• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Jaffer

Jaffer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:49 PM

Hey, this discussion caught my attention as I was browsing for information about decarboxylation.

I wondered though, Invitro, are you talking about bud that is freshly cut from a growing plant? If not, then you don't have to worry about decarboxylation, as it has already finished during the drying process, and is moer than likely now out of your control, depending on the source of your marijuana.

Any bud being prepared for ingestion should already be completely bone-dry however, and once a bud has been bone dry, it will never continue decarboxylation. By the way, this is why slowly dried marijuana (cured) is better, and why quickly dried pot, say in an oven or in front of a fan, is poor quality.

Ed Rosenthal's statement is a little bit misleading. He describes decarboxylation occuring during the burning of a joint or pipe-bowl, which would only really be accurate if smoking fairly recently harvested buds, which hadn't completely dried yet.

On that note, most marijuana being sold by "commercial type" growers is not really "cured" at all, often the plants are dried completely to bone-dry over the course of a few days to a week, then processed (manicured), and then they add moisture manually (spray bottle) to the bone dry pot as they package it. Once bagged, the water is absorbed uniformly into the buds over the course of 24 hours or so. A common practice is to add 54 grams of water to each 400 grams of bone dry pot, to achieve 454g (pound) packages with a moisture content of just over 10%.

Anyhow, like I said if you are talking about pot you have purchased, then there is no need to do anything except dry the pot completely to bone dry before doing whatever extraction process you had in mind.
  • jkdeth likes this

#22 Heirloom

Heirloom

practitioner

• OG VIP
  • 3,940 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:45 AM

Decarboxylation using a pressure cooker.

[Direct Link]

• jkdeth likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!