Photo
- - - - -

What pressure cooker should I buy?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:58 PM

Pay special attention to the number of qt jars it will hold. I had a 5qt pres cooker that would not hold even 1 qt jar,,,

#22 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:59 PM

As big as will fit your cooker! Seriously, you'll never regret buying the biggest one you can, it's surprising how many jars you can want to sterilise at once :)
E-bay is a great source for bargains.

I'd like to get an AA PC myself, we only get piddly little cookers here in the UK.
I did consider buying one and getting it shipped over, but with the postage, duty, VAT etc. it just got ridiculous :(

#23 sandman

sandman

Lil Skeeter

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,747 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:53 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...409460&tc=photo

this one.

#24 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:16 PM

lol if only we all had 665 to burn on that electrical one, wed all be very happy

my buddy told me to tell you to get an AA921, she swears by it, it holds 7 to 9 qts (two on their side) or 24ish odd halfpints. they are well worth the investment.

it really depends on how much you are going to pc, if you are going to do a lot of jars, then go with a big pc, the time you save will be well worth the extra sixty bucks you spend.

#25 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

I found my 22qt presto at MallWart for about $70ish. I love it. Has a nice gauge and holds 7 quarts with 7 half pints right on top in the same load, or just barely enough room for 28 wide halfpints. Has paid for itself many times over in doing the job right the first time. :) Just my tuppence.

#26 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

I have a 23 quart Presto; E-Bay, $90 with shipping.
A similar-sized All-American is twice as much but in the opinion of the experts the way to go.
Mine does 24 hlafpints or 7 quarts - Shed you can fit 28 in your 22? That's hardcore.
And, yes, a PC is invaluble, even if it's a smaller one;
though one can boil jars a PC is is better imo if only because
(with a large one) one can do many jars at once - one could never boil 24 jars.
But I'm preaching to the choir as you're now set on buying one,
so I'd say if you're not going All-American,
go with what fits your budget
and is the largest size.
That's what I did - bought a year ago, used at least once every few weeks;
if you treat them nice they stay really nice - mine is like new.
Vinegar in your water...that's the real key.

#27 meihoe

meihoe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:52 PM

Is there a difference between a pressure canner vs. a pressure cooker?

#28 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

Same thing.

#29 wayback

wayback

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:16 PM

In the case of purchasing a pc, bigger is definately better. I saved up to buy an All American 921 last fall, and belive me, there's no looking back regrets. Pcing is the only way to really conquor grains, and that's where the big boys come from. Wish ya luck tho.

#30 nomoreusmc

nomoreusmc

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:12 AM

I use the 35$ cheapie from walmart and haven't had any problems with it

#31 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:56 AM

The box mine came in said both Pressure Cooker / Pressure Canner. There has been discussion before on possible differences on one maybe having a pressure guage and the other most offten not. Get one with a guage and you will be happier than if you get one with just a rocker that you have to listen for it to knock at certain rate per minute.

Ya Shredder, the size is just perfect for 7 jars and 4 stacked of wide half pints. :) I end up with tooo many jars colinizing at once that way tho. Like last night, I just put in an even dozen along with a bunch of syringes/needles and left it half empty.

Here is a nice little pun: PC's Rock!

Attached Thumbnails

• strangebrew2005048825311.gif

#32 elixir

elixir

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

Why would somone get a 925 over a 921? Larger water capacity?

#33 tempest2003

tempest2003

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:45 PM

hit the second hand stores, save a buck, or 50 bro, im telling you, just be patient, call em all every day till they get one in, tell em to hold onto it check it out and as long as its intact buy it! cheep cheep cheep

#34 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

I learned a trick at Wallymart...I bought a 22 Qt Mirro PC ($120cdn) from them used it and returned it,Then next day I saw it back on the shelf resealed on sale cause it was opened and used for $70 snatched it up and did the same again.Look on the top shelf thats where they put them.

#35 nword_jim

nword_jim

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:28 AM

Get a big one. Having to queue up jars to PC in a little one blows.

#36 shocktherapy

shocktherapy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:49 PM

Ok, heres the deal.

my PC has been completely contaminated in every way imaginable, my dumb ass left a slurry of birdseed runoff/water in it for almost a week and when i opened the lid what did i find staring me in the face? More mould than i've ever seen in my life, differing shades of green, blue, black, red, pink..etc..this PC is my only PC and being such is vital in my growing operations.

As i'm writing this i have soaked it in a 50% bleach water solution overnight, drained, and proceeded to PC for 6hrs at 18psi, i gave it 3 days to stay clean and it didn't, the mould overtook it again and now i'm back to square one.

anyone have any input?

#37 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:56 PM

Wow. I'd go for overkill - soak it in 100% bleach for a week and kill everything. I've had similar things happen with some rye water...it was gross...time heals all, especially when combined with bleach or alcohol. If you had a few gallons of isopropyl I'd say soak it in that for a week but talk about a fire hazard waiting to happen...

EDIT: A good argument for storing pressure cookers with the lids off (and obviously to keep them clean)

#38 shocktherapy

shocktherapy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:07 PM

taoistshredder]Wow. I'd go for overkill - soak it in 100% bleach for a week and kill everything. I've had similar things happen with some rye water...it was gross...time heals all, especially when combined with bleach or alcohol. If you had a few gallons of isopropyl I'd say soak it in that for a week but talk about a fire hazard waiting to happen...

I'm afraid that if i soak it with 100% bleach then i'll never be able to get it out and that might lead to my jars being rendered inept via the bleach being steamed through my substrate...

with isopropyl you don't have that problem, it evaporates fairly quickly but yeah, thats a fire/explosion hazard..the biggest problem is that the first bleach soak actually eroded the inside of my PC, now i think the contams have been preserved in the walls and i have no idea how to remedy that...

but good news is coming from the bad, innoculated 8 pint jars of WBS 6 days ago with B+ strain just checked em and they're all showing some very nice germination points, i'm going to keep my incubation temps at 72-75 to keep the contams at bay (made the mistake of losing an entire dozen quarts of WBS to contams with the incubation temps at 85F) my PC is a Presto cooker/ canner model#7 i think it was probably manufactured around the late 80s early 90s, picked it up for 10 bucks + shipping on e-bay a year ago and it's given me absolutely no problems until now.

lesson learned - after PCing leave the cooker outside with the lid off under the sun.

#39 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:18 PM

"the biggest problem is that the first bleach soak actually eroded the inside of my PC, now i think the contams have been preserved in the walls and i have no idea how to remedy that"

Holy fuck; neither do I. That's pretty hardcore. I mean, a mold/bacteria needs something to grow on, so I would assume what is in there will eventually die (everything does), as all that's in there is metal and maybe some old leftover birdseed. Once it eats all it can, it'll die, and then it's just a matter of getting rid of the dead mold. You might be able to help it along, as you said, by taking the lid off and letting it sit out. That WILL take time. Lots of it. I'd get a new pressure canner.

#40 shocktherapy

shocktherapy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

"the biggest problem is that the first bleach soak actually eroded the inside of my PC, now i think the contams have been preserved in the walls and i have no idea how to remedy that"

Holy fuck; neither do I. That's pretty hardcore. I mean, a mold/bacteria needs something to grow on, so I would assume what is in there will eventually die (everything does), as all that's in there is metal and maybe some old leftover birdseed. Once it eats all it can, it'll die, and then it's just a matter of getting rid of the dead mold. You might be able to help it along, as you said, by taking the lid off and letting it sit out. That WILL take time. Lots of it. I'd get a new pressure canner.

I knew someone was going to suggest that...i've been checking e-bay periodically but i've yet to see anything near to what i need for the price i'm willing to pay, guess i'll just keep soaking the bastard in bleach and hopin for the best, in the mean time i'll go yardsaleing.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!