• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:48 PM

sweet, i love karo. the cool thing is that you can stick it in the fridge and it will stay good for a loooong time

#22 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

sweet, i love karo. the cool thing is that you can stick it in the fridge and it will stay good for a loooong time

hah, that's what CM was saying... I just use em quick cuz my fridge is a definate toxic hazard zone. Someday perhaps I'll have a dedicated lil fridge for myco projects and dishs and cultures.

#23 Boylobster

Boylobster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

Shore is 'purty.... huh.... but I have a couple of quick questions, if I may. How much is "some" karo relative to the water volume? Do you measure by volume (teaspoons, etc.) or by weight? Do you measure at all, or are you just that hard? :) Also, is that just good ol' Post Office tyvek on top? Does that shit actually allow air exchange? I've tried to force air through it and it seems to be nearly impermeable... to my breath, at least. My methods are cutting-edge, so don't question my results. ;)

My LC jars with karo have thus far been only partially successful. I get great growth initially, and a blizzard of tiny myc fragments ensues. Unfortunately, the blizzard is about all I seem to get; growth stalls before becoming delightfully clumpy. I've used precisely 4% karo by weight, but now I wonder if a lack of air exchange is a factor. Hm.

Thanks again for the videos; inspiration is always helpful. :)

#24 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:05 AM

Shore is 'purty.... huh.... but I have a couple of quick questions, if I may. How much is "some" karo relative to the water volume? Do you measure by volume (teaspoons, etc.) or by weight? Do you measure at all, or are you just that hard? :) Also, is that just good ol' Post Office tyvek on top? Does that shit actually allow air exchange? I've tried to force air through it and it seems to be nearly impermeable... to my breath, at least. My methods are cutting-edge, so don't question my results. ;)

My LC jars with karo have thus far been only partially successful. I get great growth initially, and a blizzard of tiny myc fragments ensues. Unfortunately, the blizzard is about all I seem to get; growth stalls before becoming delightfully clumpy. I've used precisely 4% karo by weight, but now I wonder if a lack of air exchange is a factor. Hm.

Thanks again for the videos; inspiration is always helpful. :)

I do not measure, I just put a decent amount in the bottom of the jar so it covers the bottom, but not a ton. Then I stir it up to dissolve.

Dats the tyvec. It's very very very fine... will let air, but not contams... I find it necessary to leave some air space up top for the mycelium and culture to use. But, I also tape up part of the top cuz otherwise it would evap and dry out on me to fast.

#25 Boylobster

Boylobster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

Noted and appreciated. No measurement... so you *are* just that bad, huh? ;) I knew it. Soon, I shall be ninja as well.

#26 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:58 PM

Noted and appreciated. No measurement... so you *are* just that bad, huh? ;) I knew it. Soon, I shall be ninja as well.

I follow my gut/instincts when growing anything. Guess I just have a green and blue thumb and adapt/adjust to get things to go well for me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!