#1 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

The GTs I'm growing have been consistently WEAK ASS SHROOMS! :thumbdown:

This is my 3rd GT grow from a MS syringe; the first two were from a LC. I thought the LC was my problem, but this time I innoculated with the remainder of the syringe. Last night I ate 55 grams of fresh, refrigerated mushrooms. They might have lost 10-20g in water weight since I put them in the fridge. So this should have been a hardcore trip. Instead, it was equivalent to about a 1g trip!

Having grown these GTs all winter with similar luck, I think it's time to throw the fuckers out along with all prints. Agree?

Another problem I've noticed this time around is that most of the caps do not drop spores! I liked it at first, and the mushrooms themselves have an almost agreeable flavor, more so than any other cube I've eaten. But there's no magic in them!

What do you think? Bad genes? Or do suppose there could be another factor at work here? This is getting very frustrating. I haven't had a decent trip in four months.

#2 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Bummer...I would try another strain...Redboys have been quite potent along with Tapalpa ime...I'm sure there r many others..
My GT's are of average potency..
Have you had any ass kickin shrooms , cause u may have a hard head..heh..

#3 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:00 PM

that sucks man..
what were they grown on?
cambos never let me down.. and have made several friends of mine never wanna trip again heh
just took some ksss earlier.. really colorful..

#4 carpet face

carpet face

spice-e

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:01 PM

my gt's are somewhat above average but they never get bigger than 3 in's . everyone i know loves the ecuador and the burma when i have them to give out . i love groing the burma cause they get huge and great potency.

#5 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:03 PM

Oh yes, I have had wonderfully kickass shrooms! This is the first strain that I've had problems with. I know it's not just tolerance, because I haven't been tripping often. Even when I had a high tolerance, 7g of shrooms would still kick my ass. Luckily, I have some EQs going too so hopefully they will be better.

Do you suppose the original stock was bad? I got these from a former sponsor (TLG). It's hard to believe that someone would knowingly propagate a weak strain. Every other syringe was awesome.

A few problems with this strain:

1. Very little bluing
2. Caps that don't sporulate (though that wasn't always the case)
3. A mild taste.
4. No magic!

While maybe one strain isn't enough to jump to conclusions, it seems obvious to me that these factors are all related. I know psilocin has no flavor, but perhaps a chemical needed to produce the magic is what causes the bad taste. Just a thought.

#6 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:06 PM

that sucks man..
what were they grown on?
cambos never let me down.. and have made several friends of mine never wanna trip again heh
just took some ksss earlier.. really colorful..

Twice grown on PF cakes and once grown on popcorn rez. It's a bummer, because they have been decent fruiters.

I wonder if it's worth saving the prints, or if they are just going to give me the same results? I have a ton of prints so no big deal if I lose the strain.

#7 Bobcat

Bobcat

Selah!

• Expired Member
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:07 PM

There could be many variables, including your conditions. Switching strains or subs will offer you more info.

#8 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 01:10 PM

There could be many variables, including your conditions. Switching strains or subs will offer you more info.

Well, I grow in a standard tub like most PF cakes. Only thing that sticks out is that the temperatures, being winter, have been lower. Mid 60's to low 70's all the way through.

Definitely switching strains.

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

if you are doing multispore grows
it's a genetic crapshoot.
GT's would not have been the most popular strain in europe for several years
if they were bunk.
strain isolation is the key,
isolate / clone the strongest specimens
and you can guaranty identical offspring.

#10 carpet face

carpet face

spice-e

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:25 PM

i usually get my spres from sporeworks . never had a problem yet even with the ones dated a few months back . so i wouldn't know about any other distributor.

#11 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

do you always put them in the refidgerator?
thats pretty cold for them.
I know te freezer has messed up some fruits before

#12 Guest_floppypeter_*

Guest_floppypeter_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:03 PM

maybe try adding some nutes to your sub

It may be my imagination, but it seems to me that the potency of my shrooms got better and more consistent when i started to add nutes that hippie3 recommends for his cake recipe. I started to mix it in my bulk sub as well.

1 teaspoon of nutritional yeast,
1 tablespoon bee pollen,
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 tablespoon shredded coconut meat/flour
1 tablespoon blue corn meal
1 tablespoon coarse yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon of powdered/ground kelp meal
1 teaspoon of cottonseed meal

these are the amounts for a dozen pf cakes, I add by eye to the sub. I have no hard science to back this up other than experience, when I first started the hobby potency seemed to vary widely. Since adding these nutes I haven't had a problem with potency. you can find it all at a health food store for around $30. Maybe I've just been getting lucky, heh....:rasta:

#13 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

If you're givin up on that strain, I'd gladly take the prints off your hands. ;)

But I have to say, Equador has been my favorite so far. Those things hit hard... gave an experienced tripper I knew somewhere between 3.5 to 4 grams dried, and she was swimming on the front lawn, asking who she was.

#14 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:04 PM

if they were bunk.

I did not mean to imply that the entire GT strain was bunk, only that my particular syringe seems to be shooting only blanks. I'm sure if I purchased a new GT print or syringe it would be fine.

#15 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 09:06 PM

do you always put them in the refidgerator?
thats pretty cold for them.
I know te freezer has messed up some fruits before

No, not always. I only did it this time in order to keep them fresh for a week until I could eat them. It helps them keep just like regular button mushrooms. I hear freezing them turns them to mush; mine were fine.

#16 shroom_seeker

shroom_seeker

Still seeking...

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:15 PM

Having grown these GTs all winter with similar luck, I think it's time to throw the fuckers out along with all prints. Agree?

Yes!! Get a new strain and good luck bro.

#17 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:48 PM

i doubt its the syringes problem..

#18 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 10:57 PM

i doubt its the syringes problem..

Care to elaborate? PF cakes are PF cakes...

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

if you are doing multispore grows
it's a genetic crapshoot.
if they were bunk.
strain isolation is the key,
isolate / clone the strongest specimens
and you can guaranty identical offspring.

like i said...

#20 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:08 PM

Hippie,

Are the prints I made going to be more likely to produce similarly low potency mushrooms? If it is indeed a genetic trait in this situation, then it seems likely to me that the spores will be more predisposed to producing more low-potency mushrooms. Sound about right?

In other words, is it worth keeping the prints.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!