• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 moby420

moby420

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:19 AM

The size of ther pressure cooker doesn;t really matter does it? I would think its just on the amount of jars you want to do at a time. What do you think?

#2 Guest_pbeester_*

Guest_pbeester_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:52 AM

Have to be sure that you can fit what you want in it and depending on how serious you are about growing, it is one of the biggest and most important investments. It takes a long time to PC 40 jars when you can only do 6-7 at a time...

(Message edited by PissyBee on February 08, 2005)

#3 Guest_thefungione_*

Guest_thefungione_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:00 AM

yes it does pb..yes it does...

#4 moby420

moby420

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:27 AM

Thanks for the insight! It will help me decide on the quality to buy.

#5 Guest_suckerfree_*

Guest_suckerfree_*

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:33 AM

Remember, that how many quarts it says it is, isn't how many Quart jars it can hold, but how much liquid.
For example, mine is a 12 quart pressure cooker, capable of holding 7 quart jars.
I wouldn't be happy if it held any less, I've found I've wished for MORE space sometimes, but 7 is ok for my needs. (esp. spawned, goes a long ways)

Some say All American's are great, mine is a Mirro (wal-mart), haven't had any problems.

#6 moby420

moby420

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:19 AM

Thanks suckerfree, I looked at that at walmart yesterday, I just couldn't decide on which size to buy. Now i have some idea of what they will hold.

#7 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:04 PM

Got a question about the proper use of a PC.

I just finished making 6 jars using the pf tek,after that--i pc'd them in my pressure cooker.I filled the water just enough so that it'll run for atleast one hour

Here's the problem-pc'ed 6 half pint jars for 60 minutes,by the time i had finished there was barely any water left in my pc.And since i even tried to fill the water line up as high as i can...i got a ton of condensation in my jars afterwards.

#8 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:51 PM

Looks to me that your jars aren't well closed. !
I fill my pressure cooker so far,that the bottom of the jars is just touching the water.
If your pressure cooker is pressurised,put the fire on low.

#9 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:20 PM

how did you prep your jars? tape over the holes? foil over the whole lid?
you can add more water just make sure that it only goes at most, halfway up the jars. if you need too. put a washtowel under the jars to raise them up enough out of the water.

#10 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:33 PM

How much is the weight rocking on your pc? It doesn't need to be going full bore.....just every few seconds or so...I let mine go so it just rocks gently every few seconds and its good...less water leaves as steam.

#11 anticheffy

anticheffy

Nice to be back in the air !

• OG VIP
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:46 PM

ya , throttle the burner back so its only rocking every few seconds.
And/or jack up the jars in the pot with something so you can get more water in there,
or see if you can score a bigger PC somewhere

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:15 PM

If you have the rocking type of regulator, it will eat up water in the pot. I used 8-10 times more water with my pot with the rocking type regulator than i do with this old but new pc with a guage. I put about a 1/4 inch of water in this gauged pot and all of it is there after i pc for 90 minutes. It's far superior.

#13 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:22 AM

Make sure to use the minimum water that you need. My pc is a rocker type and for one hour I could get away with 2 cups water (most likely). Judging by the water left over it sound like you are putting in just the right amount.

Make sure that you are covering the holes in your lids with either tinfoil for the whole lid or tape for just the holes.

#14 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:04 AM

This always used to be a problem of mine as well.
The only consistent solution I found was to raise the jars out of the water by placing something under the standoff plate. I usually used a layer of empty halfpints.

#15 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:34 AM

The weight needs to rattle no more than once or twice every few minutes. Normally, a small amount of steam will begin releasing at 14 psi, and the weight begins to rattle at 15 psi. If you can adjust your stove so the steam escapes, but the weight doesn't rattle, it's perfect. I have ran my all american for 3 hours that way with minimal water loss. If the weight rattles constantly, the pc will boil dry within a short time. When using half pints, HF's suggestion of a layer of empty jars under the standoff plate will let you add more water and still keep your brf jars totally out of it.

#16 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:22 PM

I guess it had something to do with the fact that there were no lids on the jars...this is what caused my jars to be wet after sterilizing them in the pc.

My pressure cooker sucks for half pint jars...One time i acidently ran the pc dry...and this kinda fucked up the pc abit.But nothing serious...... :)

#17 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

First of all, a PC that has ran dry should never be used again. You're playing with a time bomb. Throw it away and buy a new one.

Second, You must have lids on your jars.

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 05:53 PM

I'm not sure if were all talking about the same type of regulator. Here's some pics of what i was talking about the rocker type. This type of regulator will eat up water because it's supposed to gently move back and forth. Pretty lame rig IMO.

Attached Thumbnails

• pc1.jpg
  • pc2.jpg

#19 meihoe

meihoe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:24 PM

I finally decided to buy a pressure cooker. I was just wondering what one should I buy, and what size do you guys reccomend? Thank again! Oh, I wanted to spend about $75....

#20 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:48 PM

Man, just the other day I was looking on ebay and they had several brands of pc's going for damn cheap. 14 qts. All American for 21 bucks. That's were I got my 25 qt. from and I absolutely love it. Just make sure to read the entire ad before bidding.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!