Posted 15 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

Oooooooh

#283 hour

hour

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

I had read the thread initially back in the day and figured if I ever stepped up to grains I'd just get a larger PC.. ended up having to replace that one and wanted a 16qt from wally but only thing available locally were the 6qt prestos - currently fit 8 tall hpints (3 laying ontop of 5) or 8 wide hpints - SO i'm back in to reading about this.

all soaps i've found have been triclosan - but my face wash is salicyic acid, 2%. I remember seeing the other day one that was a lot higher, i believe 7? in the pharmacy.

granted clearisil 'ultra' and whatever that other stuff was were more expensive than dish soap - maybe the higher % would let it work just as well. I reviewed the initial page and it seems like rev said his soap was only .05%

#284 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

It would be interesting to see if it worked for you hour, because this soap doesn't appear to be easily attainable for a lot of folks. If whatever you chose to try is expensive than you should also consider that in the long run you'd probably save money by having a PC shipped to you. If you can't find one locally.

I would also encourage you to test it out on one jar, just to see how it works.

Another, more tried and true method of preparing grains without a pc , is fractional sterilization.

Here's a GREAT thread on it-

http://mycotopia.net...ure-cooker.html

#285 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 08:52 PM

I tried it in my syringes once, and it did work to reduce clumping, but when I posted a question about if there were any drawbacks to this Hip pointed out that it encourages the spores to sprout inside the syringe. I checked on mine after reading that and I could see tiny wispy strands of mycelium floating around, so I don't use jetdry in my syringes now (I only did it once, fortunately). I was really surprised that it encouraged sprouting; I hardly think it's some kind of nutrient, but apparently it seems like one to spores.

Although spore germination was unwanted in this particular case, something that encourages spore germination could be a vary useful tek in a lot of mycological areas. More info in this area would be very interesting.

Dont wish to throw the thread too far off topic but as the subject had come up, I just wanted to point out something that could be very useful tek.

#286 SMoKe

SMoKe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

Gah! i just went to 7 store's and know one has the soap that has salicylic acid in it , maybe hippie should start selling it? :rasta:

#287 hour

hour

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:50 AM

foaf states hes had good experiences with SA and grains. never done grains before, ever, and actually successfully produced two fully colonized tupperwares of popcorn through simmering corn and adding SA towards end of simmer - the corn was loaded into pp5 containers with a pinch of verm - one container large, one faht jar style.

(SA SOURCE: CLEARISIL ULTRA DAILY FACE WASH 2% SA) smells so fresh and so clean lol

cooking times were 1min+shake+3min for big and 1:30 straight thru for small

small was old gt sporesyr that had germed, big a bht lc.

http://mycotopia.net...html#post437106

SA also used in quarts, wbs and popcorn. These being second grain attempts FOAF made. One batch pc'd an hour, the other 45 min - mixed subs/sa-nonsa in each batch to make it fair.

things still progressing but seems like only the SA jars in the 45 minute pc run are hot.

makes ya wonder if grains could be pcd significantly shorter times if sa added.. more people please experiment with this if you have time.

#288 thebaldingeagle

thebaldingeagle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I used to go by the name thebaldingeagle, but I'm not balding anymore, so I changed my screen name to reflect my current status. Anyway, Ive been following this thread for a while with great interest. I have not been able to locate sunlight dish soap either.
Today in walmart I found something called Equate deep cleaning astringent. Equate is some sort of generic name ( walmarts, I think). Anyways, its 2% salicylic acid and an
8 ounce bottle was $2.08. I hope this helps some of you out there. It was in the pharmacy area with skin cleaners.

I've been thinking about pouring the bottle of this stuff into 4 gallons of water and loading jars with WBS and this mixture, letting it sit for 24 hours, then placing the jars in the OVEN at 200 degrees for 2 hours. The benefit being that an oven will hold more than 14 jars and if it works, you wont need a pressure cooker. I have 4 large pressure cookers, but I think this may greatly reduce the overall time it takes to sterilize say 4 dozen jars. You could also leave the house for more than a couple of minutes, if need be. I'll start this project on saturday and keep you posted. If it works, it would be useful for bags as well with some modification. What do you think?

#289 hour

hour

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:24 PM

Good call, i'm trying similar things currently - I highly advise testing out the equate stuff you got, similar to my clearisil 2% SA.

Seems like dry heating options are often shot down due to water content. I'd reccomend trying many jars with varying tactics - say grains steamed to content, added to jar, whatever varying amt of SA added, then cooked - or grains steamed with SA in the simmering water, or dry grains with a cup or half cup or whatever of water and SA.. etc.

Let us know what you find. I have another thread about 15 below this in same section "fungi:growing edible..etc" re: sa that you might find interesting, and one right below this one regarding peroxide.

Lets get this shit down pat.

#290 HepacatBioclass100

HepacatBioclass100

By Hand

• Expired Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

Good Job once again Hippie3. Asprin is a growth hormone used in conjunction with others to produce those very large Veggies. Don't use asprin on your female weed plants, I have heard it can change the sex. Peace

#291 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:28 AM

Don't use asprin on your female weed plants, I have heard it can change the sex.

hmm, got an evidence / documentation ?
i've used birth control pills in my water a few times
[progesterone]

#292 thebaldingeagle

thebaldingeagle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:37 PM

Well I baked 12 jars in the oven today. moisture appears to be right. 200 degrees for 4 1/2 hours. (the time and temp need tweeked.) Anyways, I'll innoculate monday with agar and let you guys know how it works out. I'll get a digital camera and start taking pics too. I put a meat thermometer in one jar and periodically checked it so I would know when the temp did, in fact, reach 200 degrees. after 3 hours, I had to go to work and the control jar was at 190, so I set the oven timer for an extra 1 1/2 hours.
I don't really know where the temp got but it was at least 190 degrees for an hour and a half.
This was after letting them soak in a solution of salcylic acid for 24 hours. When I got home, 8 hours after the oven shut off, the control jar read 120 degrees and shaking them was still easy. The oven held the heat well. Anyways Rev, it don't look like this thread is going to die anytime soon.
I'll keep ya posted.

#293 thebaldingeagle

thebaldingeagle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:05 PM

I nocc'd up 10 of the 12 jars today. The one i used to monitor temperature was not innoculated as it was opened several times during the process to check the temp. One was not innoculated as I'm using it as a control.
should start seeing something in @ 3 days. If all goes well, I'll have good news and pics.

#294 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:29 AM

I wish you luck Eagle. There has been attempts at using the oven to sterilize grains that havn't gone too well. The problem with that if I remember correctly is to get them up to pc'ing temperatures, the grains would dry out in the oven. Now at a lesser temp with the salicylic acid, it may be less of a problem.

I hope it works for you.

#295 thebaldingeagle

thebaldingeagle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:46 PM

I see some growth, but it aint looking good right now. I'll let ya' know in a couple days. Looks like the grain might have to be steeped, drained, put in jars and the baked. I dont really think that, if all this is needed the sterilize grain, its worth the trouble. I mean, hell, Ive got PC's

UPDATE 11/21/07

did not work, I do not plan on trying it again anytime soon!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!