• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hi, I read on another post where someone put their cakes directly on perlite so the micelium could reach into it and gather water from below. Well, since many people have spoken against this practice I suggest an alternative method that could bear similar results.
You can buy ultra absorbent fiber cloth used for kitchen cleaning wipers and cut them in the shape and size of the base of your cakes. Must be the ones that are like 5 mm thick. Then put your cakes on top of this and now you can put these on foil or whatever you put on top of the perlite.
To keep this cloth moist you can just use a syringe and add water to it until you can see moisture barely on the outside. The micelium actually likes this cloth, it runs all over it. And you can still add water with a syringe as you feel necessary. Actually most of my pins came out of the base where the cloth was. Hope i had pics.
First time I did this it went bad because I used big 30x40 cm pieces of cloth and since some parts didnt colonize some mold spots appeared, but this is prevented by cutting discs and PC them before using.
Thats it for now. Any comments welcome as usual.
Cheers,
Joy.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1446.JPG

#2 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:34 AM

I would ike to see pics..it is an interesting idea

#3 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:14 AM

Has anyone tried this before?

#4 thepope

thepope

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:32 AM

The arguments against placing the cakes directly on the perlite are that
the cake could become "waterlogged" and also that the moist, uncolonized perlite could absorb mushroom wastes and foster contaminates
(although my foaf's experiments have shown dissident results:
the cakes do NOT become waterlogged by the saturated perlite, although they would if you had a layer of perlite floating on a layer of water
and the perlite isn't more of a contam vector than anything else in your terrarium that's not colonized or sterile)

The thing about what you are suggesting is that,
both of the alleged issues should still apply to this new method right?

The waterlogging is not such an issue as you have found,
just don't sit it in an overly wet place, saturated perlite= OK, wet perlite = NOT

The other argument is that the kitchen wipe thing will soak up mushroom wastes and foster contaminates, it would do this just as much as perlite performing the same function would, and as you can see this is not a problem either......

The arguments against perlite seem incorrect, at least in my foaf's experience..... this method also goes against these ideas, and it too works well..... Anyone got experience that says otherwise, making sure that they drained the standing water off the perlite first?

#5 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,962 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:56 AM

well, we tell people not to put their cakes on perlite because overall it's not a very good practice... a few different things are at play. First, the water content of the cake before you put it on the perlite is important... if your cake is already nicely saturated, it can suck up more water than it can deal with in the amount of time it absorbs the water from the perlite. Another reason that we tell peeps to DEC is that we want to restrict the amount of expended energy that isn't used on fruiting... I bet if you lift a cake up that was fruited directly on perlite, you'd have a HUGE ball of perlite stuck to the bottom of it. This is where the myc. grew into the perlite, using a lot of nutes to do so... So if you restrict the area that the cake can colonize with a plastic lid or foil with the allowed amount of DEC'ing, the cake won't use much needed nutes on expanding into the perlite. And whether you can smell them or not, perlite is harboring serious bacteria (in most cases, hence the overall suggestion) that is growing throughout the fruiting cycle of your cake. I've fruited plenty of cakes on straight perlite, sure they fruit lots of mushies the first flush but they tend to be hollow and dry to a paper-like thickness... then the cakes mold out before the second flush... So it's really an issue of control. when you put the cakes directly on perlite, you are giving up control of how much water the cake is really getting. It's a better idea, imho, to do a dunk and DEC; then keep a close eye on them. :)

fahtster

#6 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

I agree with Faht 100%.

Also - ever bite down on a nugget of verm stuck in a shroom stalk? Nasty.

Ever bite down on a pellet of Perl? Much worse...

#7 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

could this cloth perform the same way as DEC if used on both ends?

#8 Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Guest_SnakeEyes_*

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

I make it a practice to keep H202 in the water in my perlite. You wouldnt want the cakes to absorb the peroxide anyways.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

peroxide in open air breaks down in just a couple days anyway so it's soon gone...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!