Photo
- - - - -

Making My 1st Beer

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Dipole_*

Guest_Dipole_*

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

StroFun, I could email a zip file of the installer if you like. It is around 4meg, I think.

#62 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Tried one of mine today too...It's an english bitter!!! It's really good. I will be making methglin next.

#63 Guest_Dipole_*

Guest_Dipole_*

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

Congrats making a good brew out of the gate too.:bow:

I never made a mead. Do you have a supply of honey that is not too expensive? What spices will you use? I wonder if meads need yeast nutrients.

#64 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:31 PM

I will be picking up some honey at Sam's Club bulk/wholesale. I will need to order some yeast extract and champaigne yeast as well. I will be using cactus pears in an open fermentation first to make the cactus pear mead. It's 15 pounds of honey for about 12.00...will be using 30 lbs for a five gallon batch.

#65 Guest_Dipole_*

Guest_Dipole_*

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:49 PM

30lb for 5gal sounds like too much. Are you sure about that? I just looked up a mead kit on William's Brewing site. A 5 gal batch needs 12-14lb of honey.

#66 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:55 PM

Yes my bad it's actually 15lbs will keep you posted.

#67 HaiLeY

HaiLeY

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:46 AM

Home brewing is fun www.homebrewandbeer.com has a decent brewing forum and recipes :)

#68 strangegem23

strangegem23

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:01 AM

Yes my bad it's actually 15lbs will keep you posted.

That should be a good ratio. IME, I would avoid champaign yeast if you want to preserve your delicate fruit characteristics (especially with a fruit like cactus pears). Champaign yeast leaves a very neutral, sometimes cardboardy flavor profile. One yeast that has not failed me in terms of producing a flavorful melomel is Lalvin 71B-1122 (see this link). It is availalbe in many homebrewing stores.

How much fruit are you using? And, I don't think cactus pears have much acidity- perhaps adjust the ph with citrus juice or a brewers acid blend?

#69 strangegem23

strangegem23

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

Oh yeah, an additional thing you can do (if you're going to do some moderate aging) is to add toasted oak chips to the secondary after most of the fermentation has subsided. The oak adds additional complexity that will take your brew from very good to fantastic and simulates barrel aging.

#70 Guest_Dipole_*

Guest_Dipole_*

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

That would be fun to try out. I would have added oak when I was lagering a brew, alas they were not available when I was brewing.

I knew a brewer who was getting off on using peat smoked malt. He liked it, I thought it sucked. There are so many specialty ingredients available these days.

Be careful with the acidity, it isn't beer, but you don't want it too acidic. Wine makers would recommend tartaric acid, but I don't know how tart a mead should be.

#71 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:23 PM

What ever happened to you brewers out there? Did too much beer give you a bad hangover?:lol:

#72 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,017 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2007 - 07:11 AM

This is what I use to bottle my beer... makes professional seals. Lots better than the swing tops...

http://www.mrbeer.co...=4&subactive=-1

enjoy.

#73 Dipole

Dipole

Legalize Cannabis

• OG VIP
  • 3,288 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

Hi Suckerfree,

Will it put crown caps on twist off bottles without too much technique?

#74 camMyco

camMyco

Modified Honey

• Expired Member
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

This is what I use to bottle my beer... makes professional seals. Lots better than the swing tops...

http://www.mrbeer.co...=4&subactive=-1

enjoy.

Great capper it is the one I have used for the past eleven years!

do not use twist off bottles. they are thinner glass and don't seal well.

#75 bigdanob

bigdanob

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:24 PM

I know Im getting on the bus late with this post, but I made a great clove IPA a few years ago. Just use an IPA recipe that suits your fancy and drop in 2 tiny ass cloves (crushed) in your ferment bucket before you close it. Thats all you need and you get a lot of taste. Compliments the hops well too.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!