#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

I have been trying some different things out after spending countless hours reading up in the vaults. I have been snow-bound a bit this winter and so I am trying to use what I have on hand and can't really "pop" into the city to get supplies.

One thing i've had laying around are these long plastic ziplock bags used to hold bulk incense sticks. I decided to try my luck at building straw/poo logs in the bags. Here's what i've done so far.

I cut the straw with scissors into small pieces (hard labour) and soaked the straw in a bucket with a small amount of bleach and covered with water. I let that soak for about 3 hours or more. At the same time I took a bin of well composted goat poo and baked it at 155 for 1 1/2 hour (flipping halfway) in a large cookie sheet covered with tinfoil (the g/f is'nt too fond of goat poo on the bake-ware...:rasta: It just so happens that this goat poo was very well composted for a couple years. For that reason I did'nt feel the need to add any lime to it. If the poo was fresher or not as composted I would have likely used lime to balance the acidity.

Next I drained the straw through a colander and rinsed the bleach water off. I removed the goat poo from the oven and wearing rubber gloves I combined the straw, goat poo and some vermiculite in a clean bin and mixed thoroughly. Next I stuffed a pillowcase with the mixture, tied it off and submerged it in a large canner pot full of water that was showing to be 155 degrees on my candy thermometer.

I let the pillow case pasturize at no more than 155 F for 70 minutes in the canner. Also I made sure that the pillowcase was weighed down to fully submerge it. After an hour and so I removed the pillowcase onto a colander placed over a bucket. I immeaditely placed a clean trashbag over over that to hedge against contamination. Wearing rubber gloves (very hot) I massaged, squeezed, rolled, pressed the pillowcase to help it drain. I could have left it hanging overnight, but poo juice running down the shower wall all night is a little much for the mrs. After squeezing and twisting the sack a bunch I let it cool completely, again with a clean trash bag over the pillowcase/ colander /bucket.

When the pillowcase is completely cool to the touch I took a freshly cleaned bin and dumped the contents of the sack into it. I mixed thoughly and broke up clumps of straw. The ratio of Goat Poo to Straw was 50 / 50, and like i said I added some vermiculite to taste. This mix was field capacity, so when I squeezed a handful tightly, only a couple or 3 drops of moisture ran out.

Next I got quite cheerfully stoned and grimaced at the mess I had already made. I took my incense bags and loaded them into the glove box which I had just cleaned/sprayed thoroughly. I took 3 fully colonized PF cakes and one by one I put them up inside a fresh new clear grabage bag (later to be used to house my messes!) I scoot the jar up inside the garbage bag and use it as a super-ghetto glovebox. I undue the jar lid inside the garbage bag and slide it off and down on to the trap i've placed on the floor. The g/f does'nt appreciate stepping on verm the way I do :pirate:

Next step was to use my finger through the garbage bag to remove the 1/2 inch dry verm layer at the top of the PF jar. Again it fell out of the garbage bag and down onto the tarp. I birthed each PF cake out into the garbage bag in the same way. Now I have 3 PF cakes in a clean garbage bag. I then crumble the B+ PF cakes well and then add that to the bin of goat poo / straw / verm that is sitting beside me with a lid on. Everything is mixed as well as can be with clean gloves on, a clear garbage bag over top of the bin. I do this becuase i've had trich problems and my place is cluttered with stuff.

The last steps were to fill each incense bag stuff-full with the poo/straw/cake mix. I really jammed it in there tight and squeezed it down well. I stuffed all the bags with the B+ strain and then repeated the steps for other PF cakes , with other strains (different garbage bags, clean bins for each). When I was done I put even rows of holes with a clean skapel. I evenly spread the holes all around the logs and placed them in an inncubator @ 82 degrees. I placed each log on 2 jar lid rings and rotate them everytime I check them out.

Here's the first pics of this process. I'll ,make some updates soon. My plan is to fruit the logs on rack in a greenhouse with good humidity.

The first 2 pics are of the logs when they had been freshly loaded into the incense bags. The next picture is of the same bags 24 hours later.

The last pic is humbly my first mushroom that i've ever fruited ! :headbang:
Haha i'm not sure what happened there. That PF jar would'nt finish colonizing after 3 weeks , but it did offer up those aborts that you see. I have since mixed that jar, minus the uncolonized part into the log mix.
Any comments or help is greatly appreciated.

P.S: In case you were wondering the incense bags are about 4 inches across X 14 inches long.

Attached Thumbnails

• jarpin.jpg
  • bag.jpg
  • bag21.JPG
  • bag3.jpg

#2 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

I'd like to say, well done.

I can see in your post that you've done your home work, payed attention to detail and I can't wait to praise your success,

well done :eusa_clap

#3 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:17 PM

I'm trying to pay attention in class :teeth:

#4 antivanity

antivanity

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

This is f'n pimp. Cant wait to see these logs in action! keep us posted man im really excited for you!

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

Here's the incense bags after 40 hours. :loveeyes:

Attached Thumbnails

• good2.JPG
  • good1.JPG

#6 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:19 PM

Lol! Great job! Great Read! Great Pics! Neat to see you using those baggies. Look forward to more!

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

Yeah..! Great project there Hyph...best o luck with those logs...

#8 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:01 AM

This is what the incubator tub looks like inside. I keep a shade cloth over it to keep light out. Daily I rotate the box itself as well as roll the bags over at least twice. This allows a bit of fresh air into the incubator.

The pic would be a solid 48 hours from when I mixed the goat poo / straw / B+ PF cake into the incense bags.

Thanks for the encouragment BTW

Attached Thumbnails

• tubofbags.JPG

#9 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:01 AM

wowee!
thats awesome. im serial.
how did you prepare the goat poo?
is it in another thread some where?

#10 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:26 AM

The goat poo was well, well composted so I did'nt feel the need to add lime to it. To prepare the goat poo I placed it on a piece of tinfoil on a cookie sheet and baked for an hour and a half at between 150 and 155 degrees F in the oven. I flipped the poo halfway through. At the same time the poo was baking I soaked the cut up straw in a bucket with bleach water.Rinsed and drained the straw. Next I combined the poo/straw/verm and crumbled PF cakes in a clean tub and mixed. Then loaded into a pillowcase and pasturized at 155 for 60 - 70 minutes. Drained, cooled and stuffed into incense bags.

Thats the extent of my prep work with the goat skat.

#11 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

Day 3 for the incense bags. I have been exchanging the air in the inncubator a couple times a day and rotating each bag within the tub. I'm hoping to hang some of these logs like bats in my greenhouse with racks. Others i'll let fruit (the good lord willing) laying on the racks.

Cheers

H

Attached Thumbnails

• tubobags.JPG
  • day3.JPG

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:47 PM

Quick update. I put quite a bit more crumbled PF cake in the B+ logs and they are definately well in the lead for colonizing. Taz that was the fastest in the PF jars seems to be puttering along in the rear as a log. I think i'll add lots of spawn to my next batches to hedge against contams.

I have a few fully colonized popcorn jars and was planning to make some goat poo / straw / popcorn logs this afternoon. I'll post up my progress with that. As always any comments are welcomed. Through one of these techniques i'm trying I hope to get some fruit and some good strain selections.

peace

H

#13 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

A couple pics of the goat poo and straw being pastuerized.This batch was 150 degrees F for 70 minutes.

Attached Thumbnails

• bagdrain.jpg
  • bagdrain2.jpg
  • plate.JPG
  • temp.JPG
  • canner.JPG
  • strawpoo.JPG
  • mixed.JPG

#14 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

goat poo lol haha great thread! i'm rootin for ya

#15 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:39 PM

For all you jonsing for the hourly updated pic of the goat skat / straw logs here's the lead log (so to speak)... This log is in the pole position ! :rasta:

plus:

how did you prepare the goat poo?
is it in another thread some where?

I did mention it above about the pasturizing, but I might have failed to mention that I ground up the goat dookie with gloved hands before baking / pasteurizing. I removed all big debris and rocks.The goat fecal matter had a lot of well composted straw/hay mixed in with it so I tried to factor that in when attempting to mix 50/50 goat doodoo / straw.

Attached Thumbnails

• bpluslog.JPG

#16 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:05 PM

My goal in all of this is to gain the nickname Goatboy! :pirate:
I've just cooled a load of goat poop / straw... and now i'm about to get baked and make some SA colonized popcorn / goat dung / straw logs. I'll report back with some pics if the batteries hold out.

cheers & thanks for the inspiration

H

#17 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

Great idea man. :eusa_clap I look forward to more.

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:29 AM

I just finished my second batch of Goat Poo logs. This time I tried to correct any errors in judgement I had made last time. Everything went smooth and I even managed to control the amount of a mess I made. My g/f is very supportive but doesnt like the poo as much as me, especially trailing around the house.

I did all the steps I mentioned above so I won't repeat. I used the big Incense bags again. This time I used 100 % colonized popcorn spawn from some G2G jars I had. The strain is SA. I also did a couple PF cake TAZ and AM just to deal with the jars that were very ready.

In one of the pictures you see a log made in a standard incense bag. I did that one just for curiosity and because I was running out of spawn. The picture with the white garbage bag is suppose to capture me using my "jar condom" pseudo glovebox (bagbox?). I just birth the cakes out into the garbage bag so its never directly exposed to the room air and I reduce the amount I have to touch the cakes. The last pic is from the last batch of logs 4 days ago.

I filled each bag and then put air holes all around each bag evenly with a flamed and cooled skalpel. I'll post some more when it gets more exciting.

cheers

H

Attached Thumbnails

• allbag.JPG
  • bpluslog.jpg
  • popcorn2.jpg
  • fillbag.JPG
  • dumpcake.JPG
  • popcorn.JPG

#19 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

This is a side-by-side shot of freshly packed PF cake / goat poo / straw incense bag log and one that just completed day 4. I'm curious as to how fast the popcorn logs will colonize compared to the PF cake crumble logs. There's popcorn everywhere in the log and it was fully colonized, so I guess it just depends on how well it bounces back.

We shall see

H

P.S: Late breaking question... what do you think about fruiting these logs on shelves or hanging with no casing? Do you think it will work without it? Like I said I plan on fruiting them on racks in a greenhouse with an ultrasonic humidifier and manual tinkering. Any help very appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• sidebyside.jpg

#20 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

Heh Hyph , do those logs have any pinholes for air exch..?
Fruiting on a rack sounds good ..I would gradually loosen the plastic to fruit, by making a few slits...then continue to slowly loosen the plastic as pins develop...U want to preserve surface moisture while providing Oxygen..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!