• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:52 AM

Anyone have any experience with this idea? I'm trying a casing in a cardboard box in a monotub that I plan to line with perlite once the casing is thoroughly colonized. There's been too much side-pinning and crap results in my past attempts at straight monotubs, and I've been unable to find tubs that are opaque (and too lazy to try blocking the light with tape or paint, plus I want to keep the tubs as inconspicuous as possible), so I'm thinking, if it doesn't contam, the cardboard box will help out a lot with getting more water to the mycelium and stop that annoying side-pinning. Any suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

#2 deloun

deloun

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:20 AM

I think you can better lay one (or more, depending on the thickness of em and how much light they inhibit) garbage bag(s) at the bottom of the tub also covering the sides till the height of your substrate which will avoid light coming trough the sides and thus stops side pinning.

#3 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:55 AM

I've tried that, but thanks to the weird shape of my tubs it's pretty difficult to get the bags to fit properly.

I just wanted to experiment with cardboard and see what others have to suggest about it. I saw a few threads where cardboard seemed to help in growing cakes and one where someone lined cardboard boxes with plastic to avoid having to pay for the tubs, but found none about people doing casings the way I'm trying.

I'm hoping it will help solve the problem of my casings drying out too much and shrinking. No matter how much I mist and add casing material to try to combat the problem, it keeps ruining casings. I think the lids of my tubs are just not airtight enough, and if this cardboard box experiment fails I'm going to have to try something else, perhaps the "sandbag" idea..

#4 Guest_vinz_*

Guest_vinz_*

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:03 AM

if the cardboard gets wet and does not get colonized with myc it may bring contamination..black garbage bags are the easiest.. you do not have to open it just put the plastic on the bottom and up the sides a bit..monotubs do not need perlite..

#5 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:09 AM

So you think I should skip the perlite and just mist everyday? I was hoping the cardboard could wick water up to the mycelium, and from the pictures I saw of cakes on cardboard, it looks like mycelium likes to colonize cardboard usually. My main concern is how to get it just wet enough to help out, but not waterlog it and cause problems. I'm sure it will take a bit of tweaking before I get it just right.. if I have enough patience to keep experimenting..

#6 deloun

deloun

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 04:34 AM

What sort of casings are you doing? How's your setup inside the monotub?

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:28 AM

see http://archives.myco...es/5/11766.html

Posted Image

#8 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:44 AM

in the above post by hippie, the person doesn't even put the box lined with a garbage bag into a monotub. you may invite contams if you let a cardboard box sit on top of perlite.

#9 bugs

bugs

Are we having fun yet?

• OG VIP
  • 3,260 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:02 AM

A few moths ago I tried setting cakes on carboard circles directly on the perlite. The carboard colonized like crazy, but overall the cakes just got too waterlogged. Contammed after the first flush. Same just recently with terra cotta dishes like you put under a plant pot. Things seemed great at first, then nada. Too much moisture wicking up through the clay. I'm guessing that when it's too damp there's too little air exchange inside the cake so the anaerobic shit takes off from the inside. Or, I suppose, it could be something unrelated. These weren't exactly controlled experiments.

Of course the old caveat, your mileage may vary. It's pretty much a different situation you're describing.

#10 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

I kinda like the box idea..May have to try that myself sometime...
Freaky did a box grow last summer ,although it was outdoors - i think it did well...

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

A few moths ago I tried setting cakes on carboard circles directly on the perlite. The carboard colonized like crazy, but overall the cakes just got too waterlogged. Contammed after the first flush. Same just recently with terra cotta dishes like you put under a plant pot. Things seemed great at first, then nada. Too much moisture wicking up through the clay. I'm guessing that when it's too damp there's too little air exchange inside the cake so the anaerobic shit takes off from the inside....

agreed.

#12 Nabby

Nabby

Mushroom Muncher

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:49 AM

If you're trying to keep light out, you could always use the old turkey pan idea. It's cheap, and blocks out all light. Just put a cut-to-fit trash bag inside it to keep the myc from trying to eat the aluminum, as I've heard it may do.

#13 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

What sort of casings are you doing? How's your setup inside the monotub?

Right now it's just a very thin layer of cowpoo/verm on the bottom of the cardboard box, crumbled wbs spawn, and at least an inch or so of the cowpoo/verm mix on top. I taped all the polyfill holes of the monotub closed and stuck it in a dark corner until it finishes colonizing. I haven't decided what to do after that point, hence this post asking for suggestions.

#14 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:11 PM

I kinda like the box idea..May have to try that myself sometime...
Freaky did a box grow last summer ,although it was outdoors - i think it did well...

If you can find the thread, I'd like to read it. Thanks.

#15 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:50 AM

So here's how my friend's attempt with a cardboard box in a monotub is coming along. I think keeping all but four of the polyfill holes taped closed has been beneficial (and may have a great deal to do with the tubs failing in the past). No sign of contamination yet, unless it's hiding underneath. Pinset isn't great (multispore OI to LC to WBS ) but, compared to previous tub results, is very exciting for my friend. Will update when everything is about ready for harvest--hoping for advice on which fruit to try cloning from those with more experience.

IM.JPG

#16 oeisa

oeisa

Shroomess

• Expired Member
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

if the cardboard gets wet and does not get colonized with myc it may bring contamination..black garbage bags are the easiest.. you do not have to open it just put the plastic on the bottom and up the sides a bit..monotubs do not need perlite..

It looks like the mycelium has grown through the layers of cardboard and almost covered the outside edges of the box, so hopefully that will protect against contams for as long as possible.

Attached Thumbnails

• IM00.JPG
  • IM0.JPG

#17 Guest_DaGoon_*

Guest_DaGoon_*

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:52 PM

ive never thought about trying this.
when foaf does boxes, she tacks the garbage bag to the top corners
and that makes it easy to pull the cake out and check the sides for
contamination.. but this is like seethrough method , really neat!

I see you have a terrarium, would you trust a cardboard box just sitting on a counter some where?

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:36 PM

yes, in a cleanroom ...

#19 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:53 PM

Looks like it worked well for Golly also. His thread was GT's inaboxhttp://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50607&d=1178381719

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!