• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:24 AM

I consider this attempt a failure in progress. But I have high hopes, and some ideas to do better next time.

It seems that the rusty colored areas are expanding, though they only follow where the myc. has gone. Perhaps a symbiotic paracite? It seems that the myc. gets 'unhealthy' when the rust color starts. It isnt a mold that I can see, at first I thought it was discoloration of the paper.

I dont know if the myc. is growing through the paper, or just over the top. I mean, I have clumps of myc. living on the gro-rocks in my tank....disconnected from any cake.

Next time, I will make the following modifications:

1. use a smaller roll of paper. The recovery from cake to paper took too long and 'something' took hold before the myc. reached the edges of these 'jumbo' sized rolls.

2. Puncture the roll. I am going to drill holes all over the roll to help the myc. get through it quickly, if even only as a casing.

3. Use more water to pasterize the TP roll. I used about a liter each, but I think that could be doubled.

4. Seperate bags, dont use oven bags. Oven bags are a cool concept, but I have found them more or less worthless for MYCO work. I think one of the rolls would have been OK, but it 'caught' the nasty from the 'ho next door.

I hope to do a new one in a few weeks, but what strain? Transki?

Attached Thumbnails

• tp-004.jpg
  • tp-002.jpg
  • tp-001.jpg

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

yeah those bags dont look too healthy right there.
its not a failure if you learned something . and it seems you learned alot . look at all the new things your going to try to do to refine this. imo thats a success more than a failure. they knowledge you gain and share will be more beneficial than any mushrooms that grew.

#3 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 15 March 2005 - 02:04 PM

Thank you for trying something weird. We need more of that. You have to be willing to fail to try new things. I like that. Did you remember to remove the cardboard roll from the center of the toilet paper? That's very important in allowing your spawn to get past it and into the paper, which is mostly cotton anyway, which is one of cubes favorite foods. My bible experiments proved cubes love paper. Don't give up.

#4 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:59 AM

Yes, I removed the tube. The rolls I used were really big though. I had the 'choice' between small generic (euro-shopper) EKO TP rolls, or larger brand name 'natural' paper. I went with the larger rolls because the TP appeared to be softer/more processed. Next time I will use the smaller rolls, and 'help' process them using a power drill.

Thanks for the encouragement.

#5 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:00 AM

I think I am going to use EQ strain next. I am totally done with the smartshop strain.

#6 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:55 PM

Cool concept MNL! Got any more details on how you did this???
Inquiring minds want to know!!! ;)

#7 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:04 AM

I want add some blended/ground toilet paper to cake substrate. Perhaps to acclimate a clone before inoculating a whole roll of TP.

Should I shred/blend/ground the TP? A little of each?

Should I substitute TP for vermiculite, rice flour, or a little of both?

I see it as a food, thus a rice sub. Its probably not very nutritious, so perhaps its more like vermiculite?

Any advise or suggestions? Thank you.

#8 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

I assume you intend to grow oysters, shiitake, ps. cyan or azure (proly not), or some other wood lover but not cubie. You don't really need to do it but I don't see where it would hurt. As for what to use it as a replacement, rice is what I would think, verm just adds space for mycelia to spread.

#9 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:18 AM

are there any nutes in tp? if not then i dont see how it can replace the rice. if the tp doesnt have nutes, and then its used as a sub for rice, and you eliminate the rice, then where are the nutes going to come from?

id see it more as verm, something that retains moisture. i dont know for sure though.

#10 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:35 AM

nope, this is for cubensis.

#11 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:39 AM

I wouldn't bother, then. cubies don't grow on tp as far as I know. If you did, then yes, the tp would proly only suffice as replacement for verm but I am not sure how good of a replacement that would be.

#12 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

RR grew cubensis on a bible. I have grown cubensis on TP, albeit not without contams.

#13 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

If anyone knows, will they do on wood as well? Why is paper good for cubies if they aren't woodloving? Just curious.

#14 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

paper is highly processed, the industrial revolution did the hard work for our little friends.

#15 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:18 AM

Cakes made with ground toilet paper.

.25 cups ground toilet paper (first picture) was added to a .5 cup peat/vermiculite, .25 cups rice flour mixture (with lime). Mix was moisted to field capacity and loaded into cups.

Attached Thumbnails

• paper3.jpg
  • paper4.jpg
  • paper2.jpg
  • paper1.jpg

#16 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:34 AM

pretty cool
how do you plan on sterilizing those cups
and is that pure verm layers on the top and bottom?

#17 MNL

MNL

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:35 AM

pretty cool
how do you plan on sterilizing those cups
and is that pure verm layers on the top and bottom?

60 minutes in the steamer.

Yup: Pure verm on the top and bottom.

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

ya know
being as you're in europe 'n all,
the 'pf cake' method just might not be
the route for you to take.
not trying to discourage experimentation,
but you seem to have plenty of peat.
have you ever tried whole grains like rye
cased with peat ?

#19 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:39 PM

What do you see the virtue as of adding toilet paper to the normal brf tek?

#20 pskovinsky

pskovinsky

Ex-chat M0d of Doom, y3

• Expired Member
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:20 AM

You could grow wood-eating mushrooms on it for one, i would imagine... That could be useful...

Thats the only thing i can think of offhand though.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!