Antibacterial Grain Soak Experiment
Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:26 PM
My first experiment looks promising.
What I did was put some rye berries in a container and filled it with water, and squeezed in an unmeasured amount of Sunlight antibacterial soap (not sure how much really, but it was a good squirt, enough that I thought there was no way in hell that mycelium would want anything to do with the grains) stirred it up real good and put the lid on the container and let it sit for 24 hours. Then I poured the soapy rye berries into a strainer and tossed them around a bit to drain them. Loaded a quart jar with the soapy rye berries, put on a lid with polyfil, covered with tinfoil and put it in a pot with a couple paper towels on the bottom. I then put enough water in the pot to bring the water level up to cover 2/3rds of the jar. I brought the water to a boil and turn the heat down enough so it was a slow boil, put a lid on the pot and let it go for an hour and a half. The next day I inoculated the grain with an LC I had and that jar is growing healthy myc with no sign of contams.
The idea behind this is that the soap will kill bacteria and any endospores will be hatched into a world of hurt. They won't have enough time on this planet to know they even existed, let alone fuck up my grain. And mycelium doesn't seem to be affected by it, not at all, not even at a high concentration.
So far I am having 100% success, but that was only one jar.
So the experiment continues...
10 cups of rye
150 mills of soap. It's a lot, I know, and I don't know if this much is needed, but what I do know is that it wont hurt the myc.
Filled with water and stirred up real good
And it will sit like this till tomorrow night.
I plan on loading these jars and steaming them the same way I did with the first jar. I want to see if I can do this with good results consistantly. Some of the jars will be inoculated with spores to see if spores will germinate in the soapy rye. The rest with an LC .
The soap may also make for a nice addition to an LC . We will see.
Wish me luck.
- Henrysailo likes this
Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:50 PM
Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:02 PM
A way for no pc'ing of grains is always a goal.
Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:10 PM
I would love to see a popcorn and wbs grower jump in on this too. Somone who could afford the risk of failure, of coarse.
Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:18 PM
like the pics to, keep up the good work
Posted 03 April 2007 - 07:45 PM
Are you going to try any other grains? Or just rye? I think popcorn won't have the success as rye or wbs simply because it does take more to hydrate and sterilize popcorn imo.
Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:46 PM
Dumped into a colander and drained. Bubbly eh hehe:)
Without rinsing them off, they go straight into the jars wet and bubbly.
Polyfil lids put on.
Covered with tinfoil and in the stockpot with a cloth on the bottom and water brought up 2/3rds of the way up the jars.
For lack of another pot tall enough, the rest of the jars go in my pc and will also be steamed. The rocker will be left off so no pressure builds inside.
Brought to a boil, lid on the pot, reduced heat to a slow boil, and this is where they will stay for an hour and a half.
Tomorrow they get knocked up...
Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:48 PM
Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:59 PM
Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:02 PM
Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:04 PM
good thing i asked eh ?
the antibacterial soap i have here has triclosan
so this experiment will be
narrowed into only certain types of soap.
Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:12 PM
I would try it with another kind of soap if I had it here, but this is what I have and it worked the first time.
Posted 04 April 2007 - 07:23 PM
Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:33 PM
Now the waiting
Popcorn has been soaking for a day and a half now, think I'll leave it till tomorrow to soak up some more water.
Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:43 PM
Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:33 PM
Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:56 AM
Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:20 AM
yeah, i can't wait to see how the fruits turn out..
Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:47 AM
Two of the jars from the second batch that were knocked up with an lc less then 3 full days ago are showing new growth. Thats on par with what I would see with the traditional way I would prep my rye berries.
The jar inoculated with spores has not yet shown signs of growth, but thats normal. Hoping to see germination in a couple days.
I'm new at popcorn. I soaked for 48 hours in soapy water and loaded them into a jar while they were wet. They were still rock hard after the soak, but I thought the steaming would soften them up and force the wextra water into them. That didn't work lol, so I scrapped them. Yesturday I simmered some popcorn in a pot on low heat with soapy water till they softened up a little and loaded them into a jar wet and steamed for an hour and a half. they will be inoculated sometime today.
Posted 08 April 2007 - 07:48 AM