• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rtype

rtype

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

so as i am writing this my back is killinggg me! whoever said making a straw log was easy, took me nearly over a good two hours. not even including the clean up!! what a big headache and messed this has caused :thumbdown: . but anyways hope its worth it and props to rev cuz he motivated me in his pdf file, hippie for posting it and sporeworks for their PE spores. hope they do well :loveeyes:
so the last pic is the logs i made :eusa_clap, i initially planned on making a 28" log, 8" in diameter. then i said to hell with one large might as well make two 14" logs incase they get contaminated so then i dont have to chuck away everything. i wasn't able to even it out to nicely, one ended up as 16" and the other ended up 12" as you can see -_- lol. oh well :mistrust:. my back still hurts so i haven't been poking those holes for them yet, ill do that after this post. but continuing, i used 4 quarts of popcorn, decided to mix them with some left over coir then use as spawn. the left over coir were from the trays that are in those other pictures, made those 2 days ago. those trays are 1 quart of popcorn and the other is with 1 of hippie's rye mycobag. waiting for top to fully colonize then perhaps putting a thin layer of verm on top.
i must say, im fairly new but mycelium rips through popcorn so much faster than rye. one of hippie's bag colonized faster than the others so i used g2g to popcorn, and DAMN popcorn finished colonizing while the other bags are still just about there. (as you can see popcorn used in tray and in the 2 logs)
and just IMO, now that ive tried using quart jars and mycobags, i must say bags are much more of a hassle. inflating and deflating the bags for FAE, nonetheless alot of condensation seems to build up on the walls of bags that starts to cause wet spots. already chucked away half of them because of that.
ps. not that your mycobags sucked hip, they are what got me started :headbang:. just mycobags in general lol:bow:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00086.JPG
  • DSC00090.JPG
  • DSC00089.JPG
  • DSC00088.JPG

#2 rtype

rtype

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:41 AM

so i wanted to preview my post and i accidentally clicked on submit, but then quickly clicked on preview. thought that worked but i accidentally double posted. how do i delete that other one -_-

#3 rtype

rtype

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:49 AM

you'll probably see rye and popcorn on top in those trays. its about 1" of coir on bottom, then substrate, then another 3/4" of coir on top and some remaining substrate on top to help colonize the top faster. i copied this from someone from a post i read, but forgot who. so sorry if i cannot give credit to you i apologize.

#4 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:36 AM

Ya there is a little work to building a log, but look on the bright side- all the work is done and it's pretty much neglect from here on out.
PE's get pretty fat grown on straw.
Best of luck to you on this!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00165.JPG

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 11,666 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:12 AM

Switching from the PF tek jars up to grain or bulk substrate for growing brings an exponential increase in labor and time. Fortunately, it also brings an exponential increase in output, if it works.

Trying any tek for the first time will take much longer to complete than after having made several attempts. This is just because you already know all the steps involved and can have things arranged for optimal efficiency of time and labor. You know exactly how much counter space to clear off, how much less water to use in the substrate this time (or some similar detail), exactly what tools you need (so you don't waste time running around looking for a certain bowl or something), etc...

Basically, it means growing mushrooms from bulk substrates is primarily a management challenge. Sterile tissue culture work is a different skill set than coordinating all the ingredients, tools, assembly, pasteurization/sterilization, inoculation and incubation of a lot of mass at once while maintaining certain environmental conditions (not to mention cleanup). It's hard work, especially constrained inside a house (and apartments....ouch!). Thinking through every step helps avoid residential gridlock as all the stuff fills your kitchen and you can't even get to the fridge to make a sandwich until it's all cleaned up.

So, experience combined with thoughtful planning will cut a lot of time off the process. It's like having all the elements of a complicated dinner finish cooking at exactly the same time; it can only happen by planning ahead, based on experience. So don't walk away from a proven method until you've given it several good tries, or realize it's not practically doable within the space you have.

And plastic folding tables, about 4'X4', are awesome temporary work surfaces...just a tip...

#6 rtype

rtype

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

lol, man that does sound awfully correct. i wish i wouldve seen that tip before i stared. i was running up and down looking for things.

to rev, those are some funky looking ones they almost look like carrots:cool:.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!