Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:46 AM

yeah, that much i knew but still...

#22 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

On 03/28, FOAF re-innocced overheated mycobag with B+, Redboy and Tex multispore, and on 04/04 signs of new myc growth were observed.

#23 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:06 PM

Just curious why you would inject spores from different cubies into the same bag? From what I've heard, the chances of them battling it out and leaving only the strongest kind, in a weakened state are fairly good. Correct me if I'm wrong? I could be talkin outta my ass, as I'm known to do.

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

you're wrong, talking out yer ass.
it's a myth, they don't slug it out.

#25 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:36 PM

Thanks for that. It helps when I can put down any myths I was holding on to. A few years ago, I tried putting spores from two different kinds in the same cakes, thinking they would create some whole new breed. The whole experiment ended badly, but then, I had no idea what I was doing back then.

#26 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

FOAF thought it was a problem also, and then read some posts at the shroomstery that FOAF can't locate right now and that dispelled the myth and went something like (please correct FOAF, if the crack is talking):

1. Even within one strain, there are multiple substrains, so that when multispore is used, one can have thousands of different substrains in a given flush. Lots of smart folks spend a lot of time isolating the best substrains from a given strain for better genetics and resulting flushes.

2. Different strains are not likely to mate, even when all strains are from the same species.

3. Mixing two multispore strains from the same species just results in multiple different sub-strains of the two respective strains co-habitating on the same substrate and fruiting as is usual with just one strain.

#27 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:23 PM

pretty much correct,
although the likelihood of mating
is debatable since no DNA analysis gets done.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!