Fisana

- - - - -

Marijuana and brain damage.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ntrabbit_*

Guest_ntrabbit_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:24 AM

I wanted to start this post because I was curious as to the long term affects of smoking pot, and whether or not there really were any. For the last six months, I would say that I have smoked pot every day or two. So lets just say 5 times a week. Now, I know that it has an impact on my motivation and short term memory, because I'm an idiot half the time and I forget stuff a lot, haha.

But I'm wondering how long that would last if I just stopped smoking right now. And I'm trying to be realistic. Of course I know that my sharpness will come back, and my short term memory, but is do you really kill a lot of brain cells when you smoke? I am much more open to life now, which I really like. Would that go away as well? I am just curious about what people think the long term affects are.

-Nick

#2 sandman

sandman

Mansplainer

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,668 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:52 AM

Ive noticed that I "have to" stop smoking about once every 6 months to a year for 2 weeks at a time to "clear my head" In my view, it is 100% short term effects of cloudiness. I smoke alot too, like 10-15 times a day.

#3 Guest_JT_*

Guest_JT_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:21 PM

fuck! i forgot what i was gonna say...

#4 skullfarmer

skullfarmer

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:55 PM

i recently stopped smokin for a whole year due to probation. before i got busted i smoked steady for 8 years.after i stopped smokin i thought to myself"this is gonna be kind of cool,i'll stop smokin and get my head back" WRONG!! i consider myself to be a pretty sharp individual that preforms with atleast 98% brain power even after 8-10 years of trypn,smokin,tweakin and rollin ,but after i stopped smokin i couldnt focus and remember like i did when i smoked. i need a high level of depth preception in my line of work and after i stopped smokin i lost my depth preception.it really fucked with my head the entire year when i stopped. but,now i'm free to smoke and everything is a-ok!
the funny thing is i could be smoked out of my mind and still be smarter than everyone else at my work.i work with a bunch of drunks.they go home and drink themselves to sleep everynight. now thats a bad habit!

#5 Hefex78

Hefex78

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:03 PM

You know, I've been smoking for about 8 years, the last 2 years have been nearly every day. For me, it really helps, I'm a depressive wreck without it, which I know means I am addicted and have a chemical dependance, despite my beleif that marijuana has very few negative effects, I know that it DOES have some, and especially when used habitually, by I try and balance it out by running two miles every day and eating a healthy diet etc. My memory has never seemed to be effected by marijuana... I've been attending college for a long time and I smoke pot before class after class while doing homework etc, and I can't say it has made me do porly on any of my exams or tests or essays at all, in fact it MOTIVATES me to do my homework, which seems quite contradictory to what most people say about lack of motivation... I'll try and find some more scientific info to post for you later bros... I'm working on some school stuff right now... be back with another reply shortly :)

#6 jbaggs1

jbaggs1

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:07 PM

Long term effects? Each person is different but you tend to drive real slow when high. Lack of motivation depends on the person. I love words so I tend to do research when I'm high. Try to ehance your creative side, engage your brain. The positive aspects of long term use can be greatly benefical, although the gov't would have you believe that long term use leads a person into a stagnant world. I have friends from all walks of life that have smoked for years. These people are accomplished in thier fields and avid smokers of the evil weeds. Long term effects? Was that the question? Fuck! What was I talking about?

#7 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:28 PM

Are you afraid of your memory ? ever think how your longs will look after a couple of years ?
If you don't care about that why are you asking this question then ?
I'm not saying you must stop smoking ,smoke if you like and have fun.. you only live ones...!

#8 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:40 PM

brain damage? no it doesn't kill nuerons even if the govt would like you to believe that, but they want you to think it causes schizophrenia too. THC does however build up in your synapses because of its lipid solubility, which at high levels can impede memory, ect. Right now I haven't smoked in a few days (fuckin dry town) and am actually surprisingly happy, I usually get the same problems that wa7sum described, which make me mad because I'd like to believe I'm not dependent on anything but food water and air. I think life experiences at the time I started working my way through the pharmacopeia increased my risk for psychological dependency though...too young and confused prolly..... Really though, the way I can afford to smoke, its not very harmful. I'm talkin a gram of good stuff/day or less. Lung damage = negligible
amotivational syndrome? I call bullshit... there was a time in my past when I had given up on life and didn't care about anything or anyone. My job was to stay high and wait to die. However that was all me I've come to find, sure its nice to get high and get lazy, but I like to get high and study, play music, ect too. So which came first the chicken or the egg? Did the kid toke first and then slack off in school and lose his job, or did shitty life experiences drive said individual to a drug that would help him to not focus on the shitty aspects of his life. I'd like to here from some of the oldtimers here though: after a lifetime (or decades rather) of smoking; do ya wish you wouldn't have started? DO ya feel stupider? (word? heh) Shit, where'd I put my keys?.....thats about as bad as I think it gets folks, the kind herb is kind :)

#9 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:02 PM

Very nicely put wa7sum, I am in that same position;
when I explain it to doctors they have told me the following -
any smoke is bad, it damages your lungs
and don't smoke too much or it'll make you stupid.
The first "fact" is true, the second is far from.
However, if you or your family have a history of mental disorders
you should be wary of all hallucinogens,
which, even as much as I hate to say it,
includes weed.
My friend across the stree smokes weed and gets panic attacks.
Brain damage?
No.
Brain altering?
Yes.
You're basically ingesting a nontoxic chemical that disorients your neurons.
Even if some did die, you have plenty on non-active neurons in your body
you've never even used before.
So when people say, "You can't grow back dead neurons,"
they speak truely.
Your body is a weblink of neurons - when one dies there's no real change
as surrounding neurons would just pick up the slack, so-to-speak,
and if need be, or if you have the ability,
you could take neurons within the network that have never been activated
(this is where silly myths like "you only use 10% of your brain" come from)
and activate them, thereby not growing new cells, merely activating cells that had
been dormant since you have had them.
This was how it was explained to me by a bio major,
not a bio doctor,
so anyone who's "in the know" on neurological science,
hit it up style.

#10 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

Wa7um, do you notice when you're not high, you lack in areas?
I'm somewhat known as a walking mouth
(go figure, right?)
but I find that speaking up in class is no problem when I'm baked,
but if I'm sober I will trip over my words easier.
Wondering if you had similar experiences -
almost like being sober is the intoxication.
NOT GOOD!
lmao

#11 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:11 PM

Wa7um, do you notice when you're not high, you lack in areas?
I'm somewhat known as a walking mouth
(go figure, right?)
but I find that speaking up in class is no problem when I'm baked,
but if I'm sober I will trip over my words easier.
Wondering if you had similar experiences -
almost like being sober is the intoxication.
NOT GOOD!
lmao

I felt the same way when I stopped smoking years ago,Also I noticed that when "high" I wouldnt care as much to do some outrageous things and not care what people say.Now Im more worried about what people say/think about me.

#12 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:15 PM

I know what you mean, I think everyone has experienced the stupidness after quitting for a few days, but it goes away quick, prolly the most mild withdrawal symptoms of any drug I've ever used. As far as the lungs go, I bet that pot smoke is astronomically better for em than any other kind of smoke. I hold in my hits a long time, smoke joints and pipes usually, and I don't wheeze or a cough at all now that I've more or less (doh) quit cigs. Sure your going to hurt your lungs by taking gravity rips and silly stuff that makes you cough; but if you need an oral fixation I think a joint is better than a cig any day

#13 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:49 PM

i think i goes .. you only use 10% of your brain at any one time TS... but anyways
to my understanding... THC does not kill brain cells like other drugs... i does however clogg the neurons like vrooota stated... which is the reason it affects memeory.. if i remember correctly... a period of 7months is needed for these clogs to clear up for most habitual smokers.. now if you smoke a 1/2oz a day it's probibly a bit longer, but the point is smoking pot does not kill any brain cells. The only part of smoking pot that kills brain cells is holding your hit in for like 30 seconds, which denies your brain from O2, the same as holding your breath under water.. this is all of course just what i've read on the subject.. it's hard to find no bias info about such a touchy subject..
LOST

#14 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:05 PM

Cannabis is safe, it doesn't kill your brain cells or cause cancer, and in some countries they use it as an expectorant to clean out your lungs. I have been smoking almost everyday for 12 years(only missed time on probation) and I remember everything I want to. I think everyone is different and somethings work better for others, but experiment as much as you want with weed, it won't hurt you and you can return fully to normal, even the propagandists admit that. You decide, it doesn't matter, it won't hurt you... Also, the more you use the less high you'll actually get because your brain downgrades you receptors when flooded. This is a sort of control that people can have with herb, you can get higher by smoking less frequently or you can stay buzzed forever, your choice. It's a healing plant, a miracle medicine for some, a benign wacky weed at worst...

#15 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:04 PM

Dammit I hate myths!
[EDIT: With the exception of ancient myths, Greek and Chinese and Japanese and whatnot...but I don't think we're going to be touching that here]
Most things people know about marijuana aren't true (same goes for shrooms, but I don't have a cool site for that...oh, wait, you're here already) http://www.drugpolic...ana/factsmyths/
Do you know how many different functions the brain has? It's one active motherfucker; thinking about it gives me a headache...lol http://faculty.washi...ler/tenper.html
Yeah, I, ah....yeah I just threw this one in... http://www.crystalin.../loch_ness.html

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm not sure about it not having long term effects or even health issues with it's use. But I do know from my personal experiences that I'm toasted for sure. I can't remember shit!

#17 mickyboy

mickyboy

Market Restricted

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:16 PM

yeah- ive smoked bud before school every morning. i noticed that not only does it make the day go faster, but it helps me be interested in things that i would normally not like. then once im out of school i smoke at least once more if not more. my reaction times are very when im high, so mabey for me, i have built up a bit of a tolerance to it. i wonder if you can build up a tolerance? anybody know?

i like to say a blunt a day keeps the doctor away

#18 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:10 PM

Jack Herer's "The Emperor Wears No Clothes"
If you can find real scientific proof that hemp (pot) can cause physical damage you can get $10k from him.
Use the link above to get the real skinny on the only true scientific research done on the pharmacology of hemp(pot).
The Govt tried to seal the records but the universities that did the research refused.
Information is also from the Library of Congress.
When they tried to prove that smoking hemp(pot) caused cancer like they knew cigs did they found it cured certain types of cancer.
It was the #1 prescribed drug by the AMA till their president's arm was twisted by the agency (that was renamed the DEA) threatend him with the loss of being able to write scripts for controlled drugs.
In the morning he testified before Congress against the hemp stamp act, and in the afternoon had a sudden aditude change and reversed his stance.
Did you know it was a requirement, in the original 13 colonies, that you had to grow hemp?
And since rags, which were used to make paper, were taxed by the British the original Declaration of Independence was written on hemp(pot) paper.
The War of 1812 in which we fought, once again agains the British, was for the right to trade in Hemp(pot)
And Popular Science ran on one of its covers in 1900 the story that hemp(pot) was the USA's first billion dollar crop.
The USA was the number one producer/exporter of hemp(pot) world wide.
With current production methods hemp(pot) can be used to replace every drop of oil used in the USA.
And at the same time hemp(pot) could replace all the timber taken from logging, preserving old growth forests from harvest.
Just a few things you can learn from Jack.

#19 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:35 PM

I also smoke daily, partly for pain management of muscle spasms I have in my jaw muscles. It helps quite a bit and I perform as well in life as I do while I'm not smoking. Some people like to have a cup of coffee every morning, some a dough nut, some nothing. I like some thc. :)

I really haven't noticed any effects on my brains performance and I'm relatively where I want to be in life. Some people could let it get in the way, but hey, nothing is for everybody.

#20 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

"And Popular Science ran on one of its covers in 1900 the story that hemp(pot) was the USA's first billion dollar crop.
The USA was the number one producer/exporter of hemp(pot) world wide."

I think the story was from '38, published the year after the Stamp Act was passed, and advocated a new machine that would revolutionize the industry; most people didn't know that their hemp product was being classified as a drug marijuana. Most of "confiscated weed" was hemp used for cloth; this is how the myth about marijuana baing more potent now than it used to be. It wasn't until that 72 shit that they realized anything below 1% doesn't get you stoned and weed doesn't get more potent than 5%. Learned that in a psychology class. But back to the clothing - while we were a big supplier of hemp, it was also difficult to find imported fabrics that didn't include hemp. What's "the fabric of our lives," again?

"When they tried to prove that smoking hemp(pot) caused cancer like they knew cigs did they found it cured certain types of cancer."

How embarassing would that be?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!