilute). Maybe just paranoid..

#16 izzbizz

izzbizz

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:46 PM

Also, does anyone know a cheap source for hardwood sawdust?

#17 JazzCatCF

JazzCatCF

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:51 AM

any pix ?

yea,heres some pix although im not sure how itmeasures up to others.This is my 1st successful bulk run,so you be the judge.Also its just as the tek says.1 block of coir soaked in hot water and divided for 2 tubs,and 1 quart of rye in each tub.im guessin maybe 5/1 coir/rye.Also I took those pix 2 days ago,so they are a bit bigger now.Caps havent opened yet.But I gotta say they look way more healthy then the ones I grew outa brf.

Attached Thumbnails

• grow 013.jpg
  • grow 014.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!