46 replies to this topic

#1 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 03:55 AM

As promissed:

FOAF proceeded to try the wild hare shit and make a spawn from it. The shit was collected in a nature reserve out in the wild, both old and new little blobs of crap. Its obvious even from just looking at it that the shit is extremly fiberous, hares diet consists mainly of grass, some nuts and things that they can find but mainly grass. This is visible in the first picture. In any case about a cup full of shits were pressed through a sive, and soaked for about 20 hours. Second picture is after straining and pressing. The structure of the shit after soaking was extremly nice, fluffy equal sized particles, no odor.
The following mix was used 1 part hare shit, 1 part vermiculate, 1/3 part BRF and about half a handfull of pulvirised straw. The Verm and BRF were mixed well and brought to field capacity, then the shit was added and last but not least the straw. Ingredience were mixed well, and loaded into jars, last pic. PC-d for 90 minutes at 15 psi, cooled in PC then moved to GB. One was nocced with GT mycelia , the other with Equador multispore. I will keep you guys updated on progress, and FOAF is planing on doing a bulk spawn with hare shit and straw :) Any input anyone has on hare shit is much apretiated.

Attached Thumbnails

• qfuh 175.jpg
  • qfuh 174.jpg
  • qfuh 173.jpg
  • qfuh 172.jpg

#2 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

cool shit !!!

Waiting paitently.
:headbang:

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

gathering from wild must be quite a chore,
wonder how the caged rabbits' doo is ?
just piles up under cages, easier to get

#4 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

Surprisingly domestic rabbit shit is a whole different story, they get fed supliments, and lots of fresh greens. This turns the shit thick and dark, almost claylike, nothing like this wild stuff which is almost like coir. The gathering wasnt such a great task either, this place for some reason is abundent in rabbits, and rabbits being rodents have high metabolic rates, hence lots of doo. There were specific spots on the hill where the shit was literally in heaps. In anycase it seems to be good stuff, iam not sure how much nutes there will be in it since when i soaked the stuff the water barely tinted. Ill keep you guys updated :)
Peace

#5 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:36 AM

I bet the greens and supplements have little to do with it. Wild greens and grasses are nutritionally dense. Thats why people spend 50 bucks a month for supplements made from "grass juices". Wild bunnies prolly get far more nutrition than their captive counterparts.

My money is on the one sided diet (mostly pelletized hay) and lack of exercise. They eats tons of nutrients they are already stocked full of and don't burn as much off. Since their bodies don't need it, what isn't converted to fat goes out the pooper. Dense with waste.

I bet it would work like a champ tho, if composted or well aged.

#6 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:20 AM

True aging or composting would prolly do wonders to some thicker doo. The ones used in this experiment are sun tanned little ball´s :) Should soon be able to see new growth in the jar nocced with GT mycelia , ill post a pic when there is anything to see.

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:24 AM

I have many deer coming through the yard and leaving behind piles of brown treasure. Now the wheels are spinning in my head.

thanks

#8 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

No worries man. Deer is an interesting option, but yet again something which would prolly need some composting before use. But iam sure it has a high nutritional value. What i really like to try is elefant dung from the zoo :) Just spawn one of those head sized doo"s.

#9 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 04:35 AM

Alright i didnt have time to take pics yet, but GT has started spreading at super speed, fan like rizo growth, i thoughti would wait untill the equador germs on the hare shit too and then post pics, anyhow its working :) Ill have pics soon.

Peace

#10 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:07 AM

Like i promised :) pics:

First three are of GT mycelia spawned to the hare shit. Last pic is of p. cub. equador and it is day 8 now i think. It works but i cant say that hare shit is the BOMB and has explosive growth, however it does seem to work nicely, this GT will be spawned to a straw/coir hare shite log and birthed. Ill keep updating as we go along.

Attached Thumbnails

• nzul 003.jpg
  • nzul 004.jpg
  • nzul 002.jpg
  • nzul 001.jpg

#11 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:50 AM

Looking good man.

#12 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:57 PM

you could breed rabbits and feed them good grasses, then compost the shit and add it to the shroom garden.

how bout elk poo?

#13 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:40 AM

Iam sure that most herbivore dung can be succesfully used for culturing mushrooms, however in my experience elk shit is a bit more thick, an elks digestive system is a lot slower than a hares so the elk doo comes out thick and less fiberous than rabbit, hare, horse, etc. However mixing elk doo into a compost heap now in the spring, and letting it mature over the summer would sure do good to it.

The GT jar will be colonised 100% for the weekend, so FOAF will be bulking that up with some straw and hare doo. :headbang:

#14 fof

fof

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

Does any one know why donkey dung is so good? They are like a little horse sort-of and I think they eat the same stuff. I am trying an experiment with horse poo that the base product was alfalfa and see if that makes a difference. The guy I get the poo from says that the horse's guts pull all the nutrients out and there manure is only good for mulching and that cow poo has more nutrients in it. I know cows have 3 butts or something and thats why there poo is better fertilizer.

fof

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,968 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

Hippie3 would know better than I , but have worked a bunch with donkeys and their stool seems different to the eye than that of horses, but that could mainly be due to their size. I find in either case that the manure comes out solidly formed and gets airy and flakey ,plus more broken up the longer it sits there in the elements.

That brings up the question , is there any difference between goat poo and deer poo, different but related species....

Thanks to this thread I thought of spawning pasterurized ,composted deer droppings with straw. I have a small shed that used to house goats and there was lots of composted goat manure. In the meantime deer have been coming into this shed (no door) for a couple years since the goats had left. This way I was able to dig down and get some well composted goat poo and found piles of old deer poo all over the place. The deer had been coming in the shed to eat what was left of the hay and maybe some grain remnants.

So here is a homemade spawn bag with some goat pasturized goat poo / straw, spawned with colozined popcorn grain. The strain in both cases is B+

http://mycotopia.net...14&d=1173922853

and here's the composted deer skat / straw :

http://mycotopia.net...12&d=1173922853

Kocos, what ratio of Hare poo / BRF did you use? or is that even BRF in the pic with the Hare poo jars?

#16 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

No reall rasio i beleive i basically eyed it. But i would say about 2 cups shit, 2 cups verm and about one third of a cup coarsly ground Brown rice. Brought to field capacity. The jar is now completly colonised, went really fast to finish up, so ill be making a bulk this weekend. Ill be back with a pictorial update on monday.

Peace :)

#17 dinosaur

dinosaur

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

nice myc spread

#18 kocos

kocos

The PsYhead

• Expired Member
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:14 AM

So an update, the jar of equador suffered from wetspot so it was tossed, the GT jar went completly crazy and pinned invitro aprox 2 weeks after noccing!! Some pics of that and of the hyphal knots, the larger pins were removed and the rest was spawned to a bulk of straw and hare shit. We shall see how that turns out. Keep updating.

Attached Thumbnails

• väros 069.jpg
  • väros 066.jpg
  • väros 068.jpg
  • väros 064.jpg
  • väros 063.jpg

#19 psyl

psyl

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

Awesome dude! :eusa_clap

#20 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

Mushroom mycellium will colonize practically anything from paper to poop to grains and sawdust. The manure of ungulates, that is anything with a hoof such as cows, horses, donkeys, etc. are preferred especially when you consider that these larger animals can drop several pounds at once. It would take a lot of rabbits to make that much!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!