#21 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:17 AM

Nice cluster of pins:D

Have you thought of doing a clone to further
your quest? Hopefully you get a few Fatties!!!

When swim gets around to agar and isolation, he hopes he will get a cluster like that. He will take his clone from the base of the biggest boomer sitting in the largest cluster. ;)

#22 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:24 AM

i agree :) very nice clusters!

#23 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,189 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks folks!

Actually, CM, these tubs are already spawned from a clone of a nice cluster. It seems that the clustering trait is still present, from a few of those groups...

I wonder if the pinsets would be better if I'd waited until the casing was colonized to introduce fruiting conditions. As it was, I started FAE and light at the time of casing.

Also, I've been lightly misting every day, even through primordia formation and pinning. Mistake?

#24 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:39 AM

why are you still misting? is it drying up? maybe you have too many holes in your monotub :)
my monotub before kept on drying up (lost the water droplets on the side and semi dry casing) so i just taped up some holes to keep the RH from going down..

#25 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,189 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

Nah, humidity's OK, plenty of condensation. I was thinking that the substrate drew water from the casing, but now I read that's not the case (so to speak). Either way, the casings don't look OVERwatered, and I've only been giving them very light mistings. I should probably do some research...

#26 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

no need to mist anymore :)

#27 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,189 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

oops, double post... ish

OK, looking through my copy of The Mushroom Cultivator, I see that Stamets sez that some cultivators "mist daily as a standard practice" through primordia formation. He also sez "any forceful watering will kill a number of developing pins." So light watering is the key, and I'm not hurting anything by misting while my casings are pinning.

BUT there's no point in misting if I don't need to. So I'll pay more attention to how they look and only mist when they need it. :) Thanx Vinz.

#28 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

So you don't take clones of clones?
If you "just" take a spore print, I believe
that you will lose what you have worked to
accomplish. With taking more clones and/or
Isolating further you are furthering your progress. That would be the idea, right?

#29 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,189 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Wait wait wait wait....

So I can clone a specimen from the fruitbodies from a cloned specimen and further refine the genetics? I thought taking a clone gave me a single set of chromasomes which could not be isolated further. This is news to me.

I thought cloning a clone would let you re-use the same genetics you had already isolated. Further, I had gathered that once you clone a clone of a clone, you might start to see senescence (sp?).

Please set me straight!!! :bow:

#30 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

Yes you will begin to see senescence through "over" cloning. If you want to retain a good clone for a long period of time then make a large lc and refrigerate or store colonized agar in the refrigerator.

I do not clone a clone. When that one is done I go back to spores and isolate again.

#31 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

I thought if you printed a cloned mushroom and use the spores you just threw away your iso. I was under the impression that the millions of spores from that shroom was putting you back with multiple substrains.?
Are you saying that one clone and your down to just one substrain?
If this is so why do so many work for months and months trying to get a TRUE iso?
I have even heard of some to say it is near impossible.

#32 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:47 AM

maybe I'm thinking of the agar work with the live mycel. :eusa_thin If you isolated to the best of your ability then grew it out and took a clone, then yeah, Id agree with 8.
Sorry I lost myself and thought that you just did a clone with out the iso in the beginning.
:eusa_doh:

So this brings me to a question.
If you take tissue from a cluster on a cake that originated from a multi spore syringe and was not isolated on agar before fruited, How is that an ISO?
My thinking was that in that cluster could/would be multiple sub strains and the tissue that was taken would be in fact not a true iso?

#33 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

holy shit dude that is awesome. cant wait to see how much u get from this

#34 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,189 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:41 PM

Coyote: This project came from the clone of a previous, multispore project. I called it an isolate because I thought cloning from a single fruitbody in a cluster would give me one strain. Is this not true? The difference in pinsets in my tubs would support that. However, I am no "old-hand" when it comes to fruiting casings. I introduced fruiting conditions right when I cased, and so my pinsets could all be luck o' the draw...

As for working months and months, that is stuff which is beyond me for now. I just wanted an isolated strain (that is, seperate from other competing and inferior strains).

Maybe tho, using the word "isolate" to describe cloned genetics is a faux pas. It did create some confusion. :)

I hope this clears everything up...

#35 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

I'm still learning too, thats why I ask
Dial8. Your right, I was wrong.
Good info though cause I learned something.;)

#36 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,189 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:01 AM

TRICH!!! :drk:

Found a little bit in one corner of one tub. I salted the area heavily and misted with dilute H2O2. Luckily, it's one of the tubs with a poor pinset. I'll still be able to finish this flush. We'll see what happens after that.
More pics tonite...

Coyote: I hope I didn't come off as having an attitude with you. I've seen you around plenty, and I've got nothing but respect and bouncies for you: :greenboun :greenboun :greenboun

#37 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

oh man that sucks!
get that tub away from the rest asap!
trich spores are still probably floating around..

#38 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

i was wondering if theres trich,
is there any possibility of clean prints still being takin
or is it a total lose

man, trich is the pits :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

#39 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, did you move that tub far
away, in a place by itself?

(you never have come off to me as having an attitude.
Its all good discussion :bow: )

#40 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

Digging for Rainbows

• App Administrator
  • 9,189 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, it's been seperated from the rest. All tubs were sprayed with dilute h2o2. I'll post new pics in a few hours!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!