Fisana

- - - - -

Any Advice would be Awesome

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_magic_*

Guest_magic_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 06:53 PM

Ive been doin the PF (BRF) Tek for about a year and just recently have been doing casing w/ moisten vermiculite layerd bottom and top. Casing does seem to be the way to go in light of all the supporting evidence posted here but Ive got a problem w/ stunted growth. I have 2 ice-cram pales used for casings and both pails are inside a rubbermaid tote w/ moisten pearlite 1 inch on the bottom. I keep the inside of the tote humidified via a cool mist system and fan it 3 or more times a day (Also about 4 to 5 hours flourecent light per day). At first all seemed well with about 2 to 3 good sized magics sprouting up then I noticed that there was water pooling in the bottom of the tote wich I extracted... also I sucked out water accumulation from the bottom of the then bottom waterlogged ice-cream pail casing containers. I then forked up the top layer of the casing into the mycelium layer for airation. Its been a lot of days now and nothing.... it all still smells sweet and clean (just like apples kinda) but no growth none notta zip.... With a read of this post of mine can anyone give me some info as to what is wrong or if there is anything I can do to get better and quicker flushing.... I am patient of course but a little troubled with my methods even though aceptic methods are primo....

Please help me. Posted Image

#2 Guest_bdog_*

Guest_bdog_*

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

the sweet apple smell may be bacteria. with casings you need between 70 to 82% humidity. its probably too humid in there. use either a smaller amount of perlite and no cool mist or use the coolmist on a low setting that won't give you more than 82% or so

#3 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 10:51 PM

Ditch the cool mist and use the perlite for humidification. 1/2 an inch of perlite, with no standing water, is all you need for a tub. Use a spray bottle and mist the sides of the tub after you give it a good fanning, a few times a day. This will replenish the evaporated H20 and bring the humidity back up after the fanning. You can spray a fine mist, 1 or 2 shots, a couple of feet above your casings if you think the vermiculite layer is drying out. Bacteria certainly could be the sweet apple smell you've got. I know your casings are already jam packed with moisture, but it might not be a bad idea to give them a dunk in a bleach solution to render the bacteria.

#4 fender

fender

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:21 PM

i have never had luck with humidifers.
and you may have messed up by 'scratching the surface'.
The smell you have explained is not normal w/ a casing.
If a contam. has marched in, scratching will only spread the contam.
Also if contam. is thought to exist, watering is BAD Stop all misting.

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

Yeah, don't mist the casings anymore at all. You've already explained that you have drawn water out of the ice cream tubs. When i mentioned misting casings, i meant from a fresh start. Dunk the casings in a pretty strong bleach solution, lets say a 1/8 cup for 2-3 gallons of water, for an hour or 2. Then drain the casings well and then re case with casing of choice. If you do this, it will liven back up if it hasn't been through to many flushes.

(Message edited by looper on February 13, 2005)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!