#1 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

This is my first attempt at woodlovers. I soaked the alder chips for 24 hours drained and then pasturized in a pillowcase at 155 degrees F for 1 hour. Rinsed well and drained then stuffed into clean food-savers bag fitted with pollyfill filters.The tape in the bottom right corner is where I put tape over the water drain hole (to remove excess moisture)

The LC is my second attempt. First try was ruined by lack of air I believe and mabye carmelized sugars. This time I used a brand new distilled water bottle. I poured the contents into another clean bottle. To 1000 mils of distilled water I added 5 teaspoons of Karo and 2 teaspoon Light Malt Powder for a total of 7 teaspoons sugars to 1000 mils water. Next I shook up this mixture with the cap on and then poured it through a coffee filter in a funnel back into the original bottle. I put a pollyfill cap with a large hole in the bottle cap. I added 2 clean marbles.

I can't really shake the bottle with the pollyfill lid on so when I want to shake it I take it into the glovebox and replace the polly lid with the orginal cap, shake, then replace the polyfill lid.

I have the bag and the LC bottle on the floor where the tempsa are about 73 ish. I have read that P. Cyans needs cooler temps through inncubation. Does this sound right??? Anyone ??

Attached Thumbnails

• cyan.JPG

#2 Mycorama

Mycorama

Fungitarian

• Expired Member
  • 640 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

yes you will need much lower tempatures to inncubate or fruit cyans or azures.
more like 50ish degrees then 70.

you didnt need to pasturize the woodchips either, but i dont think it will hurt.
keep the pics coming, il be stoppin in to check em out.

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:18 PM

Colonizing at room temp is ideal, only the fruiting stage requires cooler conditions..

#4 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

I'm confused, sorry. What are you trying to do? Put the LC onto the past. woodchips? Maybe I misread? Anyhow, throw your past. chips in the freezer or something for now. Put that LC into some pf cakes or some hybrid wood/pf type cakes. Check out waylits woodlover tek. Its in the Vaults. When they are colonized, you spawn that to the chips.

Try keeping the lid switching to a minimum, imo. All the more chances to contam.

#5 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:27 PM

Bobcat I was saying that my first cyans LC went bad. Then I started a new batch with proper air-exchange via pollyfill in the bottle cap (decent sized hole in the cap). Injected the cyans into the bottle inside the glovebox.

#6 Godflesh

Godflesh

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 628 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

Way to much suger, IMO. Three teaspoons is plenty per 1000ml. H2O! You are more like preserving your spores than feeding.:rasta:

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:33 PM

Thanks rodeye , ive been trying to get the proportions of sugar to water straight. I know its suppose to be 4 - 6 % but opinions seem to vary. I was seeing one tablespoon per 100 mil of water for cubes. Waylitjim stated a number lower than that for woodlovers. Dang it now i'm out of Cyans spores. Oh well I was meaning to order some off the good captain anyways...

Just to go over that agin I used 5 tablespoons karo and 2 tablespoons light malt powder in 1000 mils of alder soak water. 7 tbs in 1000 is too many eh?? What would you say is ideal in 1000 mils water for woodlovers???

thanks in advance

H

#8 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Oh, I see now.... ;)

You want about 4 tablespoons for 1000 ml. If it helps to remember, you can do a rule of thumb: 1 tblspn per cup of water. 1000 ml is close enough to 4 cups. You might be okay tho.

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

Gracias !

I hope that the blend I did catches on. If not I know better for next time. What do you think about karo mixed with light malt powder (filtered) ??? Come to think of it I used 5 tsp karo to 2 skimpy tsp malt powder. Still likely too much sugars...

Again Thanks

H

#10 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:50 AM

No, because you used TEASPOONS right? There are three teaspoons in a TABLESPOON. Dunno off the top of my head what the ml conversion would be... but basically you could have used up to 4 tablespoons but you only used 2 tblspns plus 1 tspn. So your on the light side. But you were adding this to alder soak water so you should be okay. In fact, maybe better off. I dunno. Better to be light on sugar than heavy!!!!! Some people prolly think a tablespoon to a cup of water is a bit heavy. But its done well for me.

Your mix sounds great. A varied sugar source. Should perform well.

#11 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Bobcat.

I appreciate the comments. I did find the whole TSP vs TBL spoon ratio confusing but I think i've got it sorted now. The main diference in my LCV this time is that I have a large hole in the bottle cap stuffed with pollyfill. THis is allowing the LC to breathe way more than my last endevour which had 2 taped holes. The water bottle I used was clean and brand new.

I'm guessing that everything with P. CYans takes a bit longer than other species like cubies, so i'm trying not keep checking everyday for sign of life. One of these times i'm hoping to see the tell-tale signs of mycelium growth.

Cheesr & Thanks

H

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!