• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:04 PM

What's the best way to clean the inside and outside of a two tier greenhouse? Can you oust the shit out of the inside and outside or is bleach, vinigar and/or alcohol better?

Trich has been an issue, and I want to make damn sure the greenhouse is contam free for some upcoming morel experiments.

Thanks in advance!

#22 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

I just use cleaners like 409, Simple Green, exc. to clean my 4 tier unit out with. I spray the hell out of the inside, then the outside and then I flip the door back to be sprayed last. Then I shut the door and allow the cleaner about 5 minutes of soaking time. Then I use a water hose to gently mist the inside of the unit with a pinch of water. I scrub each and every square inch of the inside and outside of the greenhouse with a brush. Then I simply rinse the hell out of it and allow it to dry well. I don't have mold problems in my greenhouse, but I do have mushroom spore load and bacterial problems.

If you live somewhere that concerns you of cleaning outdoors; like in apartments, townhouses, exc., stick the unit in a clean bath tub and go to town on it. lol

#23 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 10:40 PM

Thanks, sounds like The Plan!

#24 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

You know that most of the agaricus farms around these parts pasteurize their entire grow rooms for 6 hours once a month or so to prevent pathogens from exploding? I thought that was pretty cool and a necessity for sure.

My friend says they immediately rip out all wall board, panelling, exc. and then they hit the framing with bleached water. Then after the soaking, they hit the framing with diesel powered pressure washers that has 200 degree water blasting out of them! That'll get her done for got damn sure!

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:39 AM

Sweet! There's numerous leaks in the basement also. :mad:

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,736 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

To clean out my mini greenhouse, I wash it down with soap and water in my bathtub first, and rinse very well.

Then I make an approximately 15 ppm concentration of Iodophor (iodine sanitizer). This stuff is awesome, and works as a dip or a rinse. Anyhow, I use a fine mist spray bottle to spray the entire inner and outer surface of the greenhouse, letting the excess sanitizer solution run down the bathtub drain. No further rinsing is needed, put it where you want it and fill it up! I've never had trich outbreaks on my casings in greenhouses treated this way (at least after I got good at pasteurizing casing soil).

Iodophor shouldn't be mixed with a chlorine solution.

Used alone, Iodophor doesn't have the eye-watering fumes of a strong bleach solution, and tints the water dark orange. The orange color makes it easy to see where you have already sprayed, and if exposed to warm/hot water the orange instantly vanishes and the water is clear (I pour very hot water down the drain to neutralize it after I'm done cleaning). I bought a gallon three years ago and am almost halfway through it. A little goes a long way.

I have tried spraying window-sill and kitchen mold with it, but can't tell if it's effective since it does not bleach out the color of the mold (like chlorine does).

#27 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:36 PM

I have fixed a few leaky basements in my time.

sadly, you have to dig out the foundation and apply crack sealer, paint, vapor barrier and it should stop the leaks.

Digging the hole is a pain, usually I space the work out over a few days or rent a skid steer (small front end loader ) if somebody is paying me. Its alot easier if you can get 3 or four guys to work for a case of beer

#28 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:45 PM

There ain't no f'n way in the world i'm fixing the basement! He's doing it and doing it tommorrow whether he likes it or not.

I've been sweeping water out the ass all damn day and sure as hell won't do it anymore. :mad:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!