Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Purchasing a Grow Light... Where are the best deals?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

My friend from a galaxy far, far away had a bad day yesterday. One of his suns went supernova... The good sun. Now he has to grow hydro in his 7-Series Millenium Falcon. That thing's pimp.
He's wondering where he should go (Links Appreciated) to buy himself a quality lighting setup. He would also greatly appreciate tips on purchasing and shipping without creating a papertrail... Or at least not one that leads to the whereabouts of the Millenium Falcon. I should also mention that he's a cheap bastard.

Thank you in advance everyone. (This is my first Botanicals post)

Peace,
Al and the Wookie

#2 Guest_texas_bob_*

Guest_texas_bob_*

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:20 AM

I know a site that has HPS and MH in new and refurbished ballast. I was looking at the econo 400 watt HPS that for $110.00 I think that is a good deal there here is a link
http://www.insidesun...ction=pricelist and http://www.insidesun...ion=item&id=747

#3 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:08 PM

Don't buy from inside sun !!!!!!!!! He's not a responsable person to buy from . i nkow from experience .

#4 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:18 PM

I bought a econo 400 hps ballast , that shit weights like hell , i had to pay like $80.00 for shipp to P.R., when i recieve the package the batwing reflector was mising , there was a note that said he didn't have available at the time and when recieved the order he made he 'll send me the reflector, a month passed and i email him and he said that i had to pay for the shipp for the reflector because he mailed it and it was return because of the address was wrong , how can that be if he allready have mailed me before , i still remember his dame name Mike, just take a look at overgrow and you will see the complains or just ask about inside sun .
I forgot to say that the ballast just work for about 2 days ........
If you want a good ballast go to Ebay and take a look (OjO).......///////////............

best wishes !!!!!!!!!always ...................///////////////////////

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

http://www.mdhydro.com/hydrotech.html

Hands down, the best in the buisness!

#6 Guest_texas_bob_*

Guest_texas_bob_*

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:29 PM

I have never order from inside sun sun just posting what I thought was a good dal. Thanks for the heads up 1976. Loopers link looks like a good deal something I might check into.

#7 Guest_afraidofamerica_*

Guest_afraidofamerica_*

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:50 PM

If you know what you're doing it's not too hard to build your own. Visit a good local hardware store and pick up the ballast. Depending on where you live they can be a pain in the ass to find a proper one. If you're really paranoid buy the components at different locales and remember to always pay with cash.

Peace
-AoA

#8 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:46 PM

for hps i like "hortilux" and for MH i like "eye" bulbs..if you wanted to know.......

peace

#9 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:25 AM

AoA, do you by any chance have a link to schematics/parts list? Last time around he bought an M50 Ballast from a local electrical supply shop. It consisted of a big, white box (ballast) with a socket at the bottom and a hook on top. Vertical mount. He couldn't find a remote ballast anywhere. The new setup's probably going to wind up consisting of 2 lights: 400w HPS and 400w MH.

#10 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 12:29 AM

And python... Thanks, I did want to know... You read my mind. HOW DO YOU DO THAT??? Must come in very handy with the ladies.

Peace

#11 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 01:05 AM

well i just know what works best, and i figured your using the lights for cannabis........so i just put the two together........

if you need any help with starting a grow or help getting through one...start a thread and the info will flow nicely.....

peace

#12 grasshopper wilkins

grasshopper wilkins

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:46 AM

get a cheap reflector w/ a switchable ballast and high grade bulbs like python suggested. the econo cool system by sunlight supply is a good deal for a reflector.

#13 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:17 AM

My local hydro store is the best. They sell both new and used stuff, they do trade-ins and that's cool as hell. They have everything you could ever need and at great prices. Unfortunately I can't tell you where it is because it would disclose my location but if you send me a pm I may give you a clue.

#14 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

Before you lay out big bucks for fancy bulbs check out your local giant franchised hardware store. Phillips 400W HPS is only $20 at mine and I didn't see much difference in plant growth than I did with the expensive bulb that I first bought. And the Phillips lasted longer too, a whole year, before I could measure a big enough drop in output that I had to replace it.

#15 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:07 AM

From what I've heard, the bulb does increase your output, but having a lamp thats replaced on time..like every 3-4 months, will keep your output stable. As bulbs get older they produce less lumens. Good friend owns a hydro shop, he told me to go with cheap bulbs and replace regularly.

#16 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2005 - 10:19 AM

I agree with Funkyone. Replace a cheap bulb every 4-6 mos and save the cash.

#17 python

python

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

i'd be weary of "local hydro stores"..............but thats just me, as they are often times watched......but usually, you'll be ok..........i love the internet for purchases, to safe addy's.

#18 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

Python, do you have any favorite sites for this type of purchase? I've been searching the net for days now, continually finding a better price. I'm trying to find a happy medium between price and customer service.

#19 altered_states

altered_states

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 480 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:28 PM

I am also weary of the "local hydro stores". I know for a fact that the two shops within driving distance are more than happy to show the local fuzz videotapes of the parking lot, purchase records, etc. Whatever it takes to keep the fuzz from bringing heat on the store itself.

#20 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 March 2005 - 02:54 PM

Store I know has been in bussiness over 15 years without a problem. I always paid cash and never parked in front. Another store in my area is notorious for letting cops photo cars and turning over info but they are a franchise so I would expect that. The other store is a Ma n Pa store.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!