Fisana

- - - - -

Vovin's DMT extraction...

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:38 AM

MMM....Tasty...got about a gram out of 200g root bark.

#42 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

Vovin's Experimental Recrystalization
Sept 2004

*Note - This is a work in progress. This process has not been refined. This is not a tek on Recrystalization yet. I am still working on tweaking the process. Keep that in mind if you choose to follow along.

I am a fanatic about the purity of my final product. I think it is essential for health reasons to make sure that you have as pure a final result as you possibly can. Over the last few months there has been a buzz that using a recrystalization process you could grow essentially pure crystals of DMT.

If this process becomes refined I think it will be one of the biggest breakthru's in extraction. That being said this page is not a tek as of yet. It is a journal of my current experiments to refine this process. There will be alot of trial and error before I will be able to publish a complete and consice tek on how to go about this so please bear with me.

The Goal:

The theory is that when you add DMT to a hot liquid it will dissolve. Once it has dissolved and the liquid slowly becomes cooler. It will not be able to hold all of the DMT. Hotter liquids can hold larger quantities of dissolved materials than cold liquids can. So as the liquid cools the DMT will begin to form into crystals. Now one property of crystals is that they essentially consist of only one element. In this case DMT. So by heating a liquid and adding the DMT and then cooling that liquid allowing the DMT to crystalize you are growing pure DMT crystals. Thus eliminating any contaminates which will remain dissolved in the liquid. It's a good theory, as you will see theory and practice are a world apart.
*Note Click images to enlarge

Experiment 1

DMT
Naptha approx 55 ml

Well from what I know of this process there is one very good thing here. Regardless of how you do this there is very little chance of loosing the DMT. All you essentially have to do is to evap the naptha to recover your spice.

With that in mind I decided to do some experiemnting trying to figure out the ration of naptha to DMT. I want it to be barely enough naptha to dissolve all of the DMT. Too much naptha means that the DMT will not recrystalize when cooled. Too little means that the DMT will not be able to dissolve.

There is very little out there concerning recrystalization so I have decided that I would start from scratch. I took about half a gram and placed it in a small 50 ml flask. In retrospect this was too much DMT to do at one time. It barely dissolved in the naptha. The flask I used was only 50 ml. I wanted it to be as small as possible so bigger crystals would form.

Once I finally got the DMT to dissove I discovered many of the contaminates had not and they were still at the bottom of the flask. I soon came to realize that I would have to evap off all of the naptha and start over.

Once I began to pour off the liquid I seen a bottom layer of crud in the flask. I added more naptha hoping to dissolve any remaining DMT and seperate the materials that would not dissolve. I figure this crud is actually particles of dust and contaminates that have made its way into the extraction process most likely during evaporation. I was quite happy to see that the dmt looking materials dissolved but the crud stayed stuck to the bottom of the flask. Well if all else fails at least I know I can get alot of junk out of my product just re dissolving it.

Once I scraped the crud out of the flask it appeared very dark. It reminded me of the basified liquid from the extraction. I am assuming that microscopic droplets of basified liquid made it into the naptha from the extraction and was concentrated when the evap was performed. I could aslo see tiny particles that were obviously airborne dust that had made it's way in during the evap. All in all I think it is wise to perform this re dissolving process to get these impurities out before one begins recrystalization.

*Update

After awhile I decided to test a theory on this crud. I took a small quantity of distilled water ph of 7 and added this crud to it. after stirring for a few minutes I tested the PH again. It had jumped to 10. I think this is a sure sign of lye in this junk and thus this is quite likely basified solution that had gotten stuck in the naptha.

---------------------------------------
From a brief scan, this first experiment appears about the same as the one from the main tek, so I won't repost the images.

#43 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:12 PM

Experiment 2

I waited a day allowing the naptha to slowly evaporate. I didn't want to accelerate the process because I was hoping to see how many crystals I would get from a highly concentrated evap like this.

I began the process with the same DMT I evapped from experiment 1. I took away some of it because I had a really hard time getting the large amount I used last time dissolved. If I were to guess I would say I used approx 1/3 of a gram of DMT on this run.

I placed the DMT into the 50 ml flask as I did before. I then added warm naptha. I added one test tube right off and then used a dropper to add more until I had just enough to dissolve the DMT.

I then placed a piece of saran wrap on the top of the flask to prevent evaporation which could screw up my Naptha - DMT ratio. Once this was done I placed the entire flask into a pot of hot water. I let the flask sit in the water until it had become cool to the touch. Once that was accomplished I took the flask out and then let it sit for 1 hour at room temperature. Then I placed the flask into the fridge to sit again for a hour. Last I placed the flask into the freezer where I let it sit overnight.

In the morning I took the flask out of the freezer and let it sit for 45 minutes on a table. The goal here is now that crystals have begun to form that warming the solution to room temperature would dissolve the small crystals again but it would take much longer for the large crystals to redissolve. Much like placing a large cube of ice in water. It takes allot longer for a large cube of ice to melt in water than it does for a small chip of ice to dissolve.

After the 45 miutes I placed the flask back into the refigerator for 1hour then into the freezer again. At this point I came to the realization that since the DMT had crystalized on the sides there was too much naptha in the mixture. This would slow the process of crystalization since when frozen, the naptha could easily hold the remaining DMT because a good percentage of it had been removed from the solution to form the crystals.

No worries tho I decided that it was high time that I evapped some of the naptha to reset the ratio. I used a cool flow of air which I allowed to blow for 5 minutes before I put the flask back into the freezer for 20 minutes. I did this because I did not want the solution to get too warm. This would cause the crystals the begin to re-dissolve. After getting rid of around 10 ml of the naptha I placed the flask back into the freezer for a hour.

I then allowed the flask to sit on a table for another hour to warm to room temperature. After this it was placed into the refigerator for a hour and then in the freezer for 2 hours. Once I was sure it was nice and cold I removed it and poured off the naptha. I made sure this was done when the solution was as cold as possible beacuse that would be when there was as little amount as possible of DMT dissolved in the naptha.

I then allowed the flask to air dry to evap any naptha that was remaining. The crystals appeared to be quite small and formed into tiny clumps. They were very easy to remove from the sides of the flask. When removed they had the consistency of slightly wet salt. They held a grainy shape well.

1. The result after the evap. The crystals look quite pure. Since there was such a small quantity of naptha and it evaporated quickly the crystals were small. The slower the evap usually the larger the crystal formations.
2. I placed the solution into a hot pan of water to ensure that all the DMT had been dissolved. Notice that I have placed saran wrap to cover the flask that is essential as you will get allot of evaping as well as condensation in the process.
3 & 4. After removing the solution from the freezer you can see that it has turned white. As it warms you can see the small white crystals that have begun to form on the sides of the glass.
5. The final result. As you can see crystals formed in the bottom of the flask. Not nearly as big as I had hoped but they appear quite pure. BTW there is still a little naptha in the flask that I had to let evap.

Attached Thumbnails

• th_3.jpg
  • th_crystal1.jpg
  • th_crystal2.jpg
  • th_saran1.jpg
  • th_evap1.jpg

#44 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:21 PM

Vovin's tips page:

Tricks of the trade:

Here are some random tips and tricks I have learned since working on this project. I chose to place them here to make the guide less bulky.

Cleanliness is vital. Placing your liquid into a flask or funnel that has not been cleaned well will result in junk winding up in your extraction. Clean all your containers thoroughly everytime before use.

Don't use regular water. Some people don't bother with distilled water. In my opinion this is one of the worst things you can do. If you boil up some water and place it in a coffee cup to evaporate you will see a white residue left behind. You will be using quite a bit of water in this experiment which means allot of junk. Distilled water is available in every grocery store on the planet.

Ebay is your friend. I purchased all of my lab equipment off of ebay. It is much cheaper than purchasing from a lab supply store and no questions are asked. All of the items I got had very slight 'cosmetic' defects but they did not cause any issues in the functioning of the equipment.

Get good mimosa. More often than not I have heard people never getting their mimosa or it taking months to arrive. I have also heard of people getting mimosa that has practically no DMT in it. That is why I stick to my one tried and true supplier IAmShaman Shop. They are very fast and their product is good. There is nothing worse than spending hours after hours extracting to find out you got nothing because of bad product.

Cling wrap is a excellent tool in covering your flasks and other containers. It prevents evaporation and also reduces the chance of spilling the material. Plus dust and particles can get into your extraction if you don't have something as a lid. I use the cling wrap because it can easily be punctured to allow venting while sealing the container as well. Put a rubber band around the neck to keep it on as well.

Keep it down. If you are using a 500ml seperatory funnel and 500 ml flasks they do have a little more room in them but not a whole lot. Do your very best to keep your solution down to 500 ml. You can do this during the reducing stage. If you plan on making larger batches then buy bigger glassware. With a 500 ml solution you will have plenty of room to add solvents and such to your containers.

Cutting corners can cost you. This is the first hard lesson you will learn. Do your best to stick to the guide. By trying to cut corners you are adding more variables into a already hard situation. This leaves allot more room for error.

When in doubt stop and ask. DMT World is a great place to ask questions. It is much easier to put a hold on your work and ask than it is to try to go back and fix a mistake. Read the rules before posting there. They are strict on certain things to preserve the legality of their website.

Take a test drive. If you are new to Psychedelics I recommend you buy a small amount of Syrian rue and make a Ayahuasca brew. It is not a whole lot like smoked DMT. But it will give you a little idea of what you are in for. DMT is the most powerful Psychedelic there is jumping in with both feet can be a bad thing.

Something go wrong? Well fill out this questionnaire and post it at DMT World. Someone will usually be able to help you troubleshoot it. There is a possibility that you can still recover your material. That is why I try my best to save all the materials until I am done so I can go back to them if I need to.

Study study study. I highly recommend that you read all of the tek's available on the Internet not just this one. Read and re read them get to know the process well. I have done my best to make this tek up to date with all the new methods available but the old teks are still a wealth of information.

Ronsol = the devil. Ronsol lighter fluid is a very filthy naphtha. Don't use it unless you have absolutely no other choice.

You can use home made set ups, mason jars instead of flasks, a funnel/cotton balls to filter, but they will not work nearly as well as the real deal lab equipment. This is a hard process and If you can afford it these items will make it much easier and ensure a better chance of a good yield. You can also use pH papers instead of a digital meter but this is something I would never do. Having a proper pH at certain points will ensure you have a successful extraction.

Start small. Don't try to do a pound of mimosa on your first extraction. Do a small amount first to get the hang of the process. Blowing 1/8 of a pound of material is not nearly as depressing as blowing all of it. You will most likely make a few mistakes on your first extraction anyway's.

Keep a hold on your buckner filter. First extraction I did was a bad one because I lost half of it when the buckner filter fell over. The hose that connects the filter to the hand pump is very rigid and it is very easy to tip the top heavy filter over while moving the pump. Have a hand on it to steady the thing.

Make absolutely sure your valve on your seperatory funnel is closed before you pour liquid in. Seems simple but you'll be surprised how often people forget to check this.

Don't put allot of liquid into the filter at once. Do it a little at a time. I go through about 15 filters from start to end on a extraction like the one in the guide. The filter paper is very thick. It's almost like typing paper. Thus the pores clog up rather quickly.

Evaporation is a pain in the ass. No matter how hard I try I always seem to get dust in the naphtha while it sets in the casserole dish. Try your best to find a area that has decent ventilation but no dust. I know that's a tall order but your material is very exposed and tiny gnats and dust particles seem to be attracted to it like a magnet. I have stopped using a fan to speed evaporation because it tends to add allot of dust to the material.

Go with the latest. I know there are many tek's out there that vary widely in how they do their extraction. You have to keep in mind that many of these teks are over 5 years old. There has been allot of new advancements and refinements in DMT extraction over the last few years. I am not saying the teks are no good, they are still quite effective, but they may not be up to date on recent discoveries.

It seems like one would loose some DMT from the material with all the filtering, recrystalizations and washes. Yes you will loose some, not allot but some. I myself am totally dedicated to getting as pure a product as possible. Don't get me wrong I want as much from each extraction as I can get but in the end quality > quantity. If the final product is so full of impurities that it is extremely harsh to inhale then in my mind I have failed.

#45 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:25 PM

I just acquired a new blender. It shreds mimosa bark like nobody's business. Wheeee!

#46 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:43 PM

"I took a small quantity of distilled water ph of 7 and added this crud to it. after stirring for a few minutes I tested the PH again. It had jumped to 10. I think this is a sure sign of lye in this junk and thus this is quite likely basified solution that had gotten stuck in the naptha."

It is the ease of getting these dangerous impurities which puts me off a/b extractions. And I bet you were being ultra careful.

#47 llama

llama

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:20 PM

Perhaps he didn't wash that extraction well. I'm pretty sure if you wash well you don't get that kind of junk.

#48 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 25 March 2005 - 01:44 AM

phlanx...its not that hard..I'm serious. Just follow the instructions. First time and I came out with perfectly good product. Its like butter baby...:)

#49 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:38 PM

I have done it and get pure fluffy white crystals every time...

#50 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

nice crystals here..as long as you follow the tek its pretty simple

#51 Son of O'or

Son of O'or

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:33 AM

Vovin's Tek was the only one I have done that caused me the least amount of sorrow. This tek realy does work and is great for those who do not have access to synthetic NN DMT. If one does the proper washes, and does not try to take shortcuts, the final product is quite pure. Perhaps the biggest mistake anyone can make with this tek is to try to cut corners or make "improvements" on the basic instructions. Do 10 or 20 perfict extractions before playing with the tek.

Read the tek over 4 or 5 times before doing it. Copy each step on to a notecard, etc. Understand each step, before doing it. Play with your funnel and vacume filtration flask before doing the actual tek. Like I said before, one cannot go wrong with this tek if they follow it to the letter. Burn all notes, or place them on a remote server after the extraction... Embeding such encrypted information in image files works well.

I also think it wise that people do not pitch the mimosa after extracting it. Throw it in the freezer... The same goes for the extraction itself, keep it around. If you get no spice from the extraction chances are it was never extracted from the mimosa or is still in the base solution. One may be able to still extract the good stuff, it has to be somewhere... Mimosa is pretty consistant in its DMT content, unlike other plant material. Once the extraction is complete throw the spent mimosa in your garden and flush the base down the toilet. Its not unlike draino and will clean your pipes out quite nicely. Dont throw ANYTHING in the trash as the pigs love to dig in peoples trash. The same goes for Ayahuasca, spent cakes/casings etc. I have heard many stories of pigs stealing peoples trash from the curb in the middle of the night. One should also know the "real" uses of naptha and lye before buying in bulk. Mimosa has legit uses in the tanning of leather. Think thinning varnish for naptha. Naptha is also used to clean plates on printing presses. Lye is used for making soap. Lye has many uses.

Something the tek does not mention is what the final product smells like. Some people freak when they smell DMT in its semi pure form. It smell like bakalite or plastic, a definate chemical smell. It smells even more like plastic when it burns. This chemical smell is perficly normal. Some people describe the smell to be like mothballs. Almost all triptamines in their pure form have a sort of strange plastic chemical smell. Some people have had success with the extraction, but are afraid of some sort of impurity when they smell the final product. The chemical smell can be quite strong, but this is normal. As long as it is white or slightly off white it should be ok. Tar or oil produced by a botched extraction always contains some sort of impurity and I would not bother smoking it. If one wishes to be certain of their success they should check the ph of the final product. Some people worry about smoking lye, for good reason.

DMT is harsh to smoke. Realy nasty stuff. It takes quite a bit of practice to hold the smoke and then take another toke without taking a breath in between tokes. This also can scare people their first time toking. It is also tricky to vaporize it and not burn it. It takes practice. Burning the spice will destroy it. One just has to melt it and back the flame off once it melts. I honetly prefer pure synthetic NN DMT, in its salt form, injected. Smoking it just seems to hard on the lungs. Injection is a much more efficiant route. Dosages can be controled better etc. LOL! I would not try this with crude freebase DMT, like that produced by this tek, only with pure synthetic DMT, in its salt form, from a proven source. For me at least this would be one of the few things worth using a needle for. Ketamine would be another, but I never found it interesting enough to use more than a few times.

Smoking anything is just as unnatural as injecting it. In fact, smoking pure DMT is actualy more harmfull to the body than injecting it. Oral usage of DMT is actualy much more interesting, and the only real method I would consider "natural". For me at least a 5 or 6 minute flash only touches the surface. DMT injected lasts an hour or so, but the oral route lasts for 3 or 4 hours, much more time to explore these worlds... Injecting DMT and using an MAOI is something I have not heard anyone play with. I have used an MAOI before smoking DMT and it does extend the time between the flash and the trip back to earth. The flash is still the same, it just extends the landing. At least from my experiance. Some people have said they can trip very hard on less DMT, but I have not noticed the effect to the degree that some people do. If anyone does obtain a small amount of smokable DMT they should save a dose or 2 to smoke during the peak of a shroom trip. This is definatly a worthwile experiance. It can be scary as hell! But a wonderfull experiance. LOL! One should not even be playing with DMT in any form if they fear intense experiances. Its all about cracking open the head...

#52 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:55 AM

O'or, what is your opinion of the entheogenic value of smoked dmt v ayahuasca? Is smoking a bit of a waste of good dmt?

#53 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 01 April 2005 - 04:06 AM

Hey, son, I smoked during a mushroom peak and it kinda mellowed me out, seemed like the shrooms, threw it off a lil, took off some of the edginess, I guess... And when you say injected do you mean intramuscular(IM) or intraveinous(IV)? I would try both if I could get pure DMT... Could you not take the final white crystals and recrystllize to get large homogenous crystals, the react DMT with an acid to form a salt, that'll dissolve in water? Like DMT HCl?

#54 Venice

Venice

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:38 AM

I've read this thread, printed out the tek, gathered all materials and am ready to begin my first extraction. I do not see here how much crystal should yield from 50 gm of raw material. Sorry...if it's here I can't find it.

How much should I expect to yield assuming I follow the tek to the letter?

#55 Venice

Venice

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 06:59 AM

oops...I also have a question regarding the step of warming the naptha. I have a gas stove so obviously the stove must be off when naptha is in the room but should the water be boiling prior to placing the sep funnel into the water? Any more detail her would be much appreciated...thanks.

should I just be using a preheated crock pot or electric hot plate? this sounds safer

#56 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:15 AM

Venice: you should get about 275 milligrams of DMT from 50g of rootbark. At 50milligrams/dose, at least 5 doses...

#57 Venice

Venice

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:13 AM

thanks Marsofold...so can you comment on the Naptha warming procedure? should I be using a electric hotplate or is gas ok as long as there's no flame while the actual warming is occurring?

#58 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:52 PM

The ONLY way I would ever heat naptha indoors would be to boil some water in a large container then immerse a smaller container of naptha into the hot water. Otherwise, heat it outdoors in a crockpot and move it inside when ready.

#59 Jonah

Jonah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

a water bath is the ticket for heating naptha, as marsofold suggested.
i think that if you'll take a large pot of just through boiling water (pressure cooker without a lid works nicely) removed from it's heating source and then slowly place a pickle jar filled with your naptha into it, it will heat the naptha slowly and evenly. if your jar breaks in the water bath, at least it will be contained. if you'll take the lid off the jar and turn it upside down so that it is still sealed in a sense, but not sealed tight- it will reduce the smell a teensy bit as it heats up without causing any trouble that a sealed heating jar of solvent could cause.

good luck with everything, and if you seen any vine robot tripods, tell em i said what's up. :lol:

#60 Venice

Venice

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

thanks for the details 'topiats...tomorrow is naptha day...i'm kinda liking the outdoor crock pot idea the best...

vine robot tripods? do they know you as Jonah?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!