11 replies to this topic

#1 zionknight

zionknight

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

Watsup everyone,

This is my first time growing shrooms and my first ever post,so please excuse any mistakes.After failing with spores(i think it was the vendor,spores101) I decided to try a liquid culture due to all the added advantages such as fast growth and maximizing your available spores.So I would just like to share my so far success with my fellow Mycotopians.This is not my TEK but I have used and combined many other TEKS found on mycotopia and the internet and a little of my own creativity.I live in South Africa so some of the stuff used in other TEKS was really hard to find,and sometimes i had to improvise for this Tek.

The strain I chose was cambodian as i heard it had very fast mycelium growth.I chose popcorn as my substrate as it colinizes quickly and is cheap and readily available.

I started off by making a glove box which I know i would put to good use.I used a small plastic storage container as the box and melted holes in the side for gloves and the lid for a window inside.I then attached thick latex gloves,taped very well in place as to create a good air-tite seal.For the window I used thick plastic bags cut to the shape of the window,this was also taped in place.On the side next to the gloves I melted a hole for a small globe for some lighting inside the glove box.To steralize the glove box surface and air around my working area I used an air sanitizer called I.C.U,with an active ingredient of ethanol.I always spray my work surface and the surounding air to help combat contams.
I then steralized a shot glass,my 10cc syringe and needle(with distlled water in),and a blade.This was all placed in the glove box along with the spore print in its protective baggie.Once closed the spore print was opened and the spores scraped off into the shot glass.The distilled water was then placed into the shot glass,swirled around and then sucked back up into the syringe.This syringe was then left for the spores to rehydrate for about 24hrs.

I had made a few pint(500ml) jar lids with a self-healing inoculation spot with some silicone.The liquid culture TEK i chose was the dextrose TEK,with some added nutritional yeast/brewers yeast as added nutrients.The exact amounts were 2 1/2 tsps of dextrose powder(obtained from brew shop)to 200ml distilled water,with 1/4 tsp nitritional yeast(from pharmacy) added for nutrients.This was put in the microwave for 1 min as a form of pre-steralization.The jars were then pc'd for 20 mins with tin foil over loose jar lids.These three jars were then left to cool and all inoculated with sterile needle and 2cc of spore solution.These were then shaken for 30 secs to allow air to dissolve in the solution.These were placed into my incubator and allowed to incubate at 28*C(82*F).

My incubator is made with 2 plastic srorage containers 1 in the other with a fish tank heater submerged in water under the 1 to provide heat.A lid is placed on top to keep in heat.The temp is measured with a thermometer.

After 24hrs small mycelium growth was seen around the spores in the solution.After 7 days the mycelium had grown to 2 inchs wide and 1 inch tall.I decided this was sufficient growth for a liquid culture to be used for inuculating some popcorn jars.

This is were I ran into a problem,the needles I had were to thin to suck up any mycelium succesfully,so I found a solution,i went to a lab supply store and baught some 3cc plastic pipetts.Then 9 of these pipetts were then socked in bleach and water,drained,covered in tin foil,water added and pc'd for 20 mins.These were then placed into the glove box along with some ethenol on a cloth for sterilization,and the mycelium solution in 1 of the jars(best jar was chosen).The glove box was closed and the band on the mycelium jar un-tightened.I then removed the tin foil from the pipett and wiped with ethanol on the tip of the pipett before squeezing and insurting in mycelium solution to draw up mycelium(jar had been shaken before putting into box to losen mycelium).The full mycelium pipett was then recovered in tin foil.This was done with all 9 pipetts.These were then stored in the fridge while popcorn jars were prepared.

To prepare the popcorn I first measured the rite amount of corn by placing in pint(500ml) jars and fulling up to 1/2 jar.This was done for 9 jars.The corn was then dumped into the pc with 5cc of bleach:1 litre of water,which just covered all the corn,this was allowed to soak for 15mins and was done as pre-sterilization.This was then drained and new water added,along with 2 tblsp of nitritional yeast(yeast was added to improve mycelium growth as it would be absorbed in the pc process).The water was added so that it was double the volume of popcorn.This was then pc'd for 60 mins at 15psi.Once done,the pressure was released and the corn put into a colander(While still hot),and rinsed under a tap for 5 mins,this was then allowed to drain for another 10mins.The drained corn was then placed on a towel and rubbed dry for another 15mins,or until appeared not wet.This was then placed into pint jars 3/4 full.The jar lids had 2 holes made in each lid and filters placed over 1 hole and the other tape was placed over for later inoculation by mycelium pipett.The lids were then covered in tin foil and pc'd for another 60mins at 15psi.Once done they were allowed to cool over nyt.

Next day the glove box was prepared and steralized for jar inoculation with LC.The mycelium pipetts,ethanol on a cloth,a sterile knife and 4 popcorn jars were placed inside the box.The knife was sterilized and then used to poke open the tape covering the inoc hole.The tip of the pipett was wiped with ethanol and then insurted into the inoc hole,then 2.5cc of mycelium solution was then squeezed out into the middle of the corn jar.This hole was then covered with new tape to prevent contams from getting in.This was done for all jars.The jars were then gently rolled for 30 secs to distribute the mycelium.These jars were then placed into my incubator at 28*C(82*F).

After 16 hours of incubation small strands of mycelium could be seen all over the kernels of popcorn,in every jar.
So far it has only been 2 days,and so far it has been success.I will keep you guys informed on growth,and i will upload some pics of some equipment and a jar just to show how growth is going.I plan to make more jars and eventually case the popcorn in 50/50 verm : peat moss or coir.I will post more pics once it has fruited aswell.I would like to thank mycotopia and all others who have contributed any info that I used in this TEK.And while I am here I would like to thank my best friend ace,for realizing and opening his eyes to reality, and always being a good buddy.

Be back soon,peace.
Zion Knight

Attached Thumbnails

• pop9.JPG
  • pop13.JPG
  • pop8.JPG
  • pop6.JPG
  • pop7.JPG
  • pop5.JPG
  • pop4.JPG
  • pop3.JPG
  • pop10.JPG
  • pop2.JPG
  • pop1.JPG

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:52 PM

since you are in south africa
and adapted for there
i moved your thread to our
forum international
where, hopefully, eventually
others from your area
might benefit from your
experiences.
thx for sharing.
:bow:

#3 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

I wonder how this is going....Do you have any updates or pics?

#4 zionknight

zionknight

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

So far all jars colonized to 100% within 12days.They were then left for 2 extra days just for insurance.These jars were then used in a rez-effect substrate.The jars were crumbled into tinfoil pans with coir hydrated to feild capacity,in a ratio of 1:1.The mixture was mixed and then covered with tinfoil,with a half dozen holes poked in the top.The coir was nuked for 5 minutes earlier in the day and all instrumentation used was sterilized with methanol before use.The pans have been in the incubator for 5 days so far.I am planning to case them in a casing mixture of vermiculite and coir in a ratio of 60:40.I have inoculated 11 other jars today using the same TEK and also plan to use them for a rez-effect substrate.Will keep posting updates as they come along.

How long after mixing the spawn and coir should I apply the casing(use the pic to help judge) and how thick should the casing be,(i was planing on making it about 1/4 inch thick)then incubate it covered in tinfoil with holes to allow the mycelium to recover for 2-3 more days before putting it into the fruiting chamber?Should the substrate be misted very lightly before applying the casing?

Peace,
Zion Knight

Attached Thumbnails

• S4022657.JPG
  • S4022658.JPG
  • S4022651.JPG
  • S4022649.JPG

#5 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:16 AM

let the bulk substrate colonize 100% before applying casing.. no need to mist before applying casing.. the casing can be placed after 100% colonization then after 2-3 days you can bring it to the fruiting chamber and you can mist a few times until pins appear then just keep the humidity up to 85% at least and give it more fresh air exchange..

#6 Guest_Jony 8)_*

Guest_Jony 8)_*

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:00 AM

and hov about the fruiting? hav you got some pix of that part??

I make my today just like you did vith reye...

vill see...:rasta:

#7 zionknight

zionknight

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

Thanx a lot vinz.I wil use your advice.No pics of fruiting yet,hav not even cased yet.Wil post updates as soon as they come along.
Peace

#8 joystik

joystik

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

I agree with vinz. Dont mist before placing the casing layer. Just keep the casing moist. Dont let it dry out.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

and hov about the fruiting? hav you got some pix of that part??

I make my today just like you did vith reye...

vill see...:rasta:

http://mycotopia.net...daysprune=&f=55

#10 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Thanx a lot vinz.I wil use your advice.No pics of fruiting yet,hav not even cased yet.Wil post updates as soon as they come along.
Peace

np! pins come along around a week after introducing light..

#11 7EyeShroomer

7EyeShroomer

Gourmet lover

• Expired Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

@ ZionKnight

Hi, im quite new to this forum, can you tell me where you got your mycelium from and what strain of shroom you growingg. im very interested in yellow oyster myself.

Tried the log method but that takes for ever, i need some fresh cultures to clone with so i can try the bag method.

Any help from anyone would be wonderful.

Thankx :eusa_danc

Oh, Im from Namibia, by the way. in the north

Edited by 7EyeShroomer, 26 May 2011 - 12:26 PM.
Extra information to add

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

7eye , this thread is more than 4 years old ...

Long time since any activity here.

Welcome to Mycotopia though !

Check this thread:

http://mycotopia.net...ry-oysters.html

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!