21 replies to this topic

#1 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Oh dear. believe it or not, I kind of forgot that I had a couple of pan cakes sitting around. I noticed them last night, and lo and behold they're pinnng like crazy in vitro. Some a couple inches long, so the fruits are forming already.

They're in round bottom 1 pint pp5 containers. Perforated foil on the top, over a layer of pf-style verm barrier. Myc is coming up through the verm, too, but no pins on top.
I'd like to hear some opinions. Should I:
Take off the foil and put them into FC as-is?
Scrape off verm and case with cactus/coir?
Put them into the FC 'upside down', so the bowl-shaped side is
on top?
Something else?

I lean toward turning them out upside-down, because there are so MANY little pins and shroomies in there. Lots of surface area, and I was just looking a a cubie tek using a plastic salad bowl, with the contents turned out convex-side-up after colonization. I've had PF cakes fruit like a mother after starting to take off in vitro, so maybe????

Whaddya think, folks? Thanks.

#2 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Which side of it are the pins already forming on? Or is it the whole way around?

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

I lean toward turning them out upside-down, because there are so MANY little pins and shroomies in there. Lots of surface area, and I was just looking a a cubie tek using a plastic salad bowl, with the contents turned out convex-side-up after colonization. I've had PF cakes fruit like a mother after starting to take off in vitro, so maybe????

sounds like a plan.
i'd harvest the invitro fruits first,
then procede as you say...

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 06:49 PM

btw get pix of these pans invitro if possible plz
:bow:

#5 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 20 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

And when it's all done, I wouldn't be surprised if you flipped it back over to find a few more babies had grown on the flat bottom side while the top was poppin 'em out. I had that happen with some cakes before when I flipped 'em. Seemed the myc remembered where the light had been for a bit and a few more pins came out even though it had become the underside.

#6 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

Sounds cool, Hip and Nabby. This is my second attempt a pans, and the first with a chance at good results. First time sub was too wet and what few came up were black as coal, and the whole thing stunk.

I'll definitely get pics of them, just got new batteries.

#7 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:54 AM

pics would be awesome :)

#8 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

Hopin' for pics here too! Do you have any experience cloning? Pans aren't very meaty so it might take a few tries to get a good one. But if your down with it you may have opportunity to start working with an invitro pan strain.
It would be nice to see a reproducibly invitro pan floating around the community.

#9 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

LC was started Jan. 27. Took off fairly slow, but steady.
Noc'd March 3. Slow again, so they got pushed to the back on the incubation closet 'cause I thought they'd be duds.
Pulled out the stuff in front of them, and there they was!
Picked off the biggest ones, left the tiny, happy-looking pins that were sticking out. Now they're 3 little hills in the FC, I hope just itching to grow!
:loveeyes:

No, I don't have any experience with cloning, but since I'm anxious to try it I'll pour some agar soon and see what happens. This was a multispore LC of Pan Goliath. The jar's still in the fridge so I'm going to see if I can duplicate these results.

Attached Thumbnails

• t3open1.JPG
  • t3p1.JPG
  • t2open1.JPG
  • t2p1.JPG
  • t1open1.JPG
  • t1p1.JPG

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

hmm, those appear to be cubensis, to my eye.

#11 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:57 PM

Ya know, I thought so too, but I'm usually pretty careful with labeling. I hope They really are pans, but - well - there's always a first time to make a mistake. For once, Hip, I really hope you're wrong! That would really piss in my punch bowl.

#12 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:16 PM

Those stems are really thick ,even for Goliath...I think they are Cubes..Srry
hope i'm wrong cause that would be cool..

#13 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

We'll see when the pins start to grow, but I think you guys are right. To tell the truth, I'm starting to feel a bit embarrassed.
Oh well. At least if they're cubies it looks like a decent crop comin' on.

#14 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

We'll see when the pins start to grow, but I think you guys are right. To tell the truth, I'm starting to feel a bit embarrassed.
Oh well. At least if they're cubies it looks like a decent crop comin' on.

That's the spirit ! :thumbup:

#15 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

instead of pouring agar plates, i recommend Fahtster's Oven Bag tek. You can clone a piece of the mushroom directly into LC. That's what I plan on doing anyway. I tried agar and its a pain in the ass.

#16 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, I remember seeing that a while back, and faht's stuff is wicked good. Maybe I'll look it up and give it a try. If I remember it looked pretty foolproof. But, there's no fool like an old fool.
I've played a little bit with agar, and I think I could get to like it. But I'm all for variety in experimentation, especially since I'm not much beyond noob stage.

#17 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 07:20 PM

instead of pouring agar plates, i recommend Fahtster's Oven Bag tek. You can clone a piece of the mushroom directly into LC. That's what I plan on doing anyway. I tried agar and its a pain in the ass.

Ahem.... Some actually enjoy that pain in the ass, thanks! ;)

And I don't wanna hear any jokes about that comment either!!!! :lol:

Sorry they aren't pans, but you do look like you got a real nice thing going for you. A worthy reason to get into cloning anyway. Nothing to be embarrassed about- actually a congrats is in order for a nice job done. :bow: GL!!!

#18 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:54 PM

lol, agar may be annoying at times..
if you still want to work with agar plates, adding h202 to your agar and making it h202 agar will help you a lot.. trust me..
since you are working with cloning tissues or mycelium transfers, it wont be a problem.. it will help you a lot against contamination.. just dont use spores on h202 agar coz it wont grow.. :)

#19 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

The pieces for a glove box have been collected, and will go together soon. First attempt was under a clear rubbermaid upside down on the table. Not too bad for its crudeness, about 20% contammed. I thought it was 50% until I found out that mex A puts out technicolor myceliumn. That strain will be revisited soon.

Any thoughts on the salt tech in agar? That thread looked pretty promising too.

#20 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2007 - 06:33 PM

What do these look like? Can't place the breed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!