• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

Yuppers, watch out for those meal worms.... munch munch munch.

#42 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

I been giving her live fuzzy mice,(alive)
well that has been a battle to find em live. So Merm thought that giving her a frozen one may work. Despite what we have read about them not eating frozen ones. Tonight we bought two to see. I thawed them and with some learning on my part(there is a technique...lol) we were successful. She ate two of them,,,,,gulp gulp.
So now I'm thinking that I can take the vitamins and the calcium, mix em up with a bit of water and with a dropper inject the goodies in the belly of the mice then feed em to her. What ya think?

#43 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

ps, we are buying hiimtony's toad Friday...:)
so Lp will have a buddy,,,awe how nice.
I plan to build them a condo this summer...:D

#44 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

:cool: Thats good to hear CM

#45 syvel

syvel

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:37 PM

how in the world do you actually, erm, "harvest" the compound from the frogs?

#46 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 07:04 AM

how in the world do you actually, erm, "harvest" the compound from the frogs?

Its pretty easy. I've done it on accident a few times and almost gotten shot in the eye. kinda scares you a bit. I personally don't get great yeilds out of my toad, but its more of a pet. I only milk him for the rare dose. I don't really stock pile the material at all.

Its kinda like popping the biggest zit in the world, but not much really comes out. The hardest part is finding a good position to hold the toad while you can still manage to squeeze the glands on its legs and behind its eyes. It's easiest done with 3 people. one supporting the toad, one milking, and one more is nice to have your plate maneuverable. I use a large plate and keep it close. The venom can have some pressure behind it. I've had streaks shoot more than 6 feet. If the toads skin was looser and you could pull the gland out a bit before squeezing it would make it a lot easier, but he looks uncomfortable as it is so i just keep it light.

It dries in hours. You can easily scrape it up with a razor blade and it turns into an almost crystally substance.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!