• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dinosaur

dinosaur

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 11:47 PM

I usally do logs with straw,poo and spawn, but wanted to try doing casing, I spawned a pint of f.c WBS in straw/h-poo and put a verm, casing layer on top, but noticed a mushroom popping up after the 2nd day in the incubator, but planned on fruiting on day 5. What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• great america2006 012.jpg
  • great america2006 014.jpg
  • great america2006 011.jpg

#2 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:59 AM

My FOAF just forced a casing to fruit with that level of colonization, but it was because of time constraints.

You might think about pulling that little guy and continuing to incubate.

#3 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

thats kool...i would let it grow just a bit so i can clone it! or just pull it and continue with the incubation.

siam

#4 sobriquet

sobriquet

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 08:59 AM

My FOAF just forced a casing to fruit...

How can you force a casing to fruit?

I have a casing that has done nothing in 3 weeks and I recased it today with plain coco-coir as opposed to buffered peat. I'm hoping it will now take off but I'd like to hear more about forcing techniques.

#5 Defiance

Defiance

Trainee

• OG VIP
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:07 AM

I just meant he changed from the incubator to the FC early, before he typically would. Fruiting can't be 'forced', but optimal conditions can be provided before mycelial growth is popping up as densely as he generally prefers to have it, and pins will form.

What's the deal with your casing though. It sounds like it stalled? Do you see new growth? What are the conditions? Do you know the PH of the buffered peat? Sometimes it's easy to go overboard with the lime or not use enough, depending on your materials.

Maybe you should start a thread so we don't totally hijack this one :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!