Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Sterilite, perlite, mycobags grow log (FIRST TIMER)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

:bow:THANK YOU ALL for the great responses.:bow:

The gf and I decided to take a sneak peak tonight to see what's happened (this is our first time) and were very happy to see some mycelium forming in each of the mycobags.

Getting the bags into pure darkness with the heatbomb sure did the trick, so thank you again for helping with that!

Until the next update!

#22 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

It seems that the mycelium has, for lack of a better world, stalled. Only one inoculated bag shows signs of real growth, but even then it's only about 30% covered in the white stuff (mycelium).

One strain, P.E. shows absolutely NO signs of growth at all..

I think we'll give it another week in the warm dark place before and hope for the best :-(

..any ideas on how to give this a helping hand?

#23 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:30 AM

1 other thing... one of the bags, with the most mycelium seems to have a lot of blue-ish green stuff throughout the substrate, does that mean it's contaminated and shouldn't be used or is it okay? The 2 bags with any real amount of mycelium seem to have it at the center -- but not at the outside of the substrate, is this okay/normal and we need to give it time or has it indeed stalled and we should dunk and get what we can?

thanks..

#24 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:47 AM

do have some more pics, this doesn't sound
good at all. :(

#25 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

Showing minimal growth... just a hint of mycelium

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05991-400.jpg
  • DSC05989-400.jpg

#26 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:29 AM

Looks like a lot of healthy growth. The very outsides have not colonized, but the entire middle of the bag seems well-colonized, no green/blue stuff at all..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05993-400.jpg
  • DSC05992-400.jpg

#27 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

Absolutely nothing. No growth of anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC05996-400.jpg

#28 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:36 AM

This is the strain showing the blue-ish/green stuff on the top and bottom of the substrate.. The last picture shows some growth of what appears to be mycelium, though..

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC06006-400.jpg
  • DSC06002-400.jpg
  • DSC06001-400.jpg
  • DSC05998-400.jpg

#29 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

that green is definitely contamination

#30 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:37 AM

ok, thanks for letting us know.

The F+ not having colonized the outsides, it's just about 2 weeks since innoculation, when does anyone thing we should dunk? That seems to be the only that seems possible to get any goods out of..

#31 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:44 AM

dunking is usually done when the cake is at 100% and your birthing to fruit. Or you dunk
just after a harvest in between flushes to get it ready for the next flush. I wouldn't dunk when you still have uncolonized sub, your leaving that open for contaminate spores.
Btw, the light you mentioned in your other thread wont hurt you at all. Some times when peeps grow invitro they never put them in the dark. I'll keep my fingers x'd for the jars you have left that have not shown signs of contamination...:)

#32 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

I don't the F+ (which is doing the best for us) is going to fully colonize though, it seems stalled where it is, that being only colonizing the middle, but not all of the outside.. is there anything we can do to help that along? what about for dunking.. taking out the loaf of mycelium and durnking it separate from the uncolonized substrate, then putting it in the fruiting chamber in an open tupperware container....?

thanks for the help :-)

#33 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

how long has it been(in days) that you have notice no growth?

#34 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

how long has it been(in days) that you have notice no growth?

6 days

#35 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:30 PM

no don't take the stalled mycelium out and dunk it and fruit it. you will get contams. i think that you're whole project is probably full of contams. did you sterilize your needle before you innoculated? you probably didn't practice good enough sterilization procedures which caused the project to become full of contams.

usually the mycelium will sprout where the spores were innoculated, the spread out into the substrate from there. with grain bags, you can "knead" them to spread the mycelium throughout the bag.

however, it looks like you have contamination in all the bags. i would start over with new bags and new spore syringes. make sure you clean your work area with alcohol, bleach, lysol, etc. Then wear rubber gloves or at least take a shower and wash your hands with alcohol. Then flame sterilize the needle before injecting the bag. Seal the hole immediately and resterilize the needle before injecting the next bag.

doing all this in a "glovebox" will prevent contams even better, but is not necessary.

good luck.

#36 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:51 PM

Only one of the bags shows ANY signs of contamination. The other 3 show none.

Yes, the needle was sterilized. As was the point of puncture. I don't know how we could have possibly practiced any better sterilization techniques, we are n00bs, but we were incredibly aware of sterilization. The work area was thoroughly cleaned before hand, are and our hands were washed and gloved, we did not touch -anything- without gloves on, and even then we were very methodical not to do/move/touch anything that we didnt need to.

Where are you seeing signs of contamination in the other bags? We aren't seeing any.. at all (other than the one bag which has been tossed). Perhaps you could point out what your seeing.. or somethin?

Could it have been the substrate, maybe? It had been frozen when we recieved it.. could it have been the spore syringes from ralphster? (I'd try another place, but I don't where else sells) I want to try Mycrotopia's bags -- but I'd have to buy 10, which would cost me $150 in enough spores to innoculate all 10 bags

thanks for the reply...

#37 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:08 PM

Check the bags that have no signs of contamination but have stopped growing (stalled) for a sweet smell like alchol or fermenting juice, fruit, etc. Force air out the filter patch to get a wiff. A sweet oder indicates bacteria.

SWIM used mych that came from a bacteria laden jar with success. He took the healthy looking mychg and did a light bleach dunk, then spawned to coir/verm, it fruited ok with no further sign of bacteria. Usually, we don't use contamed mych but if it's all you have sometimes it's worth a shoot, you wouldn't be the first to get fruits.:amazed:

Spend $30 at wally world and make a proper glovebox ! The rewards are worth it. You can clean a room a million times take a billion showers and you still won't be as sterile as a sealed box with half a can of lysol sprayed in it. And you can go 3 days without showering and still get nice clean results. DO NOT FLAME STERILIZE YOUR NEEDLE IN THE GLOVE BOX. do it outside and fill the needle cover with isopropyl alchol and insert it back after sterilizing.

btw order 10 bags for $45 and hillbillys march special $25 = $65 including shipping and enough spores left over to innoc 40 more bags. 1cc per bag is all oyu need.

#38 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

Some people are saying all bags are contaminated (but I'm not seeing it and they're not explaining what they're seeing). The smells isn't sweet and I'm not seeing any of those signs -- which is why I don't understand what people mean that they seem contamination in all the bags..

I'm not interested in ordering 10 bags, which is the problem. I don't have the room for them (or the spores).

We'd grow more -- if we could get stuff to grow and if we had more private space (which we don't, we're renting)

:sad:

#39 the jesus

the jesus

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

Cheer up totallynew it sounds like you are doing ok. If you say only one bag has contams then you are doing great for your first time, it would be more strange if you DIDN'T get a few contams at the beginning. If some bags are stalling try kneading them a bit. The ones that aren't doing anything can be re inocculated if you have any spores left. By my math, these bags were nocced up 12 or 13 days ago correct? Not nearly enough time to get worried or sad. So chin up and be patient, you will be alright.:thumbup:

#40 totallynew

totallynew

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

Thanks for the reply..

at approx how many days should I think about giving up, then? I thought in 2 weeks they'd be ready for a dunk and fruit.

I only think that 1 is contaminated (and it's been tossed), but JM thinks all are contam -- but I'm not understanding why he thinks that..

thanks again :-)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!