52 replies to this topic

#1 Spark

Spark

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 01:03 PM

My meter is very sketchy.
Often times it will read but it's not 100% accurate.
There are two setting of which are IN and OUT

OUT=94.5
IN= 76.6
Currenty

I'm using this to incubate some jars
what is the actual tempeture inside
the box?

#2 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 03:13 PM

Nobody can tell you that. Hygrometers are for measuring humidity, not temperature.

#3 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:11 PM

Personnally I dont incubate jars.I find it works juat as well to leave em at room temp (70-75 degrees),Its much easier.RR is right with what he said about the hygrometer.A hygrometer is used more for your grow chameber not your incubater.Use a tempature gauge.
  • Earthling likes this

#4 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

:confused: Hygrometer is for humidity and thermometer is for temps. If ya have an outside and inside setting the outside temp is recorded by a sensor that is outdoors or inside the chamber. If ya want to record the temp as "inside" then put the entire instrument in your chamber and that will show up as the "inside" temp.

#5 Spark

Spark

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:03 PM

Well the humidity reads 20% no matter what i do.

#6 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:06 PM

The humidity sensor is probably on the part of the deviced that is outside your chamber. Stick the whole thing in your chamber and see what it reads. Is it digital?

#7 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:23 PM

You can get a good hygrometer at www.torka.com

#8 Spark

Spark

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 05:28 PM

It is digital...

And since it reads this way it would be counterproductive if i had it inside cause then i won't be able to tell where the temperature is at.

#9 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:52 PM

It is digital...

And since it reads this way it would be counterproductive if i had it inside cause then i won't be able to tell where the temperature is at.

Grab a cheap temp gauge and Hygrometer at wally's world its about 10 bucks and throw em both inside your bin,then you wont have all the digital probs.

#10 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:03 AM

a foaf had a semi cheap one he got from walmart, it sucked ass, it would get to about 85% and never rise above it, he then went to a cigar shop and got a nice digital one for about 20 bucks. it served him really well.

#11 Raptor

Raptor

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:56 PM

Actually it wouldn't be counterproductive, I have an identical hygro/thermometer from radioshack. There's a node on a long cable, this reads as the outside temperature. The unit itself reads (indoor) temperature and humidity. If you want to know "where the temperature is"; it's wherever you place the unit itself. Mine, under the digital display, has small holes (looks like speaker holes or something), that's where the indoor temp/hum. instrument is. I keep the unit resting at the bottom and the node taped to the upper side of the box to get the temperature for both bottom and top of the box.

#12 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

You should be able to see inside your grow chamber. If you can't make it to where you can, otherwise it will be dark in there all the time and that is no good.

It is digital...

#13 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:30 PM

How accurate are digital hygrometers?
What type of sensor do they use?

I used to have a cheap "horse hair" type that I kept in the terrarium, but it never seemed very accurate, so I don't bother anymore.
Incidentally, if anyone needs a hydrometer calibration method (must be one in the archives, but I've bookmarked this one):
http://www.dukecityc.../hygrometer.htm

#14 Raptor

Raptor

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

I guess they're a lot more acurate than analog ones, but I don't know specs. This is the exact one I have
http://www.radioshac...duct_id=63-1032

On manual it says Relative Humidity Operating Range is 25% to 95% RH. sooo?

#15 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

I just bought a analogue hygrometer from a cigar shop. It is plastic and does not feel very sturdy. Will this be a problem? Also, the thing cost me $10, are hygrometers around that price range usually accurate?

#16 mwillis71

mwillis71

funkybuttlover

• Expired Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:51 PM

I would get a good digi one from radioshack. A foaf has noticed that the small plastic ones aren't very acurate with usually a 10 to 15 percent fluctuation. :smokin:

#17 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

I prefer the cheap analog ones like that from a cigar shop. Wrap it up in a damp bath towel for half an hour. Unwrap it and adjust the recessed screw on the back until the dial reads 98%. That's the beauty of those analog hygrometers. You can calibrate them and they'll be very accurate. The hair or other fiber inside stretches with time, so re-calibrate it again every two weeks or so.
RR

#18 mwillis71

mwillis71

funkybuttlover

• Expired Member
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

Well shit, no wonder the one my buddy had didn't work! Thanks for the info Rodger. By the way, the ones that you get from radioshack have a remote so you can put one on your wall to read your temp and humidity in the house and it then has a offspring that you can put in your chamber and it will be readable from the parent on your wall. The beauty is that you can check up on your babies anytime without having to open the fruiting chamber and bothering them or possibly contaming.

#19 Dank Side Of The Shroom

Dank Side Of The Shroom

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:18 PM

I've foudn cheap plastic ones are always off at least 10%. I paid 300 bucks for a state of the art digi, But thats because i saved up for a while to get it. Any ways any digi will be reliable as well as others but try to avoid the cheapies.

#20 drgonzo1969

drgonzo1969

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:35 AM

thanks for the help. I am gonna try the wet towl trick tomorow.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!