Fisana

- - - - -

Mycobag question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

I innoculated a 5 lb mycobag with a PES Hawaiian LC about 2 weeks ago. Right now it's about 30-40% colonized. BUT........it already started fruiting. That hasn't stopped it from colonizing, though. The myc is still ripping through the sub. What caused this? Should I allow the fruits to grow? Will I get a normal flush once fully colonized? Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

usually when i do get early fruit is because of light leak and temp drop,

siam

#3 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:03 AM

That's the theory I was going with but the guy I got the bag from says that happens when the incubation temp is too HIGH. I had it sitting on top of my incubator but have since moved it. Now, the temp is about 70-73 degrees. I guess I'll try that.

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:09 AM

I would cont to let it colo as there is not any real added risk of contam..Just pull em off when the bag is finally opened..they may even get partially re-absorbed by the Myc...

#5 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

Post casing / pre Pinning you want the substrate temp
to be around 82-86 degrees...

a drop in air temperature (at the right time)
to 74-78 degrees will start primordia formation.

siam

#6 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

So you're saying I should let these fruits over mature and just pull them when I get a flush after the bag is col?

#7 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:34 AM

That's what I thought, Jim. The guy said it has something to do with a bacteria that has formed from temps too high. The only way the myc can see to survive is to start fruiting. I used an LC made from MS. Maybe one substrain sees it's end drawing near and decided to fruit. The continuing colonization is a different substrain that was not in danger. What do you think?

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:36 AM

If yer going for an invitro flush , You have two options imo ,,Once fully colo'd move the bags into a glovebox and surgically remove...Or my preference would just let em be, till the primary flush is ready for harvest..
They should not rot in a sterile bag ..I have seen them re-absorbed ,cap n all...

#9 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

The idea of bacteria stimulating early fruiting is possible imo. As long as everything looks healthy though - i would let em be..
If things start heading South ,then i would bust em out right away and spawn the colo'd parts to a well ventilated substrate , which would no longer favour the bacterial growth.

#10 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:51 AM

Great idea, golly. I think I'll stick with that. I didn't know they could absorb back into the sub. interesting

#11 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well, some of the fruits are about 7 inches tall now. Should I leave them in there and hopefully they'll re-absorb, or should I open the bag, harvest them, and try to seal it back up again? The sub is now about 45% colonized and moving strong.

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

got a glovebox ?
if not
build one.
then, working inside sterile 'box,
open bags, harvest then re-seal.

#13 Guest_Stroph_*

Guest_Stroph_*

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

Thanks, Hip. That's what I'll do. Do I have to use an impulse sealer (don't have one) or can I use clothes pins/paper clips? P.S. I got the print today from the free prints for newbies. Thank you very much.

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:42 AM

impulse sealer is great if affordable
as seal needs to be tight.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!