Photo
- - - - -

BULK [merged]

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:38 PM

You must be serious then if your aspiring to have yer own cow...hee.. that would b sweet...land of milk and mush...

#22 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

bail of straw $3.28 at local walmart :D $4 at HD
straw nugs ---> http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=2335
clones all the way man.. who needs a massive pin set when your working with some fatty clones...
weight was 449g fresh off the first flush of 2 straw nugs... which are dunked and recovering for another flush.. got about the same from the first flush off these nugs as i did off of the first TWO flushes of 2 poo/straw pans of the same clone... the nugs take up way less room too.. i could probibly fit 5 nugs in the same room as 3 substrate pans... not to mention less mess and less hassle...
but ultimatly the choice is yours :)
LOST

#23 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 692 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:54 PM

LMAO @ land of Milk and Mush
Yeah Lost, you pretty much had me convinced about the value of the nug after talking them up in chat the other day right after you weighed the first one. My final question (I think) is: I don't have a clone but I have three pints full colo..and counting of rice with a Chinese Yunan strain from spores that I collected from a 2.5 inch cap. All 10 ccs of this solution went to the original 3 jars. THis syringe was fuckin black. Becasue of the amount used I got really rapid growth cuz I rotated the jar when knocking so I had max contact of spores to rice surface area. Fully colonized at like...2 weeks +/- a couple days. These jars look really rhizo and healthy but since its multispore, should I not venture with a large expenditure of time before I know the substrain is going to be as good a fruiter as the one I took the spores from?
Fruit a jar of grain first to test maybe?

#24 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 08:20 PM

Straw and worm castings is a happening combo. Worms Way is a retailer in six states. I believe their home base is Indiana. In fact, I happen to have one of their catalogs handy; here's that addy: 7850 North SR 37 Bloomington, IN 47404 ph#800-598-8158.

#25 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:50 PM

well if all 3 jars are multi-spore then it's gonna be a roll of the dice with all of them.. IMO i would fruit all of them at the same time so that i could pick the best fruit to clone out of all three jars... no scence in fruiting only one jar and getting a clone to find out there was an even better substrain hiding in one of the other 2 jars... or you might just let the fruit invitro.. it seems that pretty much an substrain that fruits really well invitro seem to blow up when put on bulk substrait... actually the clone i'm using is from a invitro fruit, and you can see what it has done :) actually thinking about it that might be you best option.. but this is all just IMO
best of luck to ya vrooota
LOST

#26 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

hmmmm.....wonder what I'm gonna do..... Thanx LOST and everybody :)

#27 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:45 AM

If you are going to add poo to your straw be careful about your water content after pasteurization. Mycelium doesn't like it to be wet and won't colonize.

Straw on its own will drain ok but if you have poo added you need to make sure that it is at field capacity: give it a squeeze and just a drop of water should come out, no more.

#28 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

i just ordered 8: 12" x 8" x 2 3/4" trays for my 4 tier mini greenhouse , i figured this is about right since the room i have is about 27" by 18" anyways, now it comes down to it, this will be the first time ive done it like this. now what im working in is just an appartment kitchen, and im really wondering about how sterile i can keep things and if this is really going to work, or am i going to be fighting an uphill struggle. i will have many quarts or colonized rye , im going to be using straw, and horse poo as my bulk substrate. At first i thought i would just treat my straw/poo mixture with pickling lime then put it in oven bags and pc it untill it was pasturized, but its hard to tell how hot my pc is getting so i cant monitor temps inside by putting it on a burner. so now im wondering what is the best way to get and keep all my stuff clean? does anyone go through a similar process that im hoping to? if so what are your conditions like as far as working environment. Also what is your process of procedures you go through to do this? I will pay money if needed for someones assistance on helping me set up a foolproof way to get these trays going without having to worry about contams. also what is the depth my substrate should be around? i was thinking of just loading the trays, so about 2" of substrate? also one more Q, how many quarts of fully colonized substrate do you think its going to take to nocc these trays? thanks again guys for all the help

#29 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:49 AM

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no foolproof way to rid everything of contams. All you can do is be as sanitary as possible. This increases your odds but doesnt guarantee you wont get em.

That said....Start by cleaning your work area. The kitchen will work ok, but it is not the optimum spot. Wash the counters and spray some lysol. This should be all thats necessary. Just make it look spic and span before you start.

An easy way to pasteurize enough substrate for 8 pans of that size would be to use a pillowcase in a pot of water. You will need a big pot. Put the substrate in the pillowcase. Mix your lime into some water in a separte bowl. Dump this water into the pillowcase. Ill also make the point to use a standoff plate in the bottom of your pasteurization pot. Tie off the pillowcase and top off the pot with water. Turn the heat on high until it gets to 160-170 deg F. Turn down the heat and try to maintain this temp for an hour. Dump out the water an set the pillowcase in a clean bathtub to drain. One it is at room temp then its fine to use.

Substrate depth is your choice. 1-2 inches should be fine.

A quart or less per pan should suffice.

#30 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:05 AM

get a air purifier for the kitchen ,dont let anyone in the kitchen.use liscol for the air.you know the air stuff and what ever do dont forget highflyers advice......peace....becareful when you open the greenhouse up...

#31 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:20 AM

set up a foolproof way

there is only one foolproof way,
invitro.
otherwise you'll just have to stay on top of matters
like air exchanges
or the contams WILL come.

#32 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:14 AM

oh ive got a fazzy carpet dryer im gonna use for air exchange, im gonna buy a hepa filter, styap the thing with lysol then tape the hepa filter over the intake, im gonna have hella air exchange, if the thing ran for a min every 2hrs id be golden. this sucka moves a lot of air, im still gonna have an ultrasonic hooked up to my greenhouse.

#33 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 10 April 2005 - 10:23 AM

Kitchens are the dirtiest place in your house to work. Find somewhere else. Even the bathroom is cleaner than a kitchen. Kitchens usually have fruits and other foods with a ton of mold spores and bacteria. The kitchen sink drain is a contaminant factory. Bathrooms are also smaller and easier to clean.
RR

#34 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 12:33 PM

thanks RR, i will use the bathroom then, should the fan be run in the bathroom? the one that sucks air out of the room. thanks!

#35 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 07:42 PM

When draining your straw, if you are using the pillowcase water method, make sure you check for the right water content. If you just let it sit in the bathtub to drain it will probably be too wet.

Squeeze it out until it is at field capacity: it barely drips water when given a good squeeze.

#36 tobynutz

tobynutz

VIP Member

• Free Member
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 11:03 AM

a while back i did some small bulk subs and they worked out great. i had 6 pints of spawn i needed to get rid of so i packed this one FULL of spawn. as you can see, it is a reebok shoe box lined with trashbags. i pasteurized coir/verm and i put a layer on the bottom and then poured in the spawn(6 pts of mex-pal rye and pcorn). after that i put in the rest of the coir/verm and filled it almost to the top, mixed it thoroughly and then cased with peat/verm/lime. this box weighs a shatload.

the 2 flower pots used to be one casing that wasnt ever pinning so i choppped it in half, crumbled it up, mixed in with coir and then cased with peat/verm/lime. i hope these do better than the straight verm casings.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 002.jpg
  • Picture 001.jpg
  • Picture 004.jpg
  • Picture 003.jpg

#37 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:22 PM

Looks like the project is well underway. Keep us updated, please!

#38 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

i think shallow trays do better than deep

#39 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

Shoebox. Cool.
RR