• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:06 AM

Many species require cold temps for fruiting, spawn run, etc. (e.g., morels, woodlovers,etc.). This has posed a problem for small scale indoor cultivation.

Propose a solution of using an insulated plastic cooler, with white elwire (http://www.elbestbuy...leofretogo.html) lighting, and vortex tube cooling (http://www.exair.com...Vortex Tube.htm), to create a grow chamber with with capabilities of cooling down to the 30-60F range required by some species. Add a computer controlled cool mist, ultrasonic, fan, etc., and your ready for performing automated cold weather species experiments.

The vortex tube is connected to a small 120 VAC 1.5 HP air compressor to bring the cooler down to the desired temperature. The vortex tube can also be used as a heat source and with a few solenoids could possibly provide a complete heating, cooling, and FAE solution.

Attached Thumbnails

• vortex cooler house.jpg

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:19 AM

:cool:
estimated total co$t ?

#3 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

:cool:
estimated total co$t ?

Vortex kit with mufflerrs etc., $250, large insulated cooler $100?, air compressor $200, elwire $100, cool mist, ultrasonic, fans, et al. ~$200, computer automation hardware and software ~$500, growing morels or woodlovers year around, priceless.

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:03 PM

over $1000 ??
one wonders if converting a 'fridge might be cheaper

#5 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

I have another idea...
I use a little fridge,were I put in a little platic container,that holds an air bubber inside with a aquarium heater.
This way the inside keeps humid,and is still cooled by the cold temps in the fridge.
Now the fridge doesn't have to work hard to keep temps low,and the plastic container is needed to keep humidity high !

Because I have no room at this moment ,I do not use this plastic container in the fridge,and I nontice that humidity is low,and that my casing dry out after one or two days !
But when I used the container,the casings kept humid for atleast two-three weeks !

http://mycotopia.net...69&d=1113057262

Attached Thumbnails

• Subaeruginosa%20Fridgeint.jpg

#6 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

There's also the possibility of using a Peltier device. When you put DC current in one way, one side cools and the other heats. Reverse the current, and the cold and hot sides reverse. They use them in some of the little coolers/warmers that plug into a cigarette lighter.

I've been thinkng of getting a couple to play with. There's a big assortment available at mpja.com for not too much money. That, a power supply, thermostat, fan and cooler shouldn't run more than a couple hundred bucks at most. If I had it to spare right now, I'd order 'em today.

By the way, those Vortec units work very well. But they're noisy as hell, even with the muffler on. They're great in an industrial setting, but I'm not sure I'd like it in the house.

#7 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:33 AM

Great ideas guys! I guess due to the noise, I will be putting the cooler in the garage with some wet perlite at the bottom for humidity and a thermostat for control. Hope it works out, otherwise I will have wasted mo money (again) hehe!

#8 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:34 AM

over $1000 ??
one wonders if converting a 'fridge might be cheaper

Cheaper, but not nearly as complicated LOL!

#9 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like you're having fun. "Cool" stuff.

#10 TheJackal

TheJackal

Cunning Linguist

• Expired Member
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:19 PM

Sounds like you're having fun. "Cool" stuff.

Thanks! If only the wifey would think so!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!