• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:50 AM

Some of you may remember this from a year or so ago - Creepers On Compost - DDD Style. Well, it's time for some B+ done up similarly.

The mix in these two tubs was made as follows:

1 40lb bag of premium cow manure compost
20 quart scoops of peat moss (about 5 gallons), seems like a lot, but it's about the same volume as the compost it seems, maybe a little bit more.

Mixed it all up, put into large roaster pans, cooked in the oven at 450 for 5 hrs, taken out, left covered in the tubs overnight warm still, then dumped out and spawned. Each tub needed about a half gallon of spring water to help moisten it back up.

Spawn was wbs innoced with multispore. I'd say about 8 cups were used per tub and each one has about 4 inches of substrate in it, the coir one a bit more.

That's my basic oven past tek, nothing fancy, have had nothing but great success using it. Really nothing special to it but you want to make sure the inside gets up to 160f in those pans or else it won't pasteurize stuff. Leaving the oven low like at 200 never gets those inner temps up quick enough unless you leave the pans in there for a day or two. lol So I heat it up sorta quick and cool down slow. It holds heat really well once warm.

One tub got a few large handfulls of coir and is labeled seperate to see what difference a lil bit of coir into the mix produces.

And that is it. Pic sets will start below for tubs A and B and I'll edit the posts themselves with new pics till pins form. Should be about 2 weeks.

The attachments are pics of the compost I use, love, and recommend to all. :rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• compost 3.jpg
  • compost 2.jpg
  • compost 1.jpg

#2 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:52 AM

Here is Tub A - No Coir
==============

Attached Thumbnails

• TUB A with no coir - Day 7.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 5.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 4.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 3.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 2.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 1 002.jpg

#3 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:56 AM

Here is Tub B - With A Little Coir Added
=========================

Attached Thumbnails

• TUB B that has some coir added - Day 7.jpg
  • TUB B that has some coir added  - Day 5.jpg
  • TUB B that has some coir added  - Day 4.jpg
  • TUB B that has some coir added  - Day 3.jpg
  • TUB B that has some coir added  - Day 2.jpg
  • TUB B that has some coir added  - Day 1 002.jpg

#4 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:06 AM

cool! gonna keep an eye on your thread DDD!

#5 Rasa

Rasa

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:47 AM

Man, that looks really simple DDD! I cant wait to see this get goin:D
Thanks bro, Peace~ Ras

#6 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:02 AM

i love that you use the "cow manure" even though its not optimal it still puts out some great shrooms. it probably resists contams pretty good too huh?

#7 aumbrellaforainydays

aumbrellaforainydays

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 01:23 PM

whats pH like with all that peat moss? i saw the results and i like.

#8 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, doobs has the magic touch when it comes to bagged compost. I've tried the Black Cow with ok results but doobs can really pull of some good grows.

i love that you use the "cow manure" even though its not optimal it still puts out some great shrooms. it probably resists contams pretty good too huh?

#9 neo Figment

neo Figment

(evo)figment **OG**

• Expired Member
  • 436 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

Why do you consider Cubes home turf as inferior? Or are you talking about bagged over field gathered?

#10 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

Not sure what you mean... Mushrooms tear through this stuff. I have seen other grows with bagged composts and have seen very mixed results. This particular brand really works well for me.

#11 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:20 PM

whats pH like with all that peat moss? i saw the results and i like.

Not sure, have not tested it. I'll have to dig out a test kit.

#12 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 01:05 AM

So, I haven't really been updating those pics there because there hasn't really been any visible change. That is until today, well, not on top yet, but it is beginning.

Right on schedule, 2 weeks after making the tubs, pins are beginning to form on the edges. They are forming there because I did not block out the light.

It has been EXTREMELY dry in doobyland. This has caused the top, umm, maybe 1/8 inch or so to dry out slightly, not bad, but enough so the mycelium won't grow all over it, not just yet. A lil scraping shows a nice super white rhizzo mass though below. A good mycelium network.

To correct this lil bit of drying out I've been extra heavily directly misting the compost itself, as well as the tank walls after each fanning session... Really getting good a few times nice and heavy.

This would be a good example of how a casing would be beneficial. I'm still not going to be casing these though with any sort of casing layer.

We should be seeing some good stuff soon though. So, keep those eyes peeled.

#13 duncan

duncan

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

Nice work triple D, You always seem to have something intresting going on! Keep up with the pics. How many trays did you end up with for this massive bulk ?

I also love that you choose a strain like B+ which of any strain is the most forgiving to work with. Keep up the good work!

#14 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 09:10 AM

thats the shit
http://mycotopia.net...54&d=1176792597
thanks doob, i love this shit. but it's your method!:bow:
it's all i have used to pasteurize agway premium cow manure

#15 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:07 PM

Nice work triple D, You always seem to have something intresting going on! Keep up with the pics. How many trays did you end up with for this massive bulk ?

I also love that you choose a strain like B+ which of any strain is the most forgiving to work with. Keep up the good work!

Trays? There are 2 tubs...

#16 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

thats the shit
thanks doob, i love this shit. but it's your method!:bow:
it's all i have used to pasteurize agway premium cow manure

Heh, tis some good shit. :) Makes the mushies grow so nice. Where's Roc? I want him to see this one once it gets going... :rasta: hehe

#17 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

All sorts of nice pins and fruits showing now. The bin with coir seems to be a lil slower, but not much really. I'd say, a day behind the one without coir. Not sure if this is the coir, the tub conditions, or what.

Here are some pictures ... 1 from day 16, and others from Tub A, day 17 from spawning.

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1178064040

It's starting :headbang: ... Let's see what happens from here :rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• TUB A with no coir - Day 17 004.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 17 003.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 17 002.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 17 001.jpg
  • TUB with pins starting day 16 004.jpg

#18 doobydoobydoo

doobydoobydoo

Lifestyles Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:31 PM

It seems the B+ really likes to grow all over and it is growing more on the sides than other strains I've worked with. Here are a few pictures of the edges of the Tubs... pins galore! :greenboun DDD needs to get some black Krylon spray paint and get those bottoms blacked out eventually. heh

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1178064932

Attached Thumbnails

• TUB A with no coir - Day 17 006.jpg
  • TUB with pins starting day 16 001.jpg
  • TUB A with no coir - Day 17 007.jpg

#19 camMyco

camMyco

Modified Honey

• Expired Member
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:03 PM

Wow! I need to look for that shit next trip to the hardware store where do you find it?

#20 fahtster

fahtster

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 1,858 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:58 AM

I thought we had seen the last of DDD cow poo tubs and I got sad... but praise the mushroom gods that was just a false alarm. :) lookin great as always doobers. :thumbup:

fahtster

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!