• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:24 PM

I've had a quick look through the archives, and can't find many references to Liberty Caps. Does anyone have any experience of indoor growing (or indoor spawn production for outdoor beds?).

I've never managed to find enough in the wild for a good trip, but I liked the giggliness the few I found (on Hampstead Heath) induced.

Anyone have spores? it's a long time to wait until autumn. :)

#2 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:34 PM

Nobody?

#3 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:54 PM

I'm pretty sure its near impossible to grow them indoors. They form a special relationship with some bacteria outside I believe, or something else they grow around.

#4 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:57 AM

The thing which spurred my interest was the picture in "The Mushroom Cultivator" of "P. Semilanceata mycelium running through straw".
Unfortunately that's all the detail there is, no explanatory text. :(
I know they like living among fescue grasses, but that's about all.

There's a pic in the archives of some Libs allegedly fruiting indoors in Germany.

If I could only get some spawn going, to try an outdoor bed I'd be happy.
I have one dried Lib about 5 years old, and I doubt if I could culture tissue from that! :)

#5 Guest_ograzebrook_*

Guest_ograzebrook_*

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:39 AM

apparently they are near impossible to induce pinning...
How many/much do you kneed to trip??

#6 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:57 AM

About 50 average sized shrooms seems to be about right for starters. I had mild effects with the 15-20 I found. Don't know about weight.

#7 Anno

Anno

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:46 AM

Does anyone have any experience of indoor growing

Gartz grew them indoors on "STERILE SUBSTRATUM WITHOF COMPOST, RICE GRAIN, GRASS SEED, AND WATER (12:3:4:22) AFTER CASING WITH PEAT/CHALK (6)"

(or indoor spawn production for outdoor beds?).

Workman grew the outdoors:
http://www.sporeworks.com/semilan.html

For Psilocybe hispanica, a related species, Workman says:

"This species is relatively easy to grow on sterilized horse manure placed outside during cool fall weather (around 60F). A relatively newly described species from Spain. In Spain it grows directly on sheep dung in fields that also support fruitings of Psilocybe semilanceata"

#8 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:39 AM

Excellent! Thanks Anno you're a mine of information :) At least I have a starting point now.

If I can find some spores (maybe time to find the dried oldie?), perhaps I'll make it this year's project :)
It looks as if all the vendors who list PS spores are out of stock :(

I don't have any straw compost, but I'm sure a local Agaricus grower would let me have a bag or two.

#9 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

About 50 average sized shrooms seems to be about right for starters. I had mild effects with the 15-20 I found. Don't know about weight.

That's a very high dose !
Normally 20 shrooms are good for a decent trip !
I think you have picked some weak ones...

#10 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

Maybe so. It's my only experience with Semilanceata, so I don't have anything to compare it with.

I'd say it was the equivalent of about 0.5g (dry) of "average" P. Cubensis, although it's difficult to judge because I've never dosed below 1.5g so I don't really know what small doses are like.

#11 phalanx

phalanx

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

P sem seems to fruit best after a cold snap of frosty weather. My best ever wild harvest was during a freezing fog. Another time it was mild weather after a frosty period when i had given up hope! Refridgerating the cased spawn for a few days or more before inducing pinning may be a vital step.

#12 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:27 PM

Here's a few pics and some info for those who are interested in of P. semilanceata......

Psilocybe semilanceata or Liberty Cap is the most wide spread wild psilocybin mushroom in the world. P. semilanceata grows in north temperate areas but it has been found even in Peru, Pune, India and also at altitudes of 4000 meters in Italy.

Liberty caps are about two to three times more potent than Psilocybe cubensis. Required amount for a trip is 20-40 fresh mushrooms or one to two grams dried. Effects are claimed to be very visual in high dosages and very tranquil in their effect on the body.

Liberty caps grow in tall rank grasses in pasturelands, lawns, parks, fields, golf courses, alongside roads etc. attached to the roots of grass and never directly in manure (best places to look would be any pastures that have had cows, sheep etc. in the past 10 years or so). Liberty caps like cool temperatures (night temperatures <10C, day temperatures <15C) and a lot of moisture (rain). The best season is fall: from when the fall rains begin until the first freezes. Sporeprint chocolate to purple brown.

Attached Thumbnails

• semi 5.jpg
  • semi 4.jpg
  • semi 3.jpg
  • semi 2.jpg
  • semi.jpg

#13 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:52 PM

Thanks, nice photographs!
My favourite has always been Roger Philips':
Posted Image

http://www.rogersmus...d~6707~gid~.asp

#14 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

Thats a great pic....gotta love those cute nippled caps :)

Here's a few more habitat pics courtesy of Ivy:

Attached Thumbnails

• hab 5.jpg
  • hab 4.jpg
  • hab 3.jpg
  • hab 2.jpg
  • hab 1.jpg

#15 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:08 PM

Thanks, I love all these pix! Posted Image

I don't know what it is, but the Liberty Cap has always seemed the nicest looking of the shrooms to me.
That thin wavy stalk and little nipple are just so elegant :p

#16 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

they are so tiny and thin. but yet, they are potent?

#17 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:48 AM

they are so tiny and thin. but yet, they are potent?

Believe it or not, many experienced trippers consider the semi high to be on par with our beloved woodlovers (ie: azurescens and Ps cyanescens.) No joke P. semilanceata is not only a beautiful little mushroom, but they are incredibly potent at 2 dry grams. Hunt and experience liberty caps if you possibly can! :)

#18 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:20 AM

This is slightly off topic, but not really. Until last week I was using pot 4-5 times daily and now that I have stopped using, I have started remembering dreams. One of the first was directly inspired by this thread.
Although I have never seen a Liberty Cap, much less grew one, I dreamed that my entire yard was full of them. It was so real. I was picking them by the handful and I couldn't wait to try them. And the head of the department I graduated from in college was all of the sudden the manager of our trailer park and was very interested in either busting me or stealing my precious crop, so I tried to get them all as fast as I could. I also had some giant cubensis growing around my neighbor's trailer. I wish I would have eaten them before I woke up, but I was not so lucky.

#19 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:47 AM

Nice dream! Probably very Freudian ;)
I'm quite happy for this thread to turn into a general Liberty Cap free for all. I love the little buggers, and I'm only too happy to read any vaguely relevant information (yep, that includes dreams :) )

#20 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

Believe it or not, many experienced trippers consider the semi high to be on par with our beloved woodlovers (ie: azurescens and Ps cyanescens.) No joke P. semilanceata is not only a beautiful little mushroom, but they are incredibly potent at 2 dry grams. Hunt and experience liberty caps if you possibly can! :)

yeah ive searched a few sites that list locations and also types of cubes etc that grow in different states and the state im in has, i believe, one type and its a hard find.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!