Paradox
©
Fisana

Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Mold removal in a large grow area


  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:12 AM

Anyone want to see how it's done? I'm going to be doing it today and can show some of you if you want?

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

    DUNG DEALER

  • Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:16 AM

sure.
:cool:

here's how i'd do it...
:lol:
Posted Image

#3 fahtster

fahtster

    Mycotopiate

  • OG VIP
  • 1,713 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:21 AM

:lol: you're a lot younger than I thought, hip. whether anyone now wants to see it is probably of little matter, laz.... I'm sure it would/will be useful for those who need it in the future... I say, show us! :thumbup:

fahtster

#4 troutlips

troutlips

    VIP Moderator

  • Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:02 PM

I wanna see! I wanna see! :greenboun

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

Well, it's basic stuff really. The damn drop ceiling is gypsum based. So of course there's black and yellow mold spores everywhere. I liked to shit when I noticed it. I bet the g2g grain jars I did in my louzy glove box down there are going to be really pretty in a couple of days. :mad: I didn't even notice how bad it was until this morning.

#6 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*
  • Guest

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

I had left the window open and it rained. The area on the wall under the window grew real bad mold that I did not notice untill I moved the furniture.

I taped garbage bags over it and connected a blower to an ozone generator for a spa (a UV light inside a metal tube), let it run for a half an hour and the mold was all gone.

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

Man, that was a chore! Wait till you see this funk. :puke:

#8 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

Here's the mold. It was nearly everywhere there was a food source. The only part of the basement that didn't have mold growing was the block walls.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_3074.jpg
  • IMG_3070.jpg
  • IMG_3071.jpg
  • IMG_3069.jpg
  • IMG_3066.jpg
  • IMG_3068.jpg
  • IMG_3065.jpg
  • IMG_3063.jpg
  • IMG_3064.jpg


#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

So I removed all of the stuff in the area that couldn't be soaked in bleach and rinsed with piping hot water. I wanted to leave the stuff that could withstand the treatment so all of the mold spores that were lingering in the basement and now were sitting on them could be treated.

Then I taped the electrical sockets and switches up with duct tape so moisture wouldn't effect them or myself. :lol: If you want to kill the breakers to the area to be treated and use lighting wired from a dry source, that certainly is a good idea as well. If you do it the way I did, it works fine. Just don't soak the socket or switch areas. I even taped where the wiring goes into the boxes if moisture could get in there.

Then I put on a tyvek painters suit, goggles and a good 3M dust mask.

Then I used piping hot water for my sprayer, mixed with bleach at a ratio of 1 gallon of water/1.5cups of bleach. The hot water in the sprayer helps the solution to penetrate the pathogens better and even helps the sprayer maintain pressure as well. Then I preceded to soak the hell out of contaminated areas. I started with the walls, cabinets and stuff I left in the basement to be treated first. I soaked the hell out of the molded areas very well. Then after that, I hit the ceiling last. I allowed the solution about 3 hours to do it's thing and to dry.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_3087.jpg
  • IMG_3085.jpg
  • IMG_3076.jpg
  • IMG_3082.jpg
  • IMG_3072.jpg
  • IMG_3078.jpg
  • IMG_3080.jpg


#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

After the solution had dried, I then used my garden hose to rinse off the solution and mold. I hooked my hose up to a hot water line in the plumbing. Then I simply blasted the entire area with piping hot water (at least 150 degrees), starting at the ceiling, then down the walls, cabinets and stuff I had left in there to be treated and on to the floor. The piping hot water helps to pasteurize the mold mycelium back, giving you a better chance for success. I have a sump pump in my basement, so I simply swept the water into the hole where the pump is. :rasta:

The after the entire basement was blasted with hot water and the standing water in the floor was cleaned up as good as I could get it, I put a fan in there to circulate air so it would dry up faster.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_3090.jpg
  • IMG_3088.jpg


#11 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

Here are the nearly dried and cleaned areas.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_3096.jpg
  • IMG_3093.jpg
  • IMG_3092.jpg


#12 reverend trips

reverend trips

    Former Member

  • Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:22 PM

Then I taped the electrical sockets and switches up with duct tape so moisture wouldn't effect them or myself.

Think you missed one Laz.

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_3076.jpg


#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

:lol:

That's not a socket, it's an old alarm sensor that's dead.

#14 amnije

amnije

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:16 PM

did you remove the ceiling tiles?
With the perforations in them bad spores could be leaking down from above.

#15 reverend trips

reverend trips

    Former Member

  • Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

it's an old alarm sensor that's dead.


Thats good!

I was like WTF is that crazy bastard doing sprayin that lightswitch :lol:

Great thread Laz, you are gonna win this battle!

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

did you remove the ceiling tiles?
With the perforations in them bad spores could be leaking down from above.


Good thinking, but no I didn't. I'm putting a thin mill plastic over the entire ceiling, so I didn't need to do that. Personally if it was my house, i'd loose the entire drop ceiling. That ceiling must be rather old because the tiles are gypsum based and not synthetic. Just like drywall, but with holes in them. Gypsum is a magnet for black mold if it gets the least bit damp and isn't tended to immediately.

Something else. After I finished with everything and was on my way out to allow the basement to dry, I emptied a can of Oust in the basement as well. That should take care of a lot of the spores that went airborne during the cleansing. Now I have 4 windows (2 on each side of the basement) opened to allow FAE. Mold absolutely loves stagnant air. And stagnant air can build up moisture as well.

On a side note, my g2g jars are looking fantastic! Now that should shut up the ones that always criticized my glove box. Cough, cough.

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

Thats good!
I was like WTF is that crazy bastard doing sprayin that lightswitch :lol:
Great thread Laz, you are gonna win this battle!


Baaa haa! I was waiting for someone to point that out. I'm crazy, but not nearly that crazy.

#18 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

Shit! I thought I was done. Thankfully I called my buddy to tell him that so far everything looked nice and clean and to thank him for the advice. I have to treat the entire area again with bleached water at the same ratio and just leave it there to dry for good. Doh!

FYI, it's very important that the entire area be very dry from the hot water rinsing so the final bleach soaking can absorb into the infected areas well.

#19 Lazlo

Lazlo

    old hand

  • Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

Holly shit! That bleach solution is a lot stiffer than I thought it was. I didn't have goggles or a mask because they were trashed. So I bare backed it and now am paying the price. Ack!

Man, I should be able to perform open heart surgery in that basement now. lol

#20 reverend trips

reverend trips

    Former Member

  • Banned Member
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Ya bleach can sure irritate the lungs with that kind of exposure. Bet you are glad you are done that job!

May be an idea to run a dehumidifier if it is really moist down there, Laz.




Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!