Antibacterial Grain Soak Experiment
Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:50 PM
all soaps i've found have been triclosan - but my face wash is salicyic acid, 2%. I remember seeing the other day one that was a lot higher, i believe 7? in the pharmacy.
granted clearisil 'ultra' and whatever that other stuff was were more expensive than dish soap - maybe the higher % would let it work just as well. I reviewed the initial page and it seems like rev said his soap was only .05%
Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:41 AM
I would also encourage you to test it out on one jar, just to see how it works.
Another, more tried and true method of preparing grains without a pc , is fractional sterilization.
Here's a GREAT thread on it-
Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:52 PM
Although spore germination was unwanted in this particular case, something that encourages spore germination could be a vary useful tek in a lot of mycological areas. More info in this area would be very interesting.
I tried it in my syringes once, and it did work to reduce clumping, but when I posted a question about if there were any drawbacks to this Hip pointed out that it encourages the spores to sprout inside the syringe. I checked on mine after reading that and I could see tiny wispy strands of mycelium floating around, so I don't use jetdry in my syringes now (I only did it once, fortunately). I was really surprised that it encouraged sprouting; I hardly think it's some kind of nutrient, but apparently it seems like one to spores.
Dont wish to throw the thread too far off topic but as the subject had come up, I just wanted to point out something that could be very useful tek.
Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:35 PM
Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:50 AM
(SA SOURCE: CLEARISIL ULTRA DAILY FACE WASH 2% SA) smells so fresh and so clean lol
cooking times were 1min+shake+3min for big and 1:30 straight thru for small
small was old gt sporesyr that had germed, big a bht lc.
SA also used in quarts, wbs and popcorn. These being second grain attempts FOAF made. One batch pc'd an hour, the other 45 min - mixed subs/sa-nonsa in each batch to make it fair.
things still progressing but seems like only the SA jars in the 45 minute pc run are hot.
makes ya wonder if grains could be pcd significantly shorter times if sa added.. more people please experiment with this if you have time.
Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:04 PM
I used to go by the name thebaldingeagle, but I'm not balding anymore, so I changed my screen name to reflect my current status. Anyway, Ive been following this thread for a while with great interest. I have not been able to locate sunlight dish soap either.
Today in walmart I found something called Equate deep cleaning astringent. Equate is some sort of generic name ( walmarts, I think). Anyways, its 2% salicylic acid and an
8 ounce bottle was $2.08. I hope this helps some of you out there. It was in the pharmacy area with skin cleaners.
I've been thinking about pouring the bottle of this stuff into 4 gallons of water and loading jars with WBS and this mixture, letting it sit for 24 hours, then placing the jars in the OVEN at 200 degrees for 2 hours. The benefit being that an oven will hold more than 14 jars and if it works, you wont need a pressure cooker. I have 4 large pressure cookers, but I think this may greatly reduce the overall time it takes to sterilize say 4 dozen jars. You could also leave the house for more than a couple of minutes, if need be. I'll start this project on saturday and keep you posted. If it works, it would be useful for bags as well with some modification. What do you think?
Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:24 PM
Seems like dry heating options are often shot down due to water content. I'd reccomend trying many jars with varying tactics - say grains steamed to content, added to jar, whatever varying amt of SA added, then cooked - or grains steamed with SA in the simmering water, or dry grains with a cup or half cup or whatever of water and SA.. etc.
Let us know what you find. I have another thread about 15 below this in same section "fungi:growing edible..etc" re: sa that you might find interesting, and one right below this one regarding peroxide.
Lets get this shit down pat.
Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:30 PM
Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:28 AM
Don't use asprin on your female weed plants, I have heard it can change the sex.
hmm, got an evidence / documentation ?
i've used birth control pills in my water a few times
Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:37 PM
I don't really know where the temp got but it was at least 190 degrees for an hour and a half.
This was after letting them soak in a solution of salcylic acid for 24 hours. When I got home, 8 hours after the oven shut off, the control jar read 120 degrees and shaking them was still easy. The oven held the heat well. Anyways Rev, it don't look like this thread is going to die anytime soon.
I'll keep ya posted.
Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:05 PM
should start seeing something in @ 3 days. If all goes well, I'll have good news and pics.
Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:29 AM
I hope it works for you.
Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:46 PM
did not work, I do not plan on trying it again anytime soon!