• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 weed4all

weed4all

Cosmic Traveler

• Expired Member
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

my first batch of kombucha is almost ready :headbang:. anyone have any tips on bottling? i've heard the bottles can explode from all the co2 and that would suck. any help appreciated

#2 strangegem23

strangegem23

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:46 PM

No experience making kombucha, but from dealing with homebrew, I would suggest getting the grolsch type bottles with the swing top, or failing that, champaign bottles and plastic 'mushroom type' stoppers with metal wires. These bottles are designed to handle pressure, so they should work. And they can be recycled again and again. Or you could probably recycle some regular beer bottles. Avoid 'normal' glass that isn't designed to take pressure if you want to steer clear of 'bottle bombs'.

Also, empty plastic two-liters will work, but if you're going to store them for any length of time, oxidation will make your product taste funny. And plastic sometime allows off-flavors from your fridge through too.

How did it turn out?

#3 weed4all

weed4all

Cosmic Traveler

• Expired Member
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

thx for the advice. it tastes verrry different from what i originally thought but it's not too bad. makes me pee like crazy tho lol.:lol:

#4 strangegem23

strangegem23

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 205 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:17 PM

I'd like to try this myself sometime. Can you start a batch by letting wild bacteria and yeasts colonize, or do you have to purchase a starter?

#5 weed4all

weed4all

Cosmic Traveler

• Expired Member
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

not too sure if you can culture it on your own but you can purchase a starter kit with culture and 1/2 cup tea on ebay for 7-9$ US. it's well worth it, i got a new culture from this batch and gave it to my parents. i'm pretty sure they keep reproducing every batch too. i suggest everyone to pick one up.:rasta:

#6 camo

camo

kombucha mushroom people

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

ive never posted here..and ive been on this site for like three or for years_but rock on on the shrrom tea bra..and make shure you dont drink to much..maybe like 2 quarts a month its an antibacterial..so read up and take the tea to heart..at least thats what one of my gurus said years ago..peace to all of you topiatesha

#7 camo

camo

kombucha mushroom people

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

sorry my brain dead head forgot to say somthin about bottling...im 100 percent shure if you wash a good good jar or the likes from the other post..and keep it friged/chilled youll be straight for months to come..just dont drink it like gatoraide peace

#8 Machinamentum

Machinamentum

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:33 AM

Grolsch bottles work great but even better 2L soda bottle works the best.. Depends on how much you make. After a while it's easy to find your self with too much!

If you want to start your own batch from scratch an old shaman man once told me that you can grow it with just tea and sugur (back and green) but you have to make sure that the tea still has all the micro org's that are in the leafs, so i gues you could grow your own tea. I guess the mass produced tea is radiated. And just grow it as normal (it takes a little longer to get a shroom), once the bacteria starts to form strings slowly add a warm mix of tea and sugar about 1/4 of the batch.

Oh and you can drink all the tea you want a day. You just have to work your way up. You can start out with 6-8 ounces a day depends on how strong the tea is. I dont know about all kombtea's but mine comes out at about a ph of 1.7-2 so if you can handle the acid. Btw i've been drinking it for years home grown and store bought it's better than good for you! :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!