• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dude_lebowski

dude_lebowski

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:38 PM

I just cased 2 jars about 4-5 days ago in one of those gladware disposable tupperwares. I put the lid on it after casing it. The top is completely airtight and the sides of the container have fogged up (I keep it wrapped up in a towel and inside a box in my closet). I was worried about all of the moisture being trapped in there, so I opened the top today. When I first opened it up, it smelled a little bit sour, but not like a contaminated jar usually smells, and the smell quickly went away. Do any of you use airtight lids on casings? I'm just curious because this is only the second casing I've ever done, and the first never even had mycelium break through the top layer (the current one has mycelium breaking through in some spots in big patches).

#2 Guest_perpetually_*

Guest_perpetually_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:54 PM

normally you want some air exchange when it comes to casings that are re-conlonizing.. i'd say poke some holes in that lid and you should be fine... the reason you want the air exchange is b/c bacteria grows much better with out it.. as do contams like cobweb....
LOST

#3 Guest_rodger_*

Guest_rodger_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 02:49 PM

One or two nail sized holes will be enough.

#4 almondmilk

almondmilk

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:11 PM

I was having the same problem when I first tried
casing. A sour smell and no recolonization. I was
using plastic wrap with rubber bands or the lid of
the container. Now I use foil and only crimp it to
container loosely. Haven't had it happen since.
Good luck.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!