#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 05:43 PM

My first experiences recently were a very paitent ordeal. It has taken weeks to go from somewhat older syringes to seeing good colonization. I have been reading up on the topia about grain2grain transfers and thought i'd give it a try.

I took one jar of fully colonized rye and another of popcorn, cleaned them up and put them in the glovebox. I sprayed bleach water and wiped the entire box with alcohol soaked paper-towel.

Next I put the freshly PC'd and cooled jars of wheat, rye and popcorn. I used a sterile spoon and slid each lid off and added a heaping teaspoon of colonized grain. After I finished all the jars I rolled them around and shook them to redistribute the colonized pieces.

After 24 hours the mycelium had already taken over 3 grains in each direction, and after 48 , wow is it filling in fast. I did the transfers into pint jars about 5/8 to 2/3 full of grain and some 1/2 pint jars.

I have no problem being patient, but I must admit to the excitement of the running mycelium full steam ahead. I'll include pictures later.

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:42 PM

Here's some pics of the G2G I did 48 hours ago. I did popcorn as you can see and rye. I threw in a picture of the John Allen strain in a 14 day old LC and my mondo-ghetto glovebox. Oh yah and a Amazon PF jar that just became fully colonized.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6186733.jpg
  • closecorn2.jpg
  • 6186730.jpg
  • 6186722.jpg
  • 6186717.jpg
  • 6186713.jpg

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:39 PM

A couple more photos. This time showing pint jars of EQ on popcorn 48 hours after G2G transfer, and another shot of the Glovebox.

:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• 6187038.jpg
  • ghettobox2.jpg
  • 6187041.jpg
  • 6187047.jpg
  • 6186707.jpg

#4 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

Real nice! Congratulations:eusa_clap

#5 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

Looks good hyphaenation.

G2G is a fast and simple way to expand your spawn. :thumbup:

#6 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:43 PM

popcorn doesn't like me to well with multi
spores, maybe I'll try spreading some rye across a jar or two.
btw, nice job

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:51 PM

I thought i'd make a post updating some projects that I have been working on. I have a few pictures but my digi cam sucks batteries and they are low again. So I combined some things in a picture. The first picture is of a small outbuilding that was used about 2 years ago to house goats. It was left in the state you see it with straw and a bunch of goat manure.

I took that straw (with all info I gleamed from here at the topia of course) and soaked it in a bucket with a cup of bleach for several hours. The manure I baked in the oven at 165 degrees or so for 1 3/4 hours. I added the straw and manure with some vermiculite into a pillowcase and then pasteurized at 165 ish for 1 hour plus. I used a candy thermometer to stay the course.After the pasteurization I hung, squeezed, drained the pillow case and allowed it to cool. This time I was careful to never keep anything in direct kitchen air. I always placeed a clear garbage bag over all jars, trays, pillowcases, buckets etc. I have had a problem with trich so i'm trying to eliminate contam vectors. Also I cleaned the work area and tubs well with bleach and alcohol and wore gloves...

The bags you see I made myself out of foodsaver vacuum seal bags. I just went with what I had on hand. I made some large and some small. The large one has 50/50 pasturized straw with goat poo and some some verm and the small one has 50/50 composted pasteurized deer poo from the yard mixed with straw and verm.

I crumbled a PF cake of B+ into the large home-made myco bag and used popcorn spawn for the smaller one. I can actually see a good bit of growth after 24 hours at 82 degrees inncubation. It makes me really happy to see the mycelium expanding and feasting down. I expect contams because i'm a newbie, but I really am happy how far i've gotten so far. I hope to fruit the bags invitro, possibly adding casing if it seems right... and if they make it that far.

The tubs were loaded with about 3ish inches of the pasturized goat poo / straw / verm mix when it was field capacity wetness and cooled. I added holes on the top with pollyfil filters for airflow. They are innoculating in a large plastic bin at 82 degrees F. One tub you see has 2 PF cakes of TAZ crumbled and mixed into the goat poo / straw / verm and the other has a single PF cake of Amazon crumbled and mixed into it.

One of the jars you see is a pint of popcorn spawn master that I stated about 4 days ago. The strain is Amazon. It seems to be doing fine and running through the popcorn decently. I like popcorn for grain to grain transfers , especially if you use a generous amount of colonized grains to innoculate. Waiting the week or so for syringe innoculations seems to be skirting trouble with contams. But like I said i'm still very new so what do I know, except what i've read here... The other jar in the third pic on the tub is a pint jar grain spawn master of wheat berries. I like the way the mycelium runs through the wheat kernals similar to rye. The strain you see in the wheat jar is South American. All the strains are from sponsers here at the topia, but you knew that...

The last shot is of another tub, this one qa bit deeper of pasturized goat poo 50/50 with straw plus a bit of verm. This tub I used 2 Taz PF cakes to innoculate. There was a lot of crumbled mycelium in there ! Probably 20 % cake 40% goat poo , 40% straw.

Thanks everyone for your informative posts. This site is amazing.:headbang:

cheers

P.S: any comments, critiques, tips graciously accepted

Attached Thumbnails

• tub1.jpg
  • goatpoo.jpg
  • allinone.jpg

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

Here's a kind of lame pic of a gallon jar of pasteurized goat skat / straw / verm. It was spawned with a fully colonized mixed grain cake. I know it looks real ghetto with the polyfill lide and tuck tape , but hey... might just fruit..
Whats the proceedure if the Lord willing these bags/tubs colonize? Do they need casing? My plan was to case most of them with say cactus soil and leave some uncased. Later on can I open the colonized bags in the GB and sprinkle on the casing?

Any help greatly appreciated

Hyphae

Attached Thumbnails

• bigin2.jpg

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

I finally got batteries for my camera so I dont have to turn it on just to get one quick picture. This series of pictures is the progress i've been making in the last few days. The first shot is of organic winter wheat berries, not shaken. The second is wheat that had been shaken 48 hours previously. The third shot is of the first signs of life from a EQ syringe innoculation of popcorn. The next one is a pint of popcorn grain master. Then comes some more homemade spawn bags made from foodsaver bags. They were filled with pasturized poo / straw mix and a bit of verm. The large one as I mentioned above was spawned with a fully colonized B+ PF cake. 2 of the bags you see are mixed 50 / 50 composted deer droppings / straw / verm ,and the rest are goat poo / straw / verm The last photos are just some extra for eye candy.

cheers

more later

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

here's the pics:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• closebagpf.jpg
  • deerpoo2.jpg
  • deerpoo1.jpg
  • PFcakebag.jpg
  • closePFbag.jpg
  • popcornpint.jpg
  • firstEQ.jpg
  • sawheat1.jpg
  • wheatjar2.jpg

#11 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:26 PM

my only problem w g2g is that once you spawn it to another grain jar and the myc recovers, i get moisture that causes wet spot :(

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

I notice moisture on the sides of the jar when those jars are near the "cold edge" of the inncubator. I try and rotate my inncubation tubs around to compensate. I guess moving the setup away from an outside wall would be advantagous but I sometimes cant do that.

Luckily when my pint jars of G2G started to condensate, the mycelium had already run 30% so I rolled them around and shook the jars which absorbed the water droplets on the jar.

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

So far so good. The wheat jars that were shaken have recovered nicely. The big jar you see is goat poo / straw, but I can see pieces of mycelium coming from the verm on the inside of the glass. I'm not sure if this is contam or good mycelium from the PF cake I crumbled in a bag and dumped inside the jar. I'm hoping for the latter. :pirate:

The bags are doing good for now. They were spawned with colozined popcorn.

Attached Thumbnails

• deerpoog2g.jpg
  • smallbag.jpg
  • cornerbag.jpg
  • goatpoojar.jpg
  • ryerecover.jpg

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:03 PM

goat poo eh ?
are you composting that
or aging or leaching or ?
to prepare it for use ?

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:16 PM

goat poo eh ?
are you composting that
or aging or leaching or ?
to prepare it for use ?

I have an outbuilding on my land that used to be a pen for goats. It has been sitting there composting for 2 possibly 3 years. It appears to be lots of goat manure, composted urinated straw and straw itself , which probaly has a bit of hay mixed in. I was happy to go clean out this building and then realize it was 6 inches deep in compost...

http://mycotopia.net...40&d=1173847526

#16 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:28 PM

I had a question for you Hippie3 , if you up for it. I made these spawn bags and stuffed them with pasturized goat poo and straw 50 / 50 and added some verm with a crumbled 1/2 pint PF cake of B+. 3 days later its very white with colonization.... would you use a casing on a mix like that? With 50 % straw do you need casing?
http://mycotopia.net...10&d=1173922853

pics below are tub filled with 50 / 50 goat poo /straw mixed with 2 cakes of TAZ PF. On top of that is pint sized popcorn grain master and jars of wheat. Last 2 shots show organic wheat that has been colonized with Amazon from a rye G2G transfer inside the GB. The last pic is of the same jar 48 hours after shaking it to redistribute the kernals. Its really bouncing back.

Attached Thumbnails

• wheatunshaken.jpg
  • wheatrecover.jpg
  • taztub2cake.jpg
  • all3.jpg

#17 hypercomm

hypercomm

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

Beautiful...........what more could a fella want besides a hot blond??? Great pics:bow:

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

The pint masters are filling in nicely. I have shaken them all and they are recovered and moving quickly. The strains i'm doing right now are EQ , AM , Taz and SA.

I love the way that the mycelium of all the strains looks like compared with the brown of the wheat berries. Bright white on clay brown is quite stunning. It makes me feel good to know that the mycelium is happy.

#19 Psycrops

Psycrops

Mycophiliac

• Validating
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

Nice work Hyphaenator...give my regards to the goats!!:rasta:

#20 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:18 AM

Enjoy your stay at the "Hotel mycotopia" Psycrops...

:pirate:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!