• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 white_rabbit3

white_rabbit3

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:05 AM

I've been growing for a couple of years now I've never isolated a strain.
I'm curious to what some of you look for, to determine a good candidate to isolate or clone.
Also like to know the pitfalls to be expected and what tek every one prefers to clone with

#2 Guest_Glasshopper_*

Guest_Glasshopper_*

Posted 23 April 2007 - 11:45 AM

You want to pick the fastest growing, biggest & of course most potent.
A common clone tek here is liquid culture.

Take a piece of the inside of the stem, drop it into h2o2 for a couple of seconds and then drop it into your presterilized jar of karo water. 1 teaspoon of karo to 100 ml of water.

Edited by Sidestreet, 20 August 2015 - 08:49 AM.
removed bad links

#3 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 01:24 PM

You can clone to isolate, like stated above.

Or use agar to isolate many substrains, fruit them all, and then see which isolate you like best.

Cloning is going to be much quicker of a process, many less steps, and no agar work needed.

I however, have found that not all clones act like a true isolate.

If I truly want to isolate, I work it on agar, and fruit those isolations to see if I get what I like. If not, I start again. Its tedious, but fun, imo at least :)

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

start here-

[broken link]

Edited by Sidestreet, 20 August 2015 - 08:50 AM.
removed broken link

#5 white_rabbit3

white_rabbit3

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

OK, Cool stuff.... thank you, I needed that. Now if I was to start with a selected shroom to isolate from using any of the manners above, and I'm selecting from fruited multispore tray, how would one select a clone to isolate.

Example, in one tray there are several clutchs or groups and sometimes there are like many singles growing independently in the same tray, if every thing else being equal, would you choose one from the clutch (or group)? or the single growing specimens, does one look much for uniformity, or does it even matter.

If you had a choice do you select size over speed, and is there much variation in potency with in the same multispore, do you think?

#6 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• Expired Member
  • 12,219 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

Its all going to depend on what you want most in your fungus. Do you want big shrooms, that shoot off a few random biggies? Or do you want clusters of shrooms, growing in groups, but smaller in size?

Another way to go about it, is fruit say 2-3 multi-spore trays. Take very good notes, all the way from the beginning.
Which colonized the jars first?
(If working with bulk substrate) Which ran the spawn first?
Which pinned first?
Take notes of all that and then pick your clones from the characteristics you see that make your ideal isolate.

Also, its a good idea to name and lable your clones. Go ahead and make a few Liquid Culture jars to test a few clones with.

Happy Funging :)

#7 white_rabbit3

white_rabbit3

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

THanks all:greenboun ,thats enough to keep me busy :hippie:

#8 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2007 - 01:49 PM

THanks all:greenboun ,thats enough to keep me busy :hippie:

Yeah,for years and years to come... lol !

#9 camMyco

camMyco

Modified Honey

• Expired Member
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

Great thread and timing, I have been Pm'ing questions about the difference between putting a cross section of a chosen boomer into a karo LC i.e. fahtsters ovenbag tek. and a print from the same mushie. I have a lot of reading to do. thanks for the links.

#10 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

I am just now doing an isolate using Fahtster's Oven Bag Tek. It is uber easy. I picked two nice size mushrooms from different multispore grows. I figure one of them should do well. If not, i'll start over.

#11 white_rabbit3

white_rabbit3

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

I 'm decided to go the agar route as far as isolating. Its just, I forgot how to get from agar to an inoculating syringe for the cakes.

:thumbup: I'm glad you guys brought up the oven bag stuff cuz it brought me to look up HIPs Turkey Cooker post tek, thread, whatever... I can really utilize this system for pasterizing easier ;) (no watching a thermometer and constant adjusting)

I'm still working on isolating some strains. Got some mex cub and pesa going right now and EQs and cambos ordered. EQs are going (same jar) invitro (1/2 pints) then also their going into a kind of:offtopic: straw cake via PF cake spawn to compost/worm to pasterized straw then pushed into these plastic pint cake shape containers with about 20 1/8 inch holes drilled in it. first time I've done this hope it works...

#12 gardentoad

gardentoad

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

My friend picks strains that grow vigorously, largish and pick cleanly from the casing. He dislikes all that patching and prefers strains that come away cleanly, leaving the casing intact.

#13 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:53 PM

dude. i tried agar. it worked fine. but its more shit to buy. you've got to buy petri dishes, agar, the periform tape to keep contams out of the petri dish, etc. This time all I got was some Karo and some pint jars (peanut butter jars!) and I've got an islolate. Faht's oven bag tek is THE SHIT. i would encourage you to look into it. it saved me big time.

#14 white_rabbit3

white_rabbit3

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

dude. i tried agar. it worked fine. but its more shit to buy. you've got to buy petri dishes, agar, the periform tape to keep contams out of the petri dish, etc. This time all I got was some Karo and some pint jars (peanut butter jars!) and I've got an islolate. Faht's oven bag tek is THE SHIT. i would encourage you to look into it. it saved me big time.

I'm not sure what your meaning, your getting an isolate using the oven tek..:eusa_eh: excuse me if I'm not geting it.

BUT... I think I'm going to want to see the rhiz. if you know what I mean.

#15 Sunstar

Sunstar

Gazer of the innerself

• Expired Member
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

I was wondering if you could buy fresh mushrooms from the store and take a tissue sample and put it into an LC jar. I see no reason why It wouldnt work. Has anyone ever tried this?

#16 white_rabbit3

white_rabbit3

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

OK..... MY BAD:special: . I've been looking at fatsters pasterizing oven tek,

I just found the fasters clone oven tek going over it now......

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

> faht's oven bag tek <

Edited by Sidestreet, 20 August 2015 - 08:51 AM.
fixed link

#18 PsychoDrogue

PsychoDrogue

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 05:09 PM

I was wondering if you could buy fresh mushrooms from the store and take a tissue sample and put it into an LC jar. I see no reason why It wouldnt work. Has anyone ever tried this?

i've done oysters and shiitake from the grocery store on agar in petri's. I didn't have the means to grow the shittake out any further but the oysters did well. I also cloned a portabello but never got around to doing anything with it either. I wont either since i saw that stamets vid that says their cancerous.

lights a cig

#19 joey_megabucks

joey_megabucks

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 747 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

sorry i didn't provide a link. basically you clone a piece of fresh tissue by putting it into a liquid culture instead of an agar plate. theres no need for a glove box or other complicated sterile procedures. good luck

#20 white_rabbit3

white_rabbit3

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

dude. i tried agar. it worked fine. but its more shit to buy. you've got to buy petri dishes, agar, etc. This time all I got was some Karo and some pint jars (peanut butter jars!) and I've got an islolate. Faht's oven bag tek is THE SHIT.

Thanks.. I've worked with turkey bags before inoculating and other make shift issues, its cool, but since I've built and use a glove box. I just think when you have 3 4 or more to do a 'glovebx' is EZ'R.

If I had no glvbx. or PC.. a foaf uses PF's hydrogen peroxide brown rice powder cloning tek (its on the dvd) I'd like to try that sometime.

I apologize that I'm stuck on the agar transfer deal.. I like the idea of getting a true isolate down to selection of the rhizomorphic sector, 'I just want to see it' to satisfy the little control :evil: freak in me.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!