• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

i still have this giant block of coir. it is a little frozen and actually weighs about 80 lbs.
coir.jpg
it seems to deliberately contain trichodermia for gardening purposes.
all grows with this material turned up with trich even though it may have been pc'd for over an hour at 15 psi.

is there any way to destroy the trich?

if sunlight destroys trich can this block be spread out in a thin layer and left to bake in the sun for a few weeks?

other options may include:
using this type of coco-coir in an outdoor patch
or maybe just using it for what it was meant to be used for - green plants and gardening.

#2 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

It still goes green after PCing?

You could try chemically treating it. A strong H2O2 or Bleach solution will do the trick. Allow it to cure out and use. You will have to sterilize it though, prolly, afterward, since it will be effectively sterile and past. won't do much. I think, because you'll kill the good guys too.

If you use H2O2, remember there will be A LOT of foam. And bleach will need a lot of airing out.

#3 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

Sounds like a plan. Thanks Bobcat

It still goes green after PCing?

it did -but i only tried it once. so i should try it again just to be sure

#4 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:52 PM

add water and let sit overnight to allow all the endospores to germinate. then pc the next day. try it that way

#5 akoutdoors

akoutdoors

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:53 PM

I have been using The general Hydroponics coir bricks for a wile and no trich problems, but I used an off brand that I got @ fredmyer/kroger
that was huge and a good deal. I used it to mix with my castings and spawned it with Pcorn jars and I got trich for the first time since using P-corn in all 3 tubs.
I used it mixed with pcorn in the jars to keep moisture even and they also got trich.
So IMO Dont use cheap Coir, I and 2 others have had zero problems with trich using the GH coir so try that.

#6 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:07 PM

:teeth:

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1178243616

Attached Thumbnails

• eco earth 3 pack.jpg

#7 unsane

unsane

Big Happy

• Free Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 05:49 AM

Thats the brand I use to Mycrobi I see ya got down on the 3 brick deal:eusa_clap

#8 underdwg

underdwg

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:51 PM

my FOAF has a current grow going and he used hydroponic coir as well. This coir also contains trichoderma. He has had a high success rate with just PCing it for an hour. We have done quite a bit of research on using this type of coir for bulk substrate and also found from other peoples experiences that PCing the coir cause "the good guys" (as stated above to be killed as well, allowing for the coir to contam easier. Out of four HUGE dubtubs my friend has spawned to only one has been contaminated and it was on the very top of the coir. I have a feeling the reason his contaminated is because of excessive moisture on the top of his substrate after, in my opinion, full colonization of the substrate had occurred and he didn't case soon enough. If you insist on using this type of coir.. I suggest doing it in a dub tub environment as this will GREATLY reduce any chance of contaminants getting in. Please take not that after PCing my friend also pasteurized the substrate after mixing poo with it. Here is my post on his current grow using this method. http://mycotopia.net...ead.php?t=21614

#9 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

Thats the brand I use to Mycrobi I see ya got down on the 3 brick deal:eusa_clap

yeah. was shopping, saw it on sale and couldn't pass it by for the price :lol:
won't let it go to waste - i promise ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!