• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#61 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

Very nice Rev! I've been watchin this thread since its beginning.

Interesting, very interesting.

#62 shroomatt

shroomatt

Forgastacator

• Expired Member
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

I'm wondering about the other 99.95% inert ingredients and any effects they may have. Some may break down at temps higher than 220 and might leave some residues.

#63 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,313 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

Jeezus. Great thread, Rev.

If no one else takes on the WBS I will break it out. I have a few prints of B+ that I can devote to this and WBS is cheap here.

Do you mind if I post my findings on this thread Rev?

#64 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:25 PM

That would be great Mushit.

#65 doinitagain

doinitagain

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:46 AM

i will be trying this out with popcorn this week just gotta get the right soap, mine has triclosan(palmolive)

#66 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

Well Rev , I'm liking your experiment..:bow:.Along similar lines - i mixed a drop of anti bacterial soap with some peroxide in a jar and then dropped in a
young shroom for future cloning..
Let it sit for a few hours B4 splitting open and extracting some interior tissue.
I'm hoping this may help the overall cleanliness of the transfer...

Thanx for the great idea...Even plain soap may be an effective combination with heat fer beat'n up em' buggers...
  • Ukhellfire likes this

#67 squidink

squidink

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hey Rev, what brand of liquid soap are you using?

It might be useful to compile a list of brands that use salicylic acid as opposed to triclosan, to save folks time in the future (which is happening NOW). :)

:eusa_clap Great experiment! Let's hope your fruits aren't bubble-shaped and soapy tasting. hehe

#68 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Golly that is a really good idea!
I tried putting a few drops in an lc , pc'd it and when it cooled I put in some tissue. It is growing really slowly. I was going to try it again with a smaller amount, but I like your idea, that would work much better I would expect.
squidink-

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00865.JPG
  • DSC00822.JPG

#69 loochypooch

loochypooch

Heavy Metal Drummer

• Expired Member
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:38 AM

Very nice Rev! Do you think it is the acid leading to your success or some other ingredient? If its just the acid, would adding Citric acid, or even HCL to the water work? It would be nice not to have the bubbles I suspect hehe.

:bow:

#70 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 08:56 AM

i just noticed as i was bathing
that my wife's Avon acne skin wash
has 2% salicylic acid , remainder inert.
rather pricey though.

#71 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

Very nice Rev! Do you think it is the acid leading to your success or some other ingredient?

I'm not sure. I assumed it would be the antibacterial properties of the Salicylic Acid, but now Golly has me wondering if it might just be the soap.

It would be nice not to have the bubbles I suspect hehe

I like the bubbles.

i just noticed as i was bathing
that my wife's Avon acne skin wash
has 2% salicylic acid , remainder inert.
rather pricey though.

Ya, my wife has a couple skin care products with the stuff.

$1.87 for 750 mills at Wallmart in my town.

DSC00867.JPG

I picked up some bulk wbs. Put it in water and scooped out anything that floated. I soaked in soapy water for a day, strained and steamed for an hour and a half. Inoculated tonight with an lc .

DSC00866.JPG

Here is a straw nugget that was dunked overnight last week sometime in soapy water. Fruits look just fine.

DSC00840.JPG

I havn't got around to spawning the first jar yet. The rest are almost fully colonized, so I'm just going to do it all at once. I'm lazy like that.

#72 jack080247

jack080247

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

Very interesting idea. So if I understand it,there should be very little or no contaminates. Good luck and let us know your results. Peace,jack

#73 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:11 PM

A few of those fruits look strangely bulbous below the caps.

#74 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:34 AM

Verticillium.

The fruits from the first flush had it too.

#75 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:16 AM

I assumed it would be the antibacterial properties of the Salicylic Acid, but now Golly has me wondering if it might just be the soap.

That comment reminded me of how I began using regular Dawn dishsoap to clean off my WBS after simmering since it gets so slimy, mainly due to the cracked corn. I started this when I was using 100% cracked corn (which makes a lot of slime). I put the grain (still hot from simmering) into a milk crate lined with window screen, pour some soap on it, and hit it with the full blast of my garden hose, stirring it up until the slimy stuff is gone. I then mix in a few other things, put in jars, and PC for 90 minutes.

Before the soap treatment, I dealt with much more contamination, sometimes losing an entire batch of jars or bags. With the soap, contamination rates are down to usually zero (barring the occasional dirty syringe) and PC times, HEPA filter, and strain were identical.

Hard to say if it was the antibacterial action of the soap (which was not "antibacterial" per se), or the removal of the slime that encourages anaerobic conditions, or a bit of both. Seems to me that intact grain would be clean on the inside in the same way that the inner tissue of mushrooms is usually clean (clean enough to clone), and so most of the battle against bacteria takes place on the outer surface of the grain, where the soap is very effective. A side-by-side antibacterial vs. regular dishsoap comparison seems in order.

I predict, when using soap and steam but no PC, that the contamination rate will be directly proportional to the number of broken grains in the bag (and/or its age) before soaking. Fresh, clean, intact grain is probably much more important for success when not using a PC.

#76 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

Rev Trips Thanks for this innovative science experiment

I'm not sure. I assumed it would be the antibacterial properties of the Salicylic Acid, but now Golly has me wondering if it might just be the soap.

Sounds like the start for even more experiments, aspirin, vs. soap alone; maybe garlic, maybe a vinegar soak...before simmering......DMSO in combination...

My mind is ahead of the results...I look forward to your photos of the fruits...

#77 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:35 PM

Well my wbs failed:(

I'm not familiar with preparing wbs and see now that it needs to be rinsed. It isn't clean like rye or popcorn and if it isn't rinsed it is covered in a slimey residue. I should have rinsed it a fresh bowl of soapy water after the soak.

or the removal of the slime that encourages anaerobic conditions,

I think that is why this failed.

DSC00871.JPG

There is something growing in there that don't look like healthy myc to me:thumbdown:

Rye and popcorn are perfect and ready to be spawned.

#78 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Is that cracked corn in the WBS...cause i think there's a whole different set of rules for using that stuff...
I'de go for the millet based feed for ease of preparation...

#79 reverend trips

reverend trips

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Hehe ya, there is cracked corn, whole corn, some pelletized stuff that expanded and dissolved, millet, all kinds of seeds...I just scooped some shit out of a bulk bin at the co-op that said wild bird seed.

I guess I used the wrong stuff eh :lol:
:o
Shit

#80 shadowechos

shadowechos

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:22 PM

Rye and popcorn are perfect and ready to be spawned.

"It ain't over till the fat lady sings" ....it's amazing enough IMO that there is still a possibility for this to work. ...wonder how they will taste :pirate: or :puke:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!